Monitor question

Deus326

The answer, as with most display-related questions is, it depends.

What kind of games are you going to be playing? Some genres, like racing, lend themselves very well to the 21:9 ratio. Others offer little perceivable benefit in a non-16:9 format.

What aspect ratio are the movies/shows you're going to be watching published in? Alot of content IS in 16:9 and so if you buy a 21:9 screen, you'll be buying electrified pillarboxes.

In the end, your final choice will come down to budget and the features of the individual units that you're willing to consider.

With 21:9 you get a wider field of view which is better for gaming I suppose as you'll really be able to use your peripheral vision in games like shooters. For fighting games, platformers, and MMORPGs... I don't see it being much of a difference, same for movies. For productivity though, 21:9 is great because again, more screen real-estate to use. ,

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

52 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

With 21:9 you get a wider field of view which is better for gaming I suppose as you'll really be able to use your peripheral vision in games like shooters. For fighting games, platformers, and MMORPGs... I don't see it being much of a difference, same for movies. For productivity though, 21:9 is great because again, more screen real-estate to use. ,

52 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

The answer, as with most display-related questions is, it depends.

What kind of games are you going to be playing? Some genres, like racing, lend themselves very well to the 21:9 ratio. Others offer little perceivable benefit in a non-16:9 format.

What aspect ratio are the movies/shows you're going to be watching published in? Alot of content IS in 16:9 and so if you buy a 21:9 screen, you'll be buying electrified pillarboxes.

In the end, your final choice will come down to budget and the features of the individual units that you're willing to consider.

Ok i get it guys. we solved that, now the question is do i stick with my benq monitor or switch it for ASUS one, https://uk.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/322224-358959

for me i think 21:9 is a niche product lineup in my opinion. it does command a more premium pricetag over the standard 16:9 monitors with relatively similar specs.

would it improve your gaming? i probably can't answer that as I myself cant justify the premium of 21:9 vs 16:9 as of now [i'm talking about a 500-600aud difference from asus pg279q to say a pg348q/x34 predator]

but some will swear by it and their opinion would then be more valuable as they've experienced it more often than i did, mine is infrequent usage at friends house when playing game.

Youtube movies, not so, you'll have black borders on left and right since most video content made for 16:9 only ratio. unless u can find cinematic ratio on some then maybe :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers