1080P 24" vs 40" 4k vs 19 " 720P

a7mddiaa

is there a lot of difference between 720p at 19” and 1080 at 24” ?
I was thinking of buying a 1080p monitor a 24 inch one
but after calculating the ppi of my 720P monitor it was around 80 and for 24” 1080 it would be around 90 
so the question is
Is it worth the upgrade or should i save money and get a 4k 24 inch monitor or a 40 inch 4k tv

for... what?

i can tell you that 40" 4K is fucking beautiful for watching DL blurays (50GB! pacific rim was awesome)

i can also tell you that 40" 4K is fucking insane for gaming as mine had... 250ms input delay.

I can also tell you that 1080p 24" is ugly, but 4k 27" is also ugly because I sit really close to my monitor, but then 768p on a 15.6" laptop looks 'fine' when it is a glossy display and the pixels just 'blend in'

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

There is a huge difference between 720p and 1080p regardless of screen size most of the time.

Depending on your use case, but more often than not it is worth it to upgrade from 720p.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

my uses are mainly the following:

youtube , browsing ,reading news 30/50%

coding 20 %

doing very basic 3d models 5 / 15 %

messing around with the os until it is f-ed up and i can't reboot 10%

the rest is gaming but if the latency was so bad i still got my monitor

but are all tvs latency that bad?

2 minutes ago, a7mddiaa said:

my uses are mainly the following:

youtube , browsing ,reading news 30/50%

coding 20 %

doing very basic 3d models 5 / 15 %

messing around with the os until it is f-ed up and i can't reboot 10%

the rest is gaming but if the latency was so bad i still got my monitor

but are all tvs latency that bad?

Yeah, TVs are pretty bad for gaming. Sounds like a 24" 1080p monitor wouldn't be a bad option for you. I really like my 27" 1080p monitor(Dell SE2717HR), but that's a pricey affair...

-Moved to Displays-

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Samsung 43MU7000 43 Inch UHD 4K Smart LED

this is the one i am talking about

where can i find what is its latency

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Moved to Displays-

sorry i didn't know there is a section for displays

I wouldn't personally go with a 1080p display larger than 23", but that's just me. At around 27" I'd look for 1440p. 

@themctipers 768p "fine" on a glossy 15.6" laptop screen??!! That's truly hilarious right there. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, a7mddiaa said:

sorry i didn't know there is a section for displays

You're fine, don't worry about it (=

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I wouldn't personally go with a 1080p display larger than 23", but that's just me. At around 27" I'd look for 1440p. 

@themctipers 768p "fine" on a glossy 15.6" laptop screen??!! That's truly hilarious right there. 

im dead fucking serious tho

its sharp enough for me to not see the pixels

it only looks terrible on a matte display, where the borders between pixels are huge, the pixels seriously do just blend in and i cant peck them out on a nice glossy(bottom of the barrel) display

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

its kinda fine on a 19" so ye it probbly is on a laptop

i can't buy 1440p its not avilable in my country and it costs around 300 usd in us 4k monitor are around 400/450 

Just now, themctipers said:

im dead fucking serious tho

its sharp enough for me to not see the pixels

it only looks terrible on a matte display, where the borders between pixels are huge, the pixels seriously do just blend in and i cant peck them out on a nice glossy(bottom of the barrel) display

I need glasses, but without I can see every single damn pixel on those screens. I know because I've used one every single freaking day for the last 4 years or so now. Even 23" 1080p is stretching it. Matte 768p displays are better in my opinion. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I need glasses, but without I can see every single damn pixel on those screens. I know because I've used one every single freaking day for the last 4 years or so now. Even 23" 1080p is stretching it. Matte 768p displays are better in my opinion. 

using glasses right now

i seriously cannot see the damn difference

i can peck out the pixels on my 4k monitor but not glossy 768p for some reason.

matte is worse unless its a good coating. most matte displays have garbage coating that makes 1080p IPS look like 768p with its fucking HUGE pixel borders on the film or whatever, and having black spaces between the pixels be HUGE

if i try to look much closer yea i can see the difference and its quite fucking shit but i cant see the difference if im just viewing it 2-3ft away it looks quite sharp..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

For that kind of usage, 1080p would be pretty good. Thing is, since you are upgrading from 720p, 108p with be really good for you.

4k, in my opinion, is still not worth it for 2 reasons. 1, 4k contents are not that widespread yet and 2, 1080p content looks terrible on a 4k display unless you turn the resolution down, which defeats its purpose altogether.

ye this is one of the reasons i can't decide to buy it yet

4k content isn't everywhere and my internet is 2mbps i can barely watch 1080p videos

i can pay more for higher speeds but there is no 25mbps internet connection available in Egypt which is Netflix recommended speed 

so i will be able to enjoy the full res only in os 

which i never tried but do you think windows / mac os will look alot better in 4k ?

10 minutes ago, a7mddiaa said:

ye this is one of the reasons i can't decide to buy it yet

4k content isn't everywhere and my internet is 2mbps i can barely watch 1080p videos

i can pay more for higher speeds but there is no 25mbps internet connection available in Egypt which is Netflix recommended speed 

so i will be able to enjoy the full res only in os 

which i never tried but do you think windows / mac os will look alot better in 4k ?

Well, yes to a certain extent. Try reducing your resolution a bit to see the difference. Same effect with 1080p (2k) against 4k (UHD). It comes down to preference. I have a triple monitor setup and although my 2 months old PC easily supports 4K gaming, I went with 1080p 24" monitors for now. Emphasis on the "for now" part :D.

considering your internet speed, I wouldn't go with 4k, sorry!

thanks for helping 

just one last question

why does some 1080p displays look better than others

my friend have a 22 " 1080p monitor and it looks really bad and some 1080p TVs i see in stores look so good

my friends monitor colors are weird white doesn't look like white it looks colored like old TVs

1 hour ago, a7mddiaa said:

thanks for helping 

just one last question

why does some 1080p displays look better than others

my friend have a 22 " 1080p monitor and it looks really bad and some 1080p TVs i see in stores look so good

my friends monitor colors are weird white doesn't look like white it looks colored like old TVs

Color gamut is every important for monitors. For example, if the monitor says its color gamut is 90% or more accurate to adobe RGB or sRGB, then its good. 100% though would be the best in terms of color reproduction, but cost quite a lot. Preference is what matters in here, some like the colors of LG monitors, some like Samsung, Philips and so... Best to go to the store, have a look and decide... 

23 minutes ago, a7mddiaa said:

can you recommend one from thissite below 4000

ASUS VX248H Looks good for the price. But I no idea if the color reproduction is good or if you'd like it. If you could check it out in store, please do before buying or if you have a solid returns policy for change of mind, then you can consider it.  

You can get a 4K display 40inch of eBay (Korean Wasabi Mango), with a DP & HDMI input and 4:4:4 Chroma @ 60Hz This is very important at lot of TV's do not support this., very low lag, with 100% scaling (Normal) it looks like 1920X1080 on a 24 Inch Monitor with a lot more screen real estate, I switched from a 32 Inch @ 2560x1440, to 3 of these and have not looked back, The color reproduction is a little variable but if you are using it for things which do not  need perfect color it is barley noticeable. I have had 3 of these for a about 2 years and not an issue. Yes I was worried they would be questionable when I ordered them, but would not give them up now. Hope this helps.

i wish i could but i dont live in us and if i oreder it i will pay tons of money for shipping