PC VRS XBOX-X EYECANDY

Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,
On 15/02/2018 at 5:10 AM, B.Jack said:

I'm a console gamer(XBOX-X) that games on a 55 inch 4k HDR budget TV and this March I will be building(with help) my first PC(GTX 1080TI) with most of the bells and whistles...Yes, I am a bit excited... 
So my question:)
How much of a visual increase or decrease will I have going from that setup to sitting maybe (2 to 3ft?) away from a high end($1000-1500) high 150FPS, 32 to 35" 21:9(wide) screen monitor????
I know the refresh rate will be amazing, but wondering more about the difference in actual eye candy that will or will not be seen in comparison???

In all honesty, unless u NEED the high refresh rate and smaller screen size, if you have a budget like that for a VDU, get a 4k OLED 55".

Now as for you specific example. If the monitor your describing is 4k aswell, then the PPI will increase to make up for the fact ur sitting closer than with ur TV which has a lower PPI.

The main difference in eye candy will come from the specific game and the available settings.

The vast majority of games available on Console and PC are ported from the console, so despite having additional settings available it ill be more limited than a game made for the PC initialy. Still, a maxed out ported game on the PC will still look vastly superior to a console game, expecialy when it comes to the amount of alaising present (jaggies).

The other difference u may notice is input lag.

A "cheapo" TV without 'proper' game mode support to reduce input lag, will have noticable input lag vs a gaming monitor, which will have minimal or no inpuit lag. Generaly speaking a good TV will have around 20ms input lag in game mode, a bad one will have over 50ms. try find a review that tests the input lag for the TV u have/getting.

As for the monitor, if its an IPS panel, you will likely notice what is calleed IPS glow, coming from a tv which is VA, this can be ether very noticable or not noticable at all, dpends on the person. There is also a sort of lottery on how much IPS glow and/or backlight bleed you will get, ou might get one with alot, or very little.

There are a few monitor available that are VA, which i would personaly go for over IPS or TN, to avoid IPS glow, and washed out colors from TN's. VA has better contrast aswell.

I'm a console gamer(XBOX-X) that games on a 55 inch 4k HDR budget TV and this March I will be building(with help) my first PC(GTX 1080TI) with most of the bells and whistles...Yes, I am a bit excited... 
How much of a visual increase or decrease will I have going from that setup to sitting maybe (2 to 3ft?) away from a high end($1000-1500) high 150FPS, 32 to 35" 21:9(wide) screen monitor????
I know the refresh rate will be amazing, but wondering more about the difference in actual eye candy that will or will not be seen in comparison???

Depends on the TV you are currently using and the monitor you will be using in the future. Pixel density and high settings doesn't automatically equal more eye candy, the quality of the display panel makes a big difference.

15 minutes ago, mortino said:

Depends on the TV you are currently using and the monitor you will be using in the future. Pixel density and high settings doesn't automatically equal more eye candy, the quality of the display panel makes a big difference.

It's in description...my TV is budget 4K HDR TCL 55INCH...

Monitor will be high end (ips or VA) $1000-1500 range with minimum 125 hertz.. Because the thing is, I'm kind of tripping about dropping down from 4k(don't want to sacrifice fps) to 1440 and just wanting someone to either comfort me or tell me I'm an idiot for that decision :)

1 minute ago, B.Jack said:

It's in description...my TV is budget 4K HDR TCL 55INCH...

Monitor will be high end (ips or VA) $1000-1500 range with minimum 125 hertz

Which description? Not trying to be difficult but you don't have a signature and all I see in your post is 4k HDR TV which means nothing and you want a high end ultra wide for 1k-1.5k which means you are getting an acer predator. you did say budget 4k TV so if you go with an 1100 dollar acer predator 1440p IPS ultrawide with g-sync your eye candy fidelity will soar even if your wallet sinks, you aren't getting 125hz though but you will get 120hz, you might be able to overclock it to 125hz, not positive if you can even push that much data over dp on that monitor or any monitor for that matter.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's a cheapo 4k tv, I'm picking one up.  They're those Roku TVs, and TCL makes the parts themselves.  So, that's why they're cheap.  It's a 60hz that uses sw to fake 120, LG does this too.  

Ya those cheapo 4k Roku TV's are great for the price for TV even if the smart features are laggy, my high end LG smart tv is a true 120hz display but uses the same trick for 240hz and it's gross. Where are you finding his TV model? I see no signature or anything in his profile?

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because TCL doesn't have a lot of models if you look for them on Amazon.  There is only 1 version that's actually HDR, IIRC aka the 2017 model.  Also, "

The panel is a 60Hz panel, and incorporated advanced backlight scanning to deliver an effective viewing experience of 120Hz, for clear fast action viewing. 
Thanks,
TCL USA Support."

Isn't that HDR not even real HDR10?

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because TCL doesn't have a lot of models if you look for them on Amazon.  There is only 1 version that's actually HDR, IIRC aka the 2017 model.  Also, "

The panel is a 60Hz panel, and incorporated advanced backlight scanning to deliver an effective viewing experience of 120Hz, for clear fast action viewing. 
Thanks,
TCL USA Support."  The cheapo LGs, though are 60 that do 120 with this method.

Hey, thanks for the replies.. I'm def new here.. What's a signiture, where do I go to fix it

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's like the first version of HDR it's not the new dolby one.     NVM, "This series TV support HDR 10. Our 55P607 also supports Dolby Vision, as white color gamut, and has a full array back late with 72 zones of contrast control. Thanks, Tcl Theater. USA support "

Is contrast control the same as backlight control, local dimming? If it is that's pretty good and I'm starting to think that is not the cheap TV's.

And my TV is the the that is 4k hdr with Dolby vision P607 I believe 

1 minute ago, B.Jack said:

And my TV is the the that is 4k hdr with Dolby vision P607 I believe 

I think I mentioned it b4 but TLDR yes with a 1200 dollar ultra wide you will be O faced with eye candy.

Yeah, one of my top options is the one that they showed at CES... The ROG SWIFT PG35Q

IT'S a 35 inch 1440,HDR,G SYNC,  at 200fps

On 15/02/2018 at 5:10 AM, B.Jack said:

In all honesty, unless u NEED the high refresh rate and smaller screen size, if you have a budget like that for a VDU, get a 4k OLED 55".

Now as for you specific example. If the monitor your describing is 4k aswell, then the PPI will increase to make up for the fact ur sitting closer than with ur TV which has a lower PPI.

The main difference in eye candy will come from the specific game and the available settings.

The vast majority of games available on Console and PC are ported from the console, so despite having additional settings available it ill be more limited than a game made for the PC initialy. Still, a maxed out ported game on the PC will still look vastly superior to a console game, expecialy when it comes to the amount of alaising present (jaggies).

A "cheapo" TV without 'proper' game mode support to reduce input lag, will have noticable input lag vs a gaming monitor, which will have minimal or no inpuit lag. Generaly speaking a good TV will have around 20ms input lag in game mode, a bad one will have over 50ms. try find a review that tests the input lag for the TV u have/getting.

As for the monitor, if its an IPS panel, you will likely notice what is calleed IPS glow, coming from a tv which is VA, this can be ether very noticable or not noticable at all, dpends on the person. There is also a sort of lottery on how much IPS glow and/or backlight bleed you will get, ou might get one with alot, or very little.

There are a few monitor available that are VA, which i would personaly go for over IPS or TN, to avoid IPS glow, and washed out colors from TN's. VA has better contrast aswell.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

10 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Wow, thanks for you thoughtful response... Exactly some of the things I was wanting to know :)... Yeah, I was just tripping on going from my 4k hdr TV and stepping down to lower Resolution and sharpness, but I guess your right about ppi.. Although my high end monitor will only be 1440 the ppi will be much bigger than my tcl 4k TV... So resolution night actually look better on my 1440 35 inch monitor than my 55 inch 4k TV??? 

Or maybe at least the same?? 

With a 2 to 3ft viewing distanxe that is?? 

Viewing distance is a ...argued, subject.

Im sure ur googled it, there are many different charts and sites that all have differeing ideas on optimal viewing distance for certain size and resolution screens. Some are hugely different by many feet, others only slightly differ.

IMo this is an ..adequate, graph.. take it with a grain of salt though.

https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

I personaly sit 4-5 feet from my 42" 1080 Plasma screen. Thats due to text size mainly. I find it easy to read and view small details at this distance. However, i can definatly tell that im running with low PPI (~52). So im really looking forward to getting a ~40" 4k OLED when they finaly release (I cant stand LCD technology).

So, for a fair comparison between ur 4k 55", and a 1440p 35" , i'd open up a text document, at normal 100% magnification, with no windows scaling active. Then sit as close as u need to, to read it comfortably. Do that with ur 55" and ur 35".  Then run some games at native resolution for each. That will be a good way for you to see the difference. ofc thats once u have already bought both.

As for PPI, i think u may be surprised to know that a 55" 4k and a 35" 1440p, have roughly the SAME PPI. 80 vs 83 respectivly. (asuming the monitor is 16:9)

If its 21:9 then 3440x1440 would be ~110PPI.

i beleve you will notice a difference, how much though will be subjective.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |