8600k cooling

JabroniBaloney

Would a Cryorig H7 work well enough to achieve ~5.0GHz or would a Noctua d14 be a better cooling solution?

Cryorig H7 is fine. D14 is usually overpriced for its performance.

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

I would prefer a beffy Noctua if you are planning on pushing it hard, but keep in mind that this usually depends on the silicone of the chip itself which is a lottery.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

13 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Cryorig H7 is fine. D14 is usually overpriced for its performance.

Good to know. Thanks. 

The NH-D14 cools better but the H7 can be enough if your chip oc's well. 

Why are you looking at these coolers in particular?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D14 cools better but the H7 can be enough if your chip oc's well. 

Why are you looking at these coolers in particular?

Noctua has a great reputation, Cryorig has solid prices. But after some more research, a Scythe mugen is looking pretty great.

4 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Noctua has a great reputation, Cryorig has solid prices. But after some more research, a Scythe mugen is looking pretty great.

Why not the NH-D15, or NH-D15S? The price difference between the D14 and those is marginal.

Like said, H7 will work. However, no one can promise that you will hit that clock speed. All we can tell how much headroom you get from a cooler compared to another.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Why not the NH-D15, or NH-D15S? The price difference between the D14 and those is marginal.

Because a $15 savings can be applied elsewhere in the entire upgrade or budget in general. 

Scythe coolers appear to be within 2-3 degrees of Noctua for about half the price.

19 minutes ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Scythe coolers appear to be within 2-3 degrees of Noctua for about half the price.

Where are you shopping/located? What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If your case can fit it, I would get the Thermalright Macho Rev.B. It performs within 1c of the Noctua NH-D15, is silent, and easy to install. All while being around 50$

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping/located? What case and ram are you using?

US and Amazon for the cooler. MicroCenter isn't good for those.

G.Skill Aegis

7 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

US and Amazon for the cooler. MicroCenter isn't good for those.

G.Skill Aegis

What case are you using?

18 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Because a $15 savings can be applied elsewhere in the entire upgrade or budget in general. 

I can guarantee that if you really, really want to push your cpu super-hard, the Noctua NH-D15 has the advantage over the others. There is a difference when the frequency gets silly, the noctua keeps up with the water coolers, even the other extreme air coolers can't match the Noctua at silly speeds. At really high speeds, they are all pretty much the same. But as the frequency goes up, and up, and up, the noctua starts to pull away.

I have an fx 9590, and I've been able to push into territory that the others can't quite get to. Those scythe, the cryorig r1 and so on....they can do the 4.7/5ghz, but the Noctua can do 5.1, possibly 5.2 if you're lucky. It just has that slight edge. I would consider it for the extra money if you really really want to push your cpu. The price is worth it if you want to, as I said, push it one bit further.

2 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Probably a Corsair 270r

Huh, Scythe coolers have definitely been very competitively priced recently. 

Depending on how much you prefer to spend, good options include:

Kotetsu: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

Ninja 4: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RZfmP6/scythe-cpu-cooler-scnj4000

Mugen 5 Rev. B: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

The Ninja 4 is a great value for the performance provided but the Mugen 5's offset design to clear the dimm slots and more compact form factor is much more comfortable to work with.

19 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

I can guarantee that if you really, really want to push your cpu super-hard, the Noctua NH-D15 has the advantage over the others. There is a difference when the frequency gets silly, the noctua keeps up with the water coolers, even the other extreme air coolers can't match the Noctua at silly speeds. At really high speeds, they are all pretty much the same. But as the frequency goes up, and up, and up, the noctua starts to pull away.

I have an fx 9590, and I've been able to push into territory that the others can't quite get to. Those scythe, the cryorig r1 and so on....they can do the 4.7/5ghz, but the Noctua can do 5.1, possibly 5.2 if you're lucky. It just has that slight edge. I would consider it for the extra money if you really really want to push your cpu. The price is worth it if you want to, as I said, push it one bit further.

The 8600k will probably be limited by voltage more so than temps and not gain nearly as much headroom as the 9590 with the NH-D15 over other coolers mentioned. Considering the respective price points at $90 for the NH-D15 vs $40-50 for a Ninja 4 / Mugen 5, it's a bit hard to justify going for. The primary reasons to go with the NH-D15 instead of similar but cheaper alternatives would be the longer lasting fans, easy-breezy mounting hardware, excellent customer support, and essentially guaranteed support for future sockets. 

If those features matter, I'd recommend going with the slimmer NH-U14S instead: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DMjG3C/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

It performs well albeit a bit worse than the Ninja 4 / Mugen 5 but should be enough headroom for oc'ing the 8600k. I was going to replace my NH-D15 with one for my 6850k but ended up moving back to a White S340 for aesthetics and ended up using a NH-U12S with an additional NF-S12A in pull. The NH-U14S is still sitting on the shelf waiting for a new case.