It's not just gamers that can't get Graphics cards, it's scientists as well.

grimreeper132
1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yes they could but it wouldn't make sense tbh. Nvidia is likely ramping down production for then new gpu release while amd doesn't manufacture their own chips so they might not have had enough control to ramp up production.

i think the price rise has more to do with this than miner demand.... 

miner demand is pretty consistent. and we consistently had GPU's for a decent price for a while. It's only this year it got crazy. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

>Inb4 'just let the gamers have their cards' or similar.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

1: why not get quadros to begin with? 

2: seriously, our radio signals haven't gotten anywhere interesting yet, what are they expecting to hear? A reply from someone that dosent know we even exist? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This reminds me of a few years back when a few scientists were explressing there concerns about the reserves of helium.  They were upset it was being wasted on party balloons when it was desperately need for research.  Being lighter than everything except hydrogen when released it floats of into the atmosphere from there it can actually escape gravity.

But fear not, just like Helium I am sure they will find a new natural reserve somewhere of 1080ti's or vega's. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

What do they want to learn from that radiation that is more helpful than folding proteins?

we can learn a lot about our universe, galaxy and even our own solar system, here's just 5 examples https://sciencing.com/top-discoveries-made-radio-telescopes-7566858.html

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

what we need is more gpu manufacturers, just 2 is not enough because there is a increasingly use for graphics cards by all sorts of scientists and businesses.

Another thing is that they are apparently using gamers graphic cards (they mention 500$ cards) and that may also explain the problem, this guys should be buying quadros not rx's or gtx's. I guess nvidia/amd would react different to increase demand for professional cards and at least they wouldn't be part of the problem.

It seems everyone is using gamers graphic cards for other uses this days and by the hundreds, no wonder this is all messed up.

Just now, asus killer said:

what we need is more gpu manufacturers, just 2 is not enough because there is a increasingly use for graphics cards by all sorts of scientists and businesses.

Another thing is that they are apparently using gamers graphic cards (they mention 500$ cards) and that may also explain the problem, this guys should be buying quadros not rx's or gtx's. I guess nvidia/amd would react different to increase demand for professional cards and at least they wouldn't be part of the problem.

It seems everyone is using gamers graphic cards for other uses this days and by the hundreds, no wonder this is all messed up.

that's not going to happen because of patents, same with CPUs for you to get into that business you would need to get access to the instruction sets that AMD and intel own, and I would imagine it's the same with GPUs

And more, several more

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

2: seriously, our radio signals haven't gotten anywhere interesting yet, what are they expecting to hear? A reply from someone that dosent know we even exist? 

I imagine because quadros cost too much, and they have found some intresting and somewhat important stuff, the wow signal, and also many other here's 5 https://sciencing.com/top-discoveries-made-radio-telescopes-7566858.html

36 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This reminds me of a few years back when a few scientists were explressing there concerns about the reserves of helium.  They were upset it was being wasted on party balloons when it was desperately need for research.  Being lighter than everything except hydrogen when released it floats of into the atmosphere from there it can actually escape gravity.

But fear not, just like Helium I am sure they will find a new natural reserve somewhere of 1080ti's or vega's. 

the helium fear is a real one, which will be solved pretty easily I would imagine, if they ever get nuclear fusion working properly

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

I imagine because quadros cost too much, and they have found some intresting and somewhat important stuff, the wow signal, and also many other here's 5 https://sciencing.com/top-discoveries-made-radio-telescopes-7566858.html

the helium fear is a real one, which will be solved pretty easily I would imagine, if they ever get nuclear fusion working properly

Apparently they have discovered a very large field that will supply current demand for a significant time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Scientists listening out for broadcasts by extra-terrestrials

Well I can think of more important research that we could be missing out on... :P (I'm kidding guys chill)

Either way this obviously isn't good, I hope manufacturers put in some special deals for researchers so that at least they can always get the hardware they need even if at an inflated price.

5 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I have a hard time believing scientists are going after 1060's at markup for their type of research. 

They're looking for the higher end cards, but the problem is not the price, it's the availability.

5 hours ago, BuckGup said:

But they could still ramp it up a bit. The demand has faded but they could have easily flooded the market a month ago and sitll made money. Still though people would buy GPUs

They couldn't know for sure that demand wouldn't drop in a matter of days. They've been burned in the past. They'd rather keep a steady production, knowing they'll sell everything, than overproduce.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Warning !!! Next few paragraphs might trigger some people. This is my own opinion, dont be offended please.

So what were they doing last year when new hardware got released ?

I dont see why they wouldnt buy new tech when it came out. The stock back then was lacking at first but a month later it it was all good before Bitcoin crazyness. 

They talk about the pricing now when new gen is around the corner. Pfff I dont feel sorry for them at all. I highly doubt the tech they have is so outdated that they cant do their work properly. 

I will be cheering if this pushes nvidia and amd to relsease more cards and make the market great again, otherwise its w/e.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

17 minutes ago, Thony said:

Maybe they didnt have budget for it.

18 minutes ago, Thony said:

Warning !!! Next few paragraphs might trigger some people. This is my own opinion, dont be offended please.

I dont see why they wouldnt buy new tech when it came out. The stock back then was lacking at first but a month later it it was all good before Bitcoin crazyness. 

They talk about the pricing now when new gen is around the corner. Pfff I dont feel sorry for them at all. I highly doubt the tech they have is so outdated that they cant do their work properly. 

I will be cheering if this pushes nvidia and amd to relsease more cards and make the market great again, otherwise its w/e.

wouldnt someone who is going for server farm style computing only go for blower style coolers? Couldnt they strike deals with manufacturers to allow them to take all of the stock of blower style cards? (offcourse at a little premium, because they will aboiusly want to create many expencive cards to maximize profits from mining rush)

9 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

It's not just gamers that can't get Graphics cards

One market, one price, one supply. I don't see how the identity of the buyer would make any difference, so... obviously, I guess? :P 

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That's like paying mining-craze prices without any mining craze needed, except worse. No one in their right mind would buy FirePros and especially Quadros unless they need any of the driver-locked features.

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

One market, one price, one supply. I don't see how the identity of the buyer would make any difference, so... obviously, I guess? :P 

because you only ever hear the gamers complaining, unless your looking at the BBC which means it is only heard of until it affects science

And more, several more

10 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

That being said I am surprised they don't have/can't get a direct connect with nVidea for these sales

The is one of the best ways to get it if you can't for some reason, get some press going and hey look Nvidia just offered to sort the issue out.

25 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

One market

that's not true. Quadros and gtx are not on the same market.

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The is one of the best ways to get it if you can't for some reason, get some press going and hey look Nvidia just offered to sort the issue out.

I suppose that is true, especially if you get press that don't understand the problem. 

And more, several more

10 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

Is this a joke? Who needs GPUs to listen for extra terrestrial broadcasts, and better yet, what is their scientific evidence that such broadcasts have the potential to happen? What are the chances of it happening?

A grant sounds good to help scientists do really good stuff like find a cure for canc----no, they're listening to space with radios... Maybe the grant should go to folding@home instead?

+1

You are kidding right? Most astronomical "listening" and "observing" are almost never done using audio or visual observations. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

8 minutes ago, asus killer said:

that's not true. Quadros and gtx are not on the same market.

And? THe title, which I quoted, is about gamers and scientists (buyers), not GTX and Quadros (products). And the article refers to mining, so we are talking about scientists and gamers trying to buy GPUs used by miners.

It's very much true.

Also computer scientists. Major headache trying to acquire card for Deep Learning at the moment. Trying to do a thesis here :S

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

And? THe title, which I quoted, is about gamers and scientists (buyers), not GTX and Quadros (products). And the article refers to mining, so we are talking about scientists and gamers trying to buy GPUs used by miners.

It's very much true.

they shouldn't be buying 500$ graphics cards in the 1st place, those are gamers cards, for the consumer gaming market. Different market from the scientific cards. I guess no one prohibits them from doing so, still, not the same market.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

they shouldn't be buying 500$ graphics cards in the 1st place,

"shouldn't"? What does it even mean? They will buy whatever cover they needs at the lowest cost, like anyone else.

those are gamers cards, for the consumer gaming market.

Those are GPUs, specialized processors focus on matrix operations. They are for the whoever can benefit from matrix handling market.

I guess no one prohibits them from doing so

Except maybe you, I guess :P 

they shouldn't be buying 500$ graphics cards in the 1st place, those are gamers cards, for the consumer gaming market. Different market from the scientific cards. I guess no one prohibits them from doing so, still, not the same market.

true but budgets don't always allow that, and if they need 64 cards about as powerful as a 1080ti (means to be about £650-700, are about £800-900) the cards they are meant to be buying are double to tripple that price, for not a massive gain in profromance they will take the consumer cards

And more, several more