Apple’s New Spaceship Campus Has One Flaw – and It Hurts

piemadd

I want pictures of employees walking into the glass....XD

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Do people on smartphones now equal birds flying into windows???  

Just couldn't help modifying a part of the Humane Societies bird tips for this... xD

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/bird_safe_windows.html

How to help an employees who has walked into a window

• Gently cover and catch the employee with a towel and place them in a paper bag or cardboard box (with air holes) that is securely closed.
  • Keep the employee in a quiet, warm, dark place, away from activity.
  • Check on the employee every 30 minutes, but don't touch the employee.
  • If the employee seems to recover, carry the container outside and open it. Then step back, remain quiet, and see if the employee walks away. If they don't walk  away, carefully take them back inside.
  • If the employee doesn't recover within a few hours, but is still breathing, contact an Apple rehabilitator.

5 hours ago, themctipers said:

this isn't a flaw.

this is a e s t h e t i c

fucking.. people...

Did you mean:

Spoiler

11-854-041-02.jpg

FUNCTION OVER AESTHETICS PEOPLE

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Did you mean:

Hide contents

11-854-041-02.jpg

i dont get it

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

11 minutes ago, themctipers said:

i dont get it

A case that aesthetically was pleasing to everyone but had almost Zero airflow because of improper ventilation, making the case just a big hot box for the sake of attrractivness

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

30 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

A case that aesthetically was pleasing to everyone but had almost Zero airflow because of improper ventilation, making the case just a big hot box for the sake of attrractivness

but this time its actually nice

as in no overheating.. humans.

only idiots who walk into panes of glass

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

As employees are walking into panes of glass... meanwhile in the parking lot of Apple's campus...

truck.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Lol, it would be like Apple to remove safety measures from their glass panes because "they don't look good".

Reminds me of the hundreds of thousands of birds that die in migration in the US because of the glass on high-rise buildings. It's actually kind of insane how many birds die to thinking that there's no glass where there is. And you can certainly not tell the birdies to "git gud" like you can with humans.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Lol, it would be like Apple to remove safety measures from their glass panes because "they don't look good".

Reminds me of the hundreds of thousands of birds that die in migration in the US because of the glass on high-rise buildings. It's actually kind of insane how many birds die to thinking that there's no glass where there is. And you can certainly not tell the birdies to "git gud" like you can with humans.

Well, you can try telling the birds to "git gud", it's just not going to do anything...  Hopefully less birds run into their windows than employees.

I think a more interesting side point on this is that reading a MarketWatch article on this, they point out that Apple could be in violation of California workplace safety laws if they removed safety markings from their windows for 'aesthetic' reasons...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/people-are-walking-into-glass-at-the-new-apple-headquarters-2018-02-15

While the issue might seem humorous, there are workplace regulations that Apple could be violating. California law requires that “employees shall be protected against the hazard of walking through glass by barriers or by conspicuous durable markings,” but the company has not been subject to citations, according to U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration data. If Apple was found to violate the law, it could be subjected to fines and other measures to ensure the company addressed the problem, according to a spokeswoman from the California Department of Industrial relations.

7 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

83 year olds aren't going to be glued to their phones, they look where they are going

Nope, even before my Dad had a stroke he didn't look where he was going, he's now 87... now he CAN'T see where he's going very well at all, has very poor peripheral vision, and his overall eyesight is REALLY bad right now.

My mum also doesn't look where she's going, she's walked into me quite a few times as she's looking at something to the side or even behind her as she's walking forward, LOL... makes me laugh apart from when  she's knocked scalding hot coffee all over me xD

[edit] they don't look at their phones though... they don't hardly know how to even, lol

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

inb4 people start running into windows on purpose to blow this whole thing out of proportion for no reason

First time in a while Windows has run well

Imagine if someone threw a rock at one of the widows....

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

That's just funny I mean how distracted you must be when walking. Better yet hypnotized. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

According to Apple they only had to rope off the areas because the roof heating system wasn't working properly (but was presumably promptly fixed). Of course you can argue that it's a bad design if it needs help to accommodate snow, but that's kind of the nature of architecture. 

.... Why not just install a fucking gutter system?

It'd be more economical and environmentally friendly because it doesn't require power...If you need these reasons to just do what make sense in the first place.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

20 hours ago, Energycore said:

Birbs used to fly into my house but they don't anymore.

Looks like they learned to git gud.

Looks like you can tell a birb to git gud. Get rekt scrub *dabs*

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 2/17/2018 at 5:09 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Apple is not responsible for people not looking where they are going.....

No, but just like everyone else they are responsible for making sure the workplace is safe.   People don't just walk into glass doors because they are distracted, sometimes they just don't see it because by it's very nature and intention it is transparent.

Also they have a duty of care to people who are visually impaired.  This is why all steps are mandated to have colored edges in some countries.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Both my brothers, at the time, worked for the company that put all the glass up. I sent them both the article, and laughed their asses off. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

12 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

It'd be more economical and environmentally friendly because it doesn't require power...If you need these reasons to just do what make sense in the first place.

Gutters don't work with heavy snow or unregulated build up.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Is Apple making zombie-proof glass? F#CKING AWESOME!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

omg xD that's hilarious

Although I'm not sure I can actually blame apple for a bad design in this case.  I mean, people on their phones walk into all sorts of things due to a lack of attention, so I'm pretty sure that's the real issue here, not the glass.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

omg xD that's hilarious

Although I'm not sure I can actually blame apple for a bad design in this case.  I mean, people on their phones walk into all sorts of things due to a lack of attention, so I'm pretty sure that's the real issue here, not the glass.

You should see the zombies who walk around NYC with their heads buried in the phones.... 

Damn kids! 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

14 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Because design and aesthetics is critical to architectural design; it's not all about function. But as @Drak3 said, snow and ice causes problems for any flat roof.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

20 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because design and aesthetics is critical to architectural design; it's not all about function. But as @Drak3 said, snow and ice causes problems for any flat roof.

I wouldn't think an imperceptible difference in height one one end, with a gutter on the other end would make that much of a difference.

Put a single long heat strip under the space between the gutter and the roof so that no bump is formed, and I would think it would work fine.

Or just... ya'know..... not have a dumbass flat roof that causes this problem in the first place. Maybe have one of them fancy roofs that humanity has been building for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

I wouldn't think an imperceptible difference in height one one end, with a gutter on the other end would make that much of a difference.

Put a single long heat strip under the space between the gutter and the roof so that no bump is formed, and I would think it would work fine.

Or just... ya'know..... not have a dumbass flat roof that causes this problem in the first place. Maybe have one of them fancy roofs that humanity has been building for hundreds if not thousands of years.

There is a heater on the roof already that solves the problem. The better question is how did software to run the heater not work properly. 

In case you haven't noticed, the vast majority of commercial buildings have a flat roof. This isn't an issue unique to Apple -- nor is the icicles around the outside. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.