Apple HomePod smart speaker - stains your furniture permanently

GoodBytes
Message added by Energycore

This is the last warning. Keep the thread civil and without accusations, insults or trolling; lest it be locked.

Good thing they dont make rubbers.. "it stained my dick!" Apple - "Oh yeah, thats a feature."

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

To be fair to Apple, when you are making a smart speaker the last thing on your mind is probably whether is stains the table or not

Maybe because the reviewer didn't suspend the speaker, as it seem this is what you need to do to avoid the issue of ruining your furniture, so it sounded different.

8 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not even attacking anything, it's like Apple didn't even test it on more than just a white or glass surface before release.

I mean they should  have know what more about the material they use in their design. They should have known that it reacts with wood unless this is a new material in which case you should probably do more testing with it.

Oh boy! I guess the HomePod is not only the dumbest smart speaker at the moment. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 hours ago, Valentyn said:

So it only happens to oil treated wood, and Danish oil at that. That's not very common at all; and I haven't seen reports of it happening to normal wood surfaces.

Was that confirmed somewhere?  I didn't see that in the OP or the linked story.

The speaker is merely marking it's position on your furniture for you so if it's moved you know exactly where it goes back.

Remember folks, Apple products don't have issues. They have features instead.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

IDEA. The apple table.

The iTable...followed by the iRack.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Was that confirmed somewhere?  I didn't see that in the OP or the linked story.

Yes. The only people reporting anything are those with oil treated wood; like butcher blocks and the like.

Oil and rubber/silicone has always had issues like this

https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/14/apple-confirms-homepod-leaves-white-rings-on-wood-surfaces/

Two publications have found that the HomePod can leave persistent white rings on some wooden furniture, a problem apparently traceable to interactions between the speaker’s silicone base and treated wood.

According to Pocket-Lint, 20 minutes of HomePod use on a “solid oak kitchen worktop treated with Danish oil” was enough to cause a white ring-shaped discoloration

The New York Times‘ Wirecuttersimilarly reported a “defined white ring in the surface” of an oiled butcher-block countertop and a wooden side table, pointing to a Twitter post suggesting similar problems.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Yes. The only people reporting anything are those with oil treated wood; like butcher blocks and the like.

Oil and rubber/silicone has always had issues like this

https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/14/apple-confirms-homepod-leaves-white-rings-on-wood-surfaces/

Apple's latest response is also saying it's not unusual with "vibration dampening silicon," but how come it's not an issue with other speakers like the Google Home Max (or is it)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

30 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Apple's latest response is also saying it's not unusual with "vibration dampening silicon," but how come it's not an issue with other speakers like the Google Home Max (or is it)?

Depends on if they're on danish oil treated wood..
The more popular a product and company the larger the likely hood of reports like this.

With any smart speaker, including the Homepod I've not had friends or family complain about anything. Then again the wood surfaces aren't treated with that kind of oil; majority of wood is lacquered. 

I know with my grandparents, all their major wood furniture is oil treated. So many things leave marks; hence doilies and things used on them. They also require constant treatment to keep the finish and remove marks like the ones seen in photos.

Rubber/silcone will absorb the oils; hence the lighter marks being left.

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Depends on if they're on danish oil treated wood..
The more popular a product and company the larger the likely hood of reports like this.

With any smart speaker, including the Homepod I've not had friends or family complain about anything. Then again the wood surfaces aren't treated with that kind of oil; majority of wood is lacquered. 

I know with my grandparents, all their major wood furniture is oil treated. So many things leave marks; hence doilies and things used on them. They also require constant treatment to keep the finish and remove marks like the ones seen in photos.

Rubber/silcone will absorb the oils; hence the lighter marks being left.

Sonos One also makes marks. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sonos-one-damages-wood,news-26628.html

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

31 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Was just a matter of time until people started checking the rest.
As I mentioned it's what happens with rubber/silicone and oil treated wood. 

Also it doesn't damage the wood. I don't know why they keep saying that. You need to retreat the wood with the oil. You've always needed to treat oiled wood. It needs constant maintenance. 

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Also it doesn't damage the wood. I don't know why they keep saying that.

Anything to shit on Apple.

It's the same reason why several people started freaking out before any real information was available. It is however odd that no one noticed the issue affects other speakers although i guess it makes sense seeing as apple always gets extra attention.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

It is however odd that no one noticed the issue affects other speakers although i guess it makes sense seeing as apple always gets extra attention.

I thinks its about how fast and how bad the marks appear with the homepod compared to other devices. The homepod's marks are pretty bad for only a day or two on the surface. The few sonos claims, the marks are barely visible and have been there for possibly months at this point. 

Radiation King

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

17 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I thinks its about how fast and how bad the marks appear with the homepod compared to other devices. The homepod's marks are pretty bad for only a day or two on the surface. The few sonos claims, the marks are barely visible and have been there for possibly months at this point. 

The Homepod has a large silicone base( and weighs more than the Sonos ); the Sonos in that picture doesn't.

All rubber/silicone will absorb the oils from wood. The more of it there is, the quicker it'll happen.

The Sonos user from Tom's Guide also has the Sonos moved several times; and each time has left a mark.

A closer inspection revealed that the Sonos One speaker, which also has small silicone feet, had made these marks on my cabinet. Looking around the top of the cabinet, I noticed a bunch of little white marks, all left from the Sonos Ones as I moved them around. We're awaiting comment from Sonos.

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Anything to shit on Apple.

It's the same reason why several people started freaking out before any real information was available. It is however odd that no one noticed the issue affects other speakers although i guess it makes sense seeing as apple always gets extra attention. 

Large company that attracts a lot of press attention; everything and anything can make the news if it's around social media.

There are erasers that say “do not leave in contact with plastic for long periods of time” because the material the eraser is made of eats plastic......where is the media outrage about that? 

Put a coaster on it if you have a wooden table and care about it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 2/14/2018 at 11:12 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

A mono only speaker that only works with Apple Music and iPhones with no other external connectivity.

It’s stereo btw, works with any audio via Airplay, and you don’t need external connectivity. Everything is wireless. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s stereo btw, works with any audio via Airplay, and you don’t need external connectivity. Everything is wireless. 

Right forgot you can still have stereo with one satellite... keep forgetting about that. I usually compare mono speakers to my sibling's crappy Acer laptop that came with one speaker only. Dammit cost cutting Acer.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I get that this mostly started as trolling, but I am having trouble accepting people think it is o.k for an appliance to stain whatever it sits on.   It would need a warning for that to be O.K.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There are erasers that say “do not leave in contact with plastic for long periods of time” because the material the eraser is made of eats plastic......where is the media outrage about that? 

Put a coaster on it if you have a wooden table and care about it. 

Except it's a $350 speaker,that you shouldn't have to put anything under. Putting anything under it could make the speaker sound worse since the speaker fires downward. For the cost it should just work,Apple needs to test their stuff more.

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Oh come on,tons of people criticize the homepod for this. "AirPlay" is Bluetooth,in that mode you can only change songs like most more reasonably priced bluetooth speakers that actually sound like a stereo speaker,and won't leave a ring on your freaking table.