FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is under investigation for seeking to benefit Sinclair and Tribune deal

coasterghost
Message added by WkdPaul

Just a quick reminder for everyone - we don't allow for political discussion on LTT. I understand that this thread (and all threads revolving around Mr. Pai, the FCC and Net Neutrality) inherently has a lot of political interplay; but please, do your best to discuss the thread at hand without discussing political parties, political figures, political ideologies etc. We know from experience that political threads are inherently a no-no, as they invariably descend into personal attacks and insult-flinging.

So stay on topic and try to keep politics out of it, please. :) Any posts that are too politically focused will be removed, and if people can't control themselves the thread will unfortunately need to be locked.

Last April, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai, led the charge for his agency to approve rules allowing television broadcasters to greatly increase the number of stations they own. A few weeks later, Sinclair Broadcasting announced a blockbuster $3.9 billion deal to buy Tribune Media — a deal those new rules made possible.

By the end of the year, in a previously undisclosed move, the top internal watchdog for the F.C.C. opened an investigation into whether Mr. Pai and his aides had improperly pushed for the rule changes and whether they had timed them to benefit Sinclair, according to Representative Frank Pallone of New Jersey and two congressional aides.

A New York Times investigation published in August found that Mr. Pai and his staff members had met and corresponded with Sinclair executives several times. One meeting, with Sinclair’s executive chairman, took place days before Mr. Pai, who was appointed by President Trump, took over as F.C.C. chairman.

Sinclair’s top lobbyist, a former F.C.C. official, also communicated frequently with former agency colleagues and pushed for the relaxation of media ownership rules. And language the lobbyist used about loosening rules has tracked closely to analysis and language used by Mr. Pai in speeches favoring such changes.

Given how outspoken and Blatant that Ajit Pai has been on many topics especially net neutrality it's not shocking at all. Even when accounted for his past as a lawyer for Verizon is just more so telling. It's also rather interesting to myself that however the steps that he's taken to get this merger approved. Not only has Sinclair been told to sell 12 tv stations, but he [Ajit Pai] has gone and rolled back several regulations including certain broadcast television station ownership limitations, reinstating a 1985 discount quota on UHF stations, and by not requiring stations to have a main studio in local coverage area. It will be interesting to find out what the watchdog group finds out. 

Source 1: New York Times (Possible Soft Paywalkhttps://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/technology/fcc-sinclair-ajit-pai.html

Source 1 (Backup; CNBC Posting of the article via the NYT): https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/new-york-times-digital-f-c-c-watchdog-looks-into-changes-that-benefited-sinclair.html?__source=twitter|main

Sources for Background info: 

Source 1: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/12/15/sinclair-tribune-sale-justice-department.html

Source 2: https://variety.com/2017/biz/news/fcc-main-studio-rule-ajit-pai-sinclair-1202597651/

Source 3: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-fcc-local-tv-radio-control-20171024-story.html

Source 4: https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2017/10/24/broadcasters-no-longer-need-a-local-studio-as-fcc-changes-rule

Source 5: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/10/24/the-fcc-just-ended-a-decades-old-rule-designed-to-keep-tv-and-radio-under-local-control/

Source 6: https://variety.com/2017/biz/news/fcc-sinclair-tribune-merger-investigation-1202615791/

Note to Mods: I am trying to keep this apolitical and seek to keep it as such.

I have never seen a Tech News post with so much sources. 

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It's like he's writing his dissertation. 

Also, Welcome back. :D 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

wait till you see the review compilations then

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Thanks

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

12 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

never seen someone care so much about the amount of source

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

1 minute ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

ever heard of wccftech

So he is a money whore, whats new ?

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

The Pajeet strikes again

Now show bobs and vagene

2 hours ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Sources are a sign of intellectual integrity and maturity .

Sharing sources shows that you want people to make their own conclusions. Always a plus in my book. 

3 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

note he isn't the real one.

wow not surprised. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

note he isn't the real one.

wow not surprised. 

Huh? o.O 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

So he is a money whore, whats new ?

You have to call out every bad action so as many people as possible know this fact and why he is. Otherwise it's just empty insults and the more reasonable people won't believe you because you'd be attacking his character with no source instead of his actions and explaining why they are bad.

News posts like these add to the pot of evidence of just how scummy this guy is, and yes, it's necessary for change.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

1 hour ago, Deus Voltage said:

Sources are a sign of intellectual integrity and maturity .

Sharing sources shows that you want people to make their own conclusions. Always a plus in my book. 

Disclaimer: I didn't actually scrutinize the post's sources nor is this a critique on the OP's work. This is just speaking from experience.

One should be weary of news website sources. A lot of times they all report from the same source if you go down the rabbit hole far enough.

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Huh? o.O 

it isn't the real dexterlab.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

18 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

How do you know he's not the real one?  o.O

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It should be under independent control.   We in Australia for the most part enjoy a very independent authority that usually holds the government of the day (regardless of party) accountable.  When that ceases to be the case it is both terrible and obvious.    No one who wants the best for their country should want authorities like the FCC under party control.  

This exactly. Who the hell thought having a duopoly of power would be a great idea? And who thought it'd be a good idea for them to appoint persons to powerful positions? 

It seems like something you'd expect out of an African state with the word "democratic" in the official name. The difference being instead of someone's cousin, it's a corporate lackey or I guess a party puppet.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

It should be under independent control.   We in Australia for the most part enjoy a very independent authority that usually holds the government of the day (regardless of party) accountable.  When that ceases to be the case it is both terrible and obvious.    No one who wants the best for their country should want authorities like the FCC under party control.  

That would ultimately be the best solution.  And preferably with a ban on having worked for a telecom within the past 5 years, or being allowed to work for one for 5 years afterward.  That way you avoid people like Meredith Attwell Baker, who was clearly selling out to Comcast to land a job there when she was done at the FCC.

10 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

will the real dexterlab please stand up?

also, people really should have seen this coming. an evil fcc leader changing regulation so that the evil corporation can make a shit ton of money. weird..

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

merca.....land of the free.

giphy.gif

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

17 hours ago, coasterghost said:

Note to Mods: I am trying to keep this apolitical and seek to keep it as such.

For a second I thought this read: "I am trying to keep this political" :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2/15/2018 at 8:29 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

This is Linus Tech Tips, not Linus Tech Wiki goddammit.

OT, kinda makes sense, with how adamant Ajit had been about revoking NN laws. If those actions were simply because of corruption, then all makes sense.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 15/02/2018 at 7:33 AM, Abdul201588 said:

Needs proper citation formatting for it to be a dissertation :P

On a serious note, this is awesome but the investigation probably won't "find" (aka mention) anything.