Why does the st Louis craigslist computer section suck so bad?

hardtofindinthefuture

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/sya

I swear the craigslist in st Louis sucks soo bad..i wonder if its because of the people who live in this state, because i see overpriced old dell optiplexes as far as the eye can see and a whole bunch of clickbait from computer shops

When you look at the SF bay craigslist its soooo much better

Anyone else care to explain and or add anything

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

well, reasonable deals are usually snatch up within minutes of their posting i guess so all the ones left are unreasonably price. it is the same thing on ebay with many selling used parts for as much if not more than brand new.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

It's probably just the area, people like to sell things for what they can get, not what they're worth. Also some of these listings crack me up:

Hyperthreading to 8 independent core threads

Taken from this Mac Pro listing: https://stlouis.craigslist.org/sys/d/mac-pro-32ghz-all-apple/6496183182.html

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

ive seen like over 50 dell optiplexes that are "BLAZING FAST" and "BEST DEAL" on this site...but where do these shops/individuals get all of these dells from???

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

I don't even look at the STL craigslist anymore. Any good deals are snatched within a day and people proceed to let garbage sit in the category for months. Honestly though, depending on what you're looking for, I'd rather just go to the EPC in Cave Springs.

Unlucky you, though, because I was actually about to post a 5930k, X99 Extreme4, and 240mm water cooler for $250, but my bud offered me $200 and I gave it to them.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

EPC in Cave Springs.

i called that place a year ago and they were trying to sell C2D machines for $100, but have you been there?

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

2 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

i called that place a year ago and they were trying to sell C2D machines for $100, but have you been there?

No, unfortunately. My security teacher talked about them and how they have this hard drive shredder on a truck, saying how really cool it was, so I checked their website and saw they had some decent deals. No Optiplexs for $20 but I'd say a full i7-3770, 8GB system for $250 is a reasonable price. Some decent laptops, too.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

21 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/sya

I swear the craigslist in st Louis sucks soo bad..i wonder if its because of the people who live in this state, because i see overpriced old dell optiplexes as far as the eye can see and a whole bunch of clickbait from computer shops

When you look at the SF bay craigslist its soooo much better

Anyone else care to explain and or add anything

I mean, if we're being fair here, you're comparing a city that IIRC isn't really known for being a huge tech city to probably one of the bigger tech markets in NA, the Silicon Valley. I would think it's pretty easy to see why they would have a better used market.  

You have to keep in mind, the market is only going to be as good as what people have and want to offer. If there are less people in St. Louis that build their own PCs, buy/sell parts and generally use that particular marketplace than something like the SF Bay, then it's not really a surprise that there would be a discrepancy when comparing them. As for things being overpriced, I say that probably says more about your market. If people are willing to overpay for old Dell systems, then I can't really fault the sellers for selling them at a higher price. That's just how the market is ebbing and flowing in their area. Also like mentioned in this thread, good deals do get snatched up quick as well. 

I mean, listings aren't really great in my area either, and they get considerably better in cities a few hours away from me, but that's par for the course considering the area I live in is mostly a government town and not some huge, booming tech hub. 

1 minute ago, Suika said:

No, unfortunately. My security teacher talked about them and how they have this hard drive shredder on a truck, saying how really cool it was, so I checked their website and saw they had some decent deals. No Optiplexs for $20 but I'd say a full i7-3770, 8GB system for $250 is a reasonable price. Some decent laptops, too.

yea the St Charles area really doesn't have ways of getting really cheap hardware other than ebay, i keep hearing online about recycling centers, and there arent any in the STL area that really allow to get components.

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC