Can excess thermal paste shorten other components too?

Can excess conductive thermal compound applied on the cpu shorten the graphics card and the memory?  

I really want to answer yes, it really depends on if the thermal paste you are using is conductive or not.

I would really advice you not to use to much thermal compound though.

the rule of thumb: less is more.

There are a bunch of video's showing you different methods for applying thermal compound on either GPU/CPU maybe have a look at those? :)

Well you'd have to do some wild acrobatic maneuvers to get the paste on your GPU and RAM, but if it's conductive then yes, it possibly could short something and hence you don't want spills. If you applied too much, clean up and try again.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

only if its conductive, there was also a video i watched a while back, which tested different applications (using less vs using just the right amount vs using too much) 

aslong as its not conductive, using more DID NOT have any negative impact on cooling, however using less DID (obviously)

The main concern would be conductive vs non conductive, using too much conductive could short something. 

1 minute ago, factorialandha said:

only if its conductive, there was also a video i watched a while back, which tested different applications (using less vs using just the right amount vs using too much) 

aslong as its not conductive, using more DID NOT have any negative impact on cooling, however using less DID (obviously)

The main concern would be conductive vs non conductive, using too much conductive could short something. 

I think it's this video:

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

thats one of them. theres another one by jayztwocents too.

as the posted video states by good old luke, dont go crazy with it, specially if its definitely not 100% non conductive, 

however worry more about using too little than using too much. Unless its conductive, and then use "just the right amount" :P

If its conductive paste, it will short-circuit. If its not conductive, it might block vital currencies resulting boot-loop, not booting and other errors. So just be careful overall.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

When you apply it on a heat spreader, like on a CPU, put a line of thermal paste as large as a cooked grain of rice. When you put it on a processor die, like on a GPU, completely cover it.

Applying too much thermal paste won't usually damage anything unless you get it everywhere and it's conductive.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 8:26 PM, Ansuex said:

I really want to answer yes, it really depends on if the thermal paste you are using is conductive or not.

I would really advice you not to use to much thermal compound though.

the rule of thumb: less is more.

There are a bunch of video's showing you different methods for applying thermal compound on either GPU/CPU maybe have a look at those? :)

Thank you. I've watched quite a few videos on that, but one of them, there was a comment saying that if we apply excess thermal paste on the cpu, it will shorten the graphics card and the memory too on top of shortening the cpu, and that got me thinking how it can even get there. Can you explain that to me as well, please?