Wired Cat6 Ethernet connection half speed of 5ghz wireless

Seanw3490

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I am new here and signed up specifically to get information on something that makes no sense to me. I recently purchased a new 4k Samsung smart tv and I also upgraded my internet speed from 30 to 100mb/s. My router is dual band and on the 5ghz at night I routinely get speeds of 110-130mb/s on both testmy.net and speed of me (ranked two most reliable on google). I decided to get a hard wired Ethernet connection which I assumed would keep my speeds more constant and reliable for the 4k content. I purchased both a 6ft and 50ft cat6 cable. The shorter one is for the modem to router then the 50 ft from the router slot 1 to my tv. With the wired connection I am averaging 50-90. I even switched back and forth at the same time doing the speed test on both sites wired than again wireless (5ghz). Could someone explain why I am getting half speed with a wired Ethernet connection?  Makes no sense. Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I am new here and signed up specifically to get information on something that makes no sense to me. I recently purchased a new 4k Samsung smart tv and I also upgraded my internet speed from 30 to 100mb/s. My router is dual band and on the 5ghz at night I routinely get speeds of 110-130mb/s on both testmy.net and speed of me (ranked two most reliable on google). I decided to get a hard wired Ethernet connection which I assumed would keep my speeds more constant and reliable for the 4k content. I purchased both a 6ft and 50ft cat6 cable. The shorter one is for the modem to router then the 50 ft from the router slot 1 to my tv. With the wired connection I am averaging 50-90. I even switched back and forth at the same time doing the speed test on both sites wired than again wireless (5ghz). Could someone explain why I am getting half speed with a wired Ethernet connection?  Makes no sense. Thanks. 

probably the length of wire. idk, i may be wrong. can you not move the router closer to the tv?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Are we talking about over the internet or locally?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Your speeds are based on the slowest component. A CAT6 (or even CAT6a) cable will only run at 10mbps if one of your ports is CAT3.  Most likely one of your ports is rated for 100mbps.  It could be the TV or the router.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, SeanAngelo said:

probably the length of wire. idk, i may be wrong. can you not move the router closer to the tv?

The length generally does not affect the speeds, unless you are pushing it beyond 50ft.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Would just like to add that anyone thinking user error or speed fluctuations is incorrect. Did it late at night, no other internet traffic in the house all apps on the tv closed, and I ran the test 4 times alternating wired with wireless. 

Wired 65-85

Wireless 110-125

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your speeds are based on the slowest component. A CAT6 (or even CAT6a) cable will only run at 10mbps if one of your ports is CAT3.  Most likely one of your ports is rated for 100mbps.  It could be the TV or the router.

Cat6 is good up to 1GB/s. If anything it's overkill. I only needed a cat5e. 

I see some wrong info here. Firstly Cat 5e and Cat 6 are rated for 1 Gbps up to 100 Meters or 320 Feet or so. My guess is a device in the chain has 10/100 Ethernet ports, either the router or TV. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Seanw3490 said:

Would just like to add that anyone thinking user error or speed fluctuations is incorrect. Did it late at night, no other internet traffic in the house all apps on the tv closed, and I ran the test 4 times alternating wired with wireless. 

Wired 65-85

Wireless 110-125

Please see my previous comment.  Also tell me the router model.  That might help determine the speeds.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Also can't be the tv considering the test I ran was on the tv for both wired and wireless and I alternated. 

First went into network settings and used the wired connection. 

Then went into network settings and used the 5ghz wireless 

I went back and forth each time running the speed test twice before switching back

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Please see my previous comment.  Also tell me the router model.  That might help determine the speeds.

I did it made no sense. Cat 6 is good up to 1GB/s

5 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

Cat6 is good up to 1GB/s. If anything it's overkill. I only needed a cat5e. 

That doesn't matter.  CAT6 is capable of gigabit speeds, but the devices in between need to be able to send and receive at those speeds too.  If one of them doesn't, then it will go to the lowest speed.

Putting car tires on a bike won't let you pedal at 60MPH.

Netgear nighthawk ac1900 smart wi-fi router model r7000

although I don't know what that has to do with the wired connection being slower than the wireless 

3 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

I did it made no sense. Cat 6 is good up to 1GB/s

The cabling isnt the issue. Some device makers stick  10/100 Port on their routers or TV's because they can save a few dollars. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

That doesn't matter.  CAT6 is capable of gigabit speeds, but the devices in between need to be able to send and receive at those speeds too.  If one of them doesn't, then it will go to the lowest speed.

I understand that. The modem is good up to 300mb/s. and then a Cat6 to the router and then a Cat6 to my tv. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The cabling isnt the issue. Some device makers stick  10/100 Port on their routers or TV's because they can save a few dollars. 

I'll have to check the specs on the router then if you think that is the case. 

Just now, Seanw3490 said:

I'll have to check the specs on the router then if you think that is the case. 

I mean either way the 4k content is coming through just fine.  When I watch something 4k on Netflix I can hit info and it shows the speed build to 15.26mb/s on the stream 2160 (wired or wireless) that's the exact speed the 4k content streams at on Netflix every time. 

It was just confusing me that I was running slower with the Ethernet connection. 

Just now, Seanw3490 said:

I understand that. The modem is good up to 300mb/s. and then a Cat6 to the router and then a Cat6 to my tv. 

You aren't understanding.  The Ethernet port on the TV is probably only capable of 100mbps.  It's not uncommon.  Like @Donut417 said, they do it to save money, because almost nobody uses wired anymore.  If the NIC built into the TV is only rated for 100mbps, it doesn't matter if you've got a damn fiber optic cable running between them.  Also keep in mind that these are theoretical speeds.  That's why you aren't always getting a steady 100mbps speed.

Please don't dismiss our explanation. It does make sense.  It's very frustrating when someone asks for help and rejects the answer.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

You aren't understanding.  The Ethernet port on the TV is probably only capable of 100mbps.  It's not uncommon.  Like @Donut417 said, they do it to save money, because almost nobody uses wired anymore.  If the NIC built into the TV is only rated for 100mbps, it doesn't matter if you've got a damn fiber optic cable running between them.  Also keep in mind that these are theoretical speeds.  That's why you aren't always getting a steady 100mbps speed.

Please don't dismiss our explanation. It does make sense.  It's very frustrating when someone asks for help and rejects the answer.

You were misunderstanding. I wasn't rejecting your answer. I thought you meant the port on the router would only allow 100mb max not on the tv. I meant no disrespect. I do apologize. I was answering an earlier reply when you had said that. 

16 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The length generally does not affect the speeds, unless you are pushing it beyond 50ft.

cat 6 is rated at over 150 for just 1000mbs so that doesn't make any sense. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

32 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

Is this over the internet or local between a NAS and your device?

I was answering the reply when you had mentioned that everything in line had to be correct by saying that I made sure the router and modem both were capable of those speeds. It never crossed my mind that the tv LAN input would or may be limited. I appreciate the responses. 

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Is this over the internet or local between a NAS and your device.

In my home I just my internet through my dual band router at 5ghz is on average 110-130mb/s but today I ran my Cat6 cable from the modem to the router(6ft) and another Cat6 from the router to the tv(50ft) and the wired connection is only averaging 80mb/s. 

my tv is a Samsung mu6300 55" if that helps. 

1 minute ago, Seanw3490 said:

You were misunderstanding. I wasn't rejecting your answer. I thought you meant the port on the router would only allow 100mb max not on the tv. I meant no disrespect. I do apologize. I was answering an earlier reply when you had said that. 

It could have been the router, but I checked and yours is gigabit capable.  I went through something very similar awhile back.  I used to have a router that could transmit 300mbps over wireless, but the built in ports are only capable of 100mbps.  Wireless is faster than wired, unless you're very far away.  I upgraded my router to a nicer one, only to find out that one of my computers had the same problem.  It could transfer 400mbps wirelessly, but only 100mbps over a wire.

Things are only as fast as your slowest component.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

It could have been the router, but I checked and yours is gigabit capable.  I went through something very similar awhile back.  I used to have a router that could transmit 300mbps over wireless, but the built in ports are only capable of 100mbps.  Wireless is faster than wired, unless you're very far away.  I upgraded my router to a nicer one, only to find out that one of my computers had the same problem.  It could transfer 400mbps wirelessly, but only 100mbps over a wire.

Things are only as fast as your slowest component.

Gotcha so if my router is gigabyte capable then it must be the LAN port on the tv then.