Scam trick?

Walt

Hi everyone,

About a week ago I bought something from a second hand online site (kinda like eBay) I payed with PayPal. It was taking him a week to send it so I started looking at his account. I saw that he was selling the exact same product again (same photos). That’s the reason I think I’m getting scammed. I did not asked him about this. 

Now he said he had problems with his PayPal account and he will refund it to me. Then he wants me to send the money to his other PayPal account. Is this a trick? (I don’t know PayPal but can he take the money back or something? So he has double the money?)

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

18 minutes ago, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

About a week ago I bought something from a second hand online site (kinda like eBay) I payed with PayPal. It was taking him a week to send it so I started looking at his account. I saw that he was selling the exact same product again (same photos). That’s the reason I think I’m getting scammed. I did not asked him about this. 

Now he said he had problems with his PayPal account and he will refund it to me. Then he wants me to send the money to his other PayPal account. Is this a trick? (I don’t know PayPal but can he take the money back or something? So he has double the money?)

Thanks!

I would take the refund, and say no thank you.

Likely he's having a problem with his PayPal account because it got flagged for scamming ;)

If he refuses the refund, contact PayPal immediately to open a dispute.

You could of course, take your chances and try the 2nd account, but I wouldn't risk it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would take the refund, and say no thank you.

Likely he's having a problem with his PayPal account because it got flagged for scamming ;)

If he refuses the refund, contact PayPal immediately to open a dispute.

You could of course, take your chances and try the 2nd account, but I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks for the quick respone!

I think I'm not taking that risk ;) And there is now way he can cancel the refund later and keep the money?

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

6 minutes ago, Walt said:

Thanks for the quick respone!

I think I'm not taking that risk ;) And there is now way he can cancel the refund later and keep the money?

I have no idea if you can cancel a refund - never tried to.

But if he somehow manages, just contact PayPal immediately and ask them to force the refund.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, Canada EH said:

-snip-

17 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

-snip-

Now he said he can’t send it back to me and I need to open a dispute so I can get it back. Is this a trick? (So I maybe can’t open dispute for the second time to report him as scammer?) Or does he really have problems with his account?

23 hours ago, Walt said:

(kinda like eBay)

That 'like' in there means you lose eBay's powerful buyer protection and get basically no protection. 

More dodgy then Del Boy at a flea market. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

8 hours ago, Walt said:

Now he said he can’t send it back to me and I need to open a dispute so I can get it back. Is this a trick? (So I maybe can’t open dispute for the second time to report him as scammer?) Or does he really have problems with his account?

At this point, drop everything, contact PayPal right now, and open a dispute asking for a full refund.

He's for sure trying to scam you lol - and on the tiny chance he actually is having legit PayPal account issues? Not your problem, not worth the risk.

Also I hope this is a lesson - unless the "ebay-like" site has "ebay-like" buyer protections too, you should probably just stick to eBay.