Nvidia next chip now called Turing? [UPDATE]

cluelessgenius

so for sure i thought by now somebody wouldve posted this anyway:

"reuters" mentioned in their article that nvidia will be unveiling a new chip next month called "Turing" and german site "heise" concluded that might be the actual name for the gaming centered card and ampere might be used for something else.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nvidia-results-research/frenzied-demand-for-nvidias-graphic-chips-shoot-prices-through-the-roof-idUSKBN1FT2AW

The new GPU gaming chip, code named Turing, is expected to be unveiled next month. Even without it, Nvidia’s revenue from gaming rose 29 percent to $1.74 billion in the fourth quarter, accounting for more than half of its total revenue.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Bericht-Naechster-Nvidia-Grafikchip-heisst-Turing-und-soll-noch-im-Maerz-erscheinen-3969359.html

The news agency Reuters mentioned in a report the code name of a forthcoming, previously unknown Nvidia graphics chips, which are aimed at the gaming sector and should therefore be used on GeForce cards. This GPU is codenamed "Turing". According to Reuters Nvidia wants to introduce this chip in March. In mid-March, Nvidia holds its annual in-house GPU Technology Conference, which, however, deals exclusively with professional topics such as deep learning, 3D visualization and design as well as GPGPU science. Also in March, however, also takes place the game developer conference Game Developers Conference in San Francisco - in the context of this event would be the announcement of a new gamer chips quite well.

So far, only the future generation of Amp Ampere was known, which apparently follows the Volta generation introduced in March 2017 and is aimed at professional users. Volta GPUs can be found so far only on professional graphics cards of the series Tesla V100 and as 3100 Euro expensive semi-professional computing card Nvidia Titan V. A player graphics card with Volta GPU Nvidia has not yet published. Previous gamer GPUs are part of the Pascal generation. With the GeForce GTX 1080 Nvidia brought the first Pascal graphics card in May 2016 on the market.

these are google translations of the german site

personally this confusing as hell to me what do you think?

[UPDATE]

so apparently other voices are also starting to say Turing might be for mining:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3026759/nvidia-could-be-planning-crypto-mining-chips-to-ease-the-strain-on-gamers

NVIDIA IS rumoured to be releasing a new version of its GPUs specifically designed for mining cryptocurrency.

The firm has complained publicly that it isn't able to serve its core customers in the gaming markets because so many people are buying GPUs for mining Bitcoin et al.

If you can't beat them, join them, and if rumours are true, we could see a new range code-named Turing, released specifically for the task.

More than likely, Turing will be introduced to meet the demand for crypto', whilst Ampere will try and redress the record lows in gaming card sales, as the company tries to keep up with demand.

Ampere is expected to be the successor line to the current GeForce range, though they may well adopt the GeForce branding before hitting the market.

To confuse matters further, all Nvidia GPUs are based on a Volta architecture, and there's a third range known as Tesla, designed for data centres, enabling AI and VR type features.

At the moment nothing is carved in stone, and we won't know for certain until Nvidia's annual GPU Technology Conference (GTC) at the end of March.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

5 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

So what part is confusing?

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just now, jasonvp said:

So what part is confusing?

well pascal was for every target group right. as i understand it now theyre starting to split up architecture codename for all sectors. also i dont remember how we learned about it being called ampere but since ampere as i remember wasnt even on the roadmap thats weird by itself. now its apparently called turing and when 6th of march actually comes its probably gonna be something else again

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

well pascal was for every target group right. as i understand it now theyre starting to split up architecture codename for all sectors.

It's a bit odd that they came up with Volta and then appear to be cycling away from it for the gamers.  That's unlike them, but not really confusing per se.  If it's true (remember: this is all speculation), it just means NVidia doesn't think the Volta platform is worth down-sizing for consumers and gamers.

also i dont remember how we learned about it being called ampere

NVidia never, ever once mentioned Ampere in any of their presentations, releases, or any such thing.  It's been purely speculation for months.  Nothing more.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what it's called.  It matters what it can do :-)

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Wonder if it was changed due to a similar sounding ARM architecture or if it's like a folk? Ampere and Turing being too different variations of the architecture?

Turing might be for workstations and Ampere is for gaming? Turing for workstations would make sense with that name. Ampere could be very similar but maybe using GDDR6 instead of HBM 2 which I imagine the workstation cards would be using.

Either way, it's pretty damn close now to the announcement date. Also note that I'm theorising. Nvidia could just be dead set with Turing.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

29 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

For anyone who doesn't know, this new chip is named after Alan Turing, renowned computer scientist, who developed a machine to break the German Enigma Code in WWII. He was portrayed by Beneficial Cucumber in the movie "The Imitation Game." 

Aka the best cryptographer of that time... that should deter cryptominers from buying those...

If true and this is gaming oriented why call it Turing? It makes it sound as if it leans more towards AI

Good news, seems like they are Turing over a new leaf.

2 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

He was portrayed by Beneficial Cucumber 

Dont worry, I caught it

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

But I want to know what Nvidia are saying about it.

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

For anyone who doesn't know, this new chip is named after Alan Turing, renowned computer scientist, who developed a machine to break the German Enigma Code in WWII. He was portrayed by Beneficial Cucumber in the movie "The Imitation Game." 

He was also believed to be Autistic and was gay and  such was ostracized his whole life.  Apparently being a genius with codes and language made him a slave to his own existence.  Not that I want to be negative or anything but this emphasizes just how decent and glorious this mans efforts were to be successful with all that constantly being held over him.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It being called "Turing" implies tensor cores.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

turing a new a new le-- fuck some one already said that

4 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

Nvidia’s revenue from gaming rose 29 percent to $1.74 billion in the fourth quarter

HAHAHA recenue from gamers in Q4. gamers couldn't even get the cards in Q4 (laugh, laugh, laugh, sob, hard wailing, tears roll down cheeks, has flash back to 1500$ 1080tis )

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

35 minutes ago, mr moose said:

He was also believed to be Autistic and was gay and  such was ostracized his whole life.  Apparently being a genius with codes and language made him a slave to his own existence.  Not that I want to be negative or anything but this emphasizes just how decent and glorious this mans efforts were to be successful with all that constantly being held over him.

And that's why I'm glad the movie was made of his life, struggles and achievements, and would totally be happy if Nvidia sticks with his name. 

5 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

so for sure i thought by now somebody wouldve posted this anyway:

"reuters" mentioned in their article that nvidia will be unveiling a new chip next month called "Turing" and german site "heise" concluded that might be the actual name for the gaming centered card and ampere might be used for something else.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nvidia-results-research/frenzied-demand-for-nvidias-graphic-chips-shoot-prices-through-the-roof-idUSKBN1FT2AW

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Bericht-Naechster-Nvidia-Grafikchip-heisst-Turing-und-soll-noch-im-Maerz-erscheinen-3969359.html

these are google translations of the german site

I remember gamers nexus saying that it wouldn't be called ampre

Ampere showed up as a codename some in the industry were using, and even GN recently pointed out that likely isn't the name of the next consumer product. Volta is the Tensor Core-based designs.

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

And that's why I'm glad the movie was made of his life, struggles and achievements, and would totally be happy if Nvidia sticks with his name. 

I haven't seen it yet, is it good?

2 hours ago, Epic Wink said:

Turing's not a physicist, FYI

He still deserves the recognition.  Especially given his field of expertise and the relevance to GPU's

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

turing a new a new le-- fuck some one already said that

HAHAHA recenue from gamers in Q4. gamers couldn't even get the cards in Q4 (laugh, laugh, laugh, sob, hard wailing, tears roll down cheeks, has flash back to 1500$ 1080tis )

Pulling a trick from Apple's book - its not hard to make a profit if prices are highly inflated. I wonder if the % increase is around the same as the % of price increase.

Sooo it will be castrated and kill itself after a while?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

I haven't seen it yet, is it good?

He still deserves the recognition.  Especially given his field of expertise and the relevance to GPU's

I highly recommend it if you are into historical and informational films (not as boring as I make it sound). Not sure if it matters to you, but it was nominated for multiple Academy Awards.

3 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I highly recommend it if you are into historical and informational films (not as boring as I make it sound). Not sure if it matters to you, but it was nominated for multiple Academy Awards.

I totally agree that was an amazing movie. I absolutely loved it.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!