how to learn?

cakevreter2000

hello people, I'm kind of a noob in programming. I did a bit of HTML and python but that's about it. now I use a mac and I want to learn how to make apps for mac osx and ios. I know I need Xcode for this but I don't know where I can learn this. I used codecadamy for HTML and I really liked that. so if there is something like that for Xcode than that would be great! if you know anything pls reply ??

Lynda.com /s (LTT did not sponsor me to re-advertise)

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

Entry youtube videos will do some good too.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

there's several places online you can use to learn to code, cod academy is quite good as well, doesn't do C far as I remember though

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Why iOS? Learn java and then program for android! The OS is more open, you can do so much more and have more control over your apps than in the iOS.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Best way by far is to find some simple projects to do.

It's much, much easier to learn if you have a clear objective you're trying to fulfill.

Also, something they don't really tell people who are starting out:  learning to code does and learning to program are two different things.  It's like saying "I know how to speak, therefore I know how to give speeches" or "I know how to write, so I know how to write novel".  You have to learn how to use the tool, and then learn how to design around what you can do with the tool.

The point I'm trying to make is that many of the skills you learning when programming (especially when you're just starting out) transfer very easily between different projects, and in many cases, even different programming languages.

Again though, I really recommend having a project in mind..

On 15/02/2018 at 7:49 PM, wasab said:

Why iOS? Learn java and then program for android! The OS is more open, you can do so much more and have more control over your apps than in the iOS.

If you look at both systems ios tend to pay for apps more than android users do.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

If you look at both systems ios tend to pay for apps more than android users do.

And it’s what OP owns. 

But Apple takes bigger share and you pay a considerable annual developer fee and the startup costs is generally high. Of course the potential for return is greater but so is the risk and start up capital.

also, I though the mobile gold rush was over since the 2012s. There are not many new aspirating developers who develop full time to make a profit. Most apps are extensions to existing businesses like apps for insurance companies that help you keep track of bills for example.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

There is only one thing you can do that will Really make you a good programmer; programming. The more you do it, the better you get. Start wiith a small project, perhaps a simple Text Editor, and try to keep the program organized / structured while making new features for the Text Editor (only an example). 

I'll also suggest some actual concepts you should learn very very well as a good base of knowledge:

• Understanding Boolean Logic
  • Loops, conditionals
  • Data Structures (make your own implementation of a Stack, Queue, or LinkedList (with an Array or Linked Nodes)) There are many more data structures.
  • Object Oriented Programming
  • Design Patterns

33 minutes ago, wasab said:

But Apple takes bigger share and you pay a considerable annual developer fee and the startup costs is generally high. Of course the potential for return is greater but so is the risk and start up capital.

also, I though the mobile gold rush was over since the 2012s. There are not many new aspirating developers who develop full time to make a profit. Most apps are extensions to existing businesses like apps for insurance companies that help you keep track of bills for example.

That's true. Though if op wants to get into app development and has a mac then ios is the way to go.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

That's true. Though if op wants to get into app development and has a mac then ios is the way to go.

But android studio works on macs. 

Sudo make me a sandwich