Wired Cat6 Ethernet connection half speed of 5ghz wireless

Seanw3490
Just now, Seanw3490 said:

Gotcha so if my router is gigabyte capable then it must be the LAN port on the tv then. 

I paid so much attention making sure every component could handle over 100mb/s but I never even considered that the LAN port on the tv would limit the speed. Every other component I made sure was capable. 

2 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

Gotcha so if my router is gigabyte capable then it must be the LAN port on the tv then. 

Not so fast it could be the cables... many CAT6 cables are not CAT6 cables. https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/networking/hard-truth-cat6-cables/

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Seanw3490 said:

Yes.  Or one of the cables is damaged, but since they're new that's unlikely.

Also keep in mind that the 10/100/1000mbps speeds are theoretical.  Under the perfect conditions you should be able to send data across it at that speed.  It's probably not going to happen in the real world.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Not so fast it could be the cables... many CAT6 cables are not CAT6 cables. https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/networking/hard-truth-cat6-cables/

If it was just a rebranded CAT5e cable, he would still be able to get over 100mbps.  Technically, CAT5e can transmit at gigabit speeds.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If it was just a rebranded CAT5e cable, he would still be able to get over 100mbps.  Technically, CAT5e can transmit at gigabit speeds.

Unless you factor in packet headers and tails. Once again these speeds are theoretical.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes.  Or one of the cables is damaged, but since they're new that's unlikely.

Also keep in mind that the 10/100/1000mbps speeds are theoretical.  Under the perfect conditions you should be able to send data across it at that speed.  It's probably not going to happen in the real world.

Right but I think more than likely it's the tv port. I can't find any info on the specifics of the LAN port. It's a Samsung un55mu6300 tv. The cat 6 cables I bought were from amazon I attached the picture. 

IMG_0943.PNG

1 minute ago, Seanw3490 said:

Right but I think more than likely it's the tv port. I can't find any info on the specifics of the LAN port. It's a Samsung un55mu6300 tv. The cat 6 cables I bought were from amazon I attached the picture. 

IMG_0943.PNG

Looks like a phony CAT6 to me. That speed is CAT5e.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Looks like a phony CAT6 to me.

It's an amazon choice cable with almost 5 star reviews

Unless you factor in packet headers and tails. Once again these speeds are theoretical.

The point I was making is that it wouldn't be capped at 100mbps.  He should be able to get the same speeds as with WiFI.

Just now, Seanw3490 said:

It's an amazon choice cable with almost 5 star reviews

The speed is CAT5e

The speed is CAT5e

You can't know that without taking it apart and besides 5e is good up to 100mb/a anyways so I shouldn't be running half speed of the wireless. 

Amazon is pretty picky who gets the "amazon choice" designation. And out if the 290 reviews that gave it 5 star someone would have noticed. 

What do you think joostinonline. You think the cables are bullshit? Or is it my tv LAN port just only being a 10/100

8 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The speed is CAT5e

No it's not.  And as I said before, even if it was CAT5e, it wouldn't explain this problem.

2 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

What do you think joostinonline. You think the cables are bullshit? Or is it my tv LAN port just only being a 10/100

The TV.  Unless you're having problems with wireless, I'd use the cables for something else.  Even if they were phony, you'd still be getting much higher speeds.

Also, have to admit I'm jealous of your speeds.  I'm paying $80 a month for 65mbps. xD

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

No it's not.  And as I said before, even if it was CAT5e, it wouldn't explain this problem.

I agree with you. The other guy is wrong on both accounts. It's not 5e and even if it was it wouldn't explain the issue. 

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The TV.  Unless you're having problems with wireless, I'd use the cables for something else.  Even if they were phony, you'd still be getting much higher speeds.

Also, have to admit I'm jealous of your speeds.  I'm paying $80 a month for 65mbps. xD

Oh I was paying $70 a month for 30mb/s for a couple years so when I bought the 4k tv and realized I didn't have the bandwidth for it I called and barely had to complain and they upgraded me to 100 at no extra cost and every time I run the test through the 5ghz wireless it's over 110mb/s. I have time warner (now it's spectrum I think)   Try calling and complaining. 

I don't even have cable for my tv. I had cable installed a couple years back specifically for internet because the Only other options available at the time were Verizon DSL which was a joke or satellite internet which tops out at like 25mb/s. I live in the country so fios isn't available. 

So I think we probably determined it is the TV. It’s not just them cheapingout, 100mbps should be more than sufficient for 4K streaming. The wireless has to be faster to account for instability in signal strength and distance away from router.

If you really want to test, plug the Ethernet cable into a PC with a gigabit connection to be sure.

I am assuming you were just perplexed at the different internet speeds on the two network connections.

Wired 

this is actually the fastest wired speed yet tonight. 

IMG_0945.JPG

1 minute ago, Ertman said:

So I think we probably determined it is the TV. It’s not just them cheapingout, 100mbps should be more than sufficient for 4K streaming. The wireless has to be faster to account for instability in signal strength and distance away from router.

If you really want to test, plug the Ethernet cable into a PC with a gigabit connection to be sure.

I am assuming you were just perplexed at the different internet speeds on the two network connections.

Yea I believe we found the route of the problem to be the tv's LAN port but I will test the cable tomorrow on a gigabyte capable laptop. However if the cables were bogus I assume my wireless wouldn't get above 100 because I also bought a 6 ft of the exact same cable I used to run between the modem and router. If it was cat5e my wireless theoretically should be slower

Do you have a laptop you can plug the cable into and test it?

What is the model of your TV?

3 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

Yea I believe we found the route of the problem to be the tv's LAN port but I will test the cable tomorrow on a gigabyte capable laptop. However if the cables were bogus I assume my wireless wouldn't get above 100 because I also bought a 6 ft of the exact same cable I used to run between the modem and router. If it was cat5e my wireless theoretically should be slower

I am fairly confident it will be the tv port.

4 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Do you have a laptop you can plug the cable into and test it?

What is the model of your TV?

Samsung un55mu6300