Google Removes Ability To View Images, Now Requires You To Save Them To Your Account.

wyattzx

googleimagescopyrighttweakfeat-800x420.j

Edit 2: It looks like this has been confirmed, if PetaPixel is to be trusted. It appears to be in conjunction with a partnership between Google and Getty Images.

Google Images is an epicenter of copyright infringements across the Web, as people, either knowingly or unwittingly, search for, download, and misuse copyrighted photos without permission. But for photographers, there’s some good news: Google is going to roll out changes to the image search engine that are designed to help protect your copyright.

The changes were reportedly decided on through a partnership between Google and the stock photo agency Getty Images, which has been lodging “anti-competitive” complaints against Google in the US and EU for making high-resolution stock photos easily downloadable through Google Images.

Credits to @VegetableStu for the link.

Original Post:

I wanted to post this in Tech News, but as of now I cannot find any online source.

As of today, you can no longer view image sources through Google Images. Before, when viewing an image, you could click "View Image" and be taken to the page where the image is, typically resulting in a URL ending in a .jpg or .png file extension. This is no longer possible, as the only options are now to visit the website hosting the image, or to save it directly to your Google Account, which has proven difficult for copyrighted material.

Additionally, right-clicking and opening the image in a new tab will ONLY open the thumbnail; you can no longer open HD images through Google directly. You are required to go to the page host.

All images also now have a "Image may contain copyright" tag underneath them, next to where image resolution is now displayed. This appears on all content.

This appears to be true on multiple browsers, both with and without Google accounts logged in.

Edit: Upon further investigation, this does not seem to affect everybody. I've been receiving conflicting reports, where some users are missing the option, and others have it just fine. This has held true across both Chrome and Firefox Quantum. It appears this has to do with Google's Save feature.

Pro tip: you can right click on the image and click "view image" in the dropdown menu to view it normally.

A lot more hassle, but it does work. I just now googled "dogs", picked a random image, did that, and got this as a result: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SfLV8hD7zX4/maxresdefault.jpg

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Spaceman3600 said:

i didn't have the same issue

Upon asking around, I'm getting conflicting results. Some users are reporting the button is fine, others are reporting it's missing. All of my personal testing has shown it to be the latter. I wonder if it's only slowly being rolled out?

Do you mean this option was removed?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.095138095d98fe738889231722d424ba.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4de6737b12557d4a50cc61589a68851f.png

Edit: I thought that the cursor would show up, what I was hovering over was the "View Image" button

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

I wanted to post this in Tech News, but as of now I cannot find any online source.

As of today, you can no longer view image sources through Google Images. Before, when viewing an image, you could click "View Image" and be taken to the page where the image is, typically resulting in a URL ending in a .jpg or .png file extension. This is no longer possible, as the only options are now to visit the website hosting the image, or to save it directly to your Google Account, which has proven difficult for copyrighted material.

Additionally, right-clicking and opening the image in a new tab will ONLY open the thumbnail; you can no longer open HD images through Google directly. You are required to go to the page host.

All images also now have a "Image may contain copyright" tag underneath them, next to where image resolution is now displayed. This appears on all content.

This appears to be true on multiple browsers, both with and without Google accounts logged in.

Edit: Upon further investigation, this does not seem to affect everybody. I've been receiving conflicting reports, where some users are missing the option, and others have it just fine. This has held true across both Chrome and Firefox Quantum. It appears this has to do with Google's Saves feature.

Like many features, it's probably going to be slowly rolled out to every one. I for one has already seen this change and have found it quite annoying. Not exactly sure of the rational behind this move other than to d**k us around. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Maybe it's a location thing?

I'm in Canada, and it still works like it used to.

Spoiler

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I can still view HD images in other tabs so I havent got it yet, but that might be because Im in Ontario.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

seems i here in Sweden can still do it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A quick check on google.nl shows it working normally. I'm in the UK but geolocation is intentionally broken on the connection I'm currently using.

I'd speculate it may be limited to certain image sources, such as Getty Images, or there is a regional aspect.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

50 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup I noticed... I also noticed that Google remove search results it doesn't like.

Bing is getting more and more interesting.

I might finally check out this duck duck go...

Even Google search has been frustrating lately giving me results that have nothing to do with what I want and completely removing relevant words. 

Sure advance search is there but that's inconvenient when I need to do it for every search. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

56 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup I noticed... I also noticed that Google remove search results it doesn't like.

I personally think Bing images is a lot more useful than Google Images. Whereas Google finds billions of images per search, 99.9% if them are irrelevant, but Bing finds less but more relevant images. And I also find the UI easier

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Lol this is hilarious. I still remember one of these photo bank companies filed a takedown claim against the true owner of one of their photos and got countersued for 1 million.

This is a total farce in and out

Strange I literally dealt with this ten minutes ago and now I can 'view image' again as before.

52 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I use both regularly together and it isn't like its terrible or anything of the sort. While Google may have better suggestions for general stuff, I've found Bing does a far better job of finding specific/niche results than Google does (Considering it drops search terms to find "relevant" results, even if it means ignoring a whole error code)

25 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I personally think Bing images is a lot more useful than Google Images. Whereas Google finds billions of images per search, 99.9% of them are irrelevant, but Bing finds less but more relevant images. And I also find the UI easier

This ^

I just noticed I cant do that either

image.png.1404ab667f29ec091e678cba78bec2e8.png

But to me it doesn't matter. All I use it for is to right click and copy image. That always copies the native resolution anyways, so thats all I care about

Spoiler

Image result for 460x

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is it from the result image now? like if you right click the "preview" box on the left half

Yes I right click the preview window and hit "copy image". The image copied is at the resolution listed under it even if the resolution shown is smaller, in this case, 1411 x 1800. It even retains PNG transparency, as shown in my previous spoiler (tall image, didnt want to take up page real estate)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

"to help protek imagz copyfailright"....?

Euhm, if there is a pic I cannot save, printscreen it is. They are like those movieindustries to stop illegal downloading at any cost, even it means to take lifeforms.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Sorry but to missappropiate a copyrighted picture requires more than a Google image search: anybody that's building a professional website, doing video production, game production, etc. That intends to profit from those endeavors knows full well that they need to know where the images come from.

And anybody who doesn't really profits from the used images should be covered under fair use.

So who is Google punishing here? I'm willing to bet 99.99% of people using google image just grab something for personal, fair-use-covered use. It seems like a pedantic way of just forcing you to use the snap tool or other types of screen grabs and negate the high resolution versions to you.

Seems like a colossal waste of fucking time to me that as it's almost always the case with DRM, will do nothing to stop infractions and it's just there to negate fair use and mostly harmless kids trying to do bad memes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I just viewed this image just fine via Google Images.

Derp1.jpg

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

have you guys tried a stock image result? o_o

image.thumb.png.3cbaf59e2424da3cb9c22520a0852f5d.png

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Well I use bing which is the better image search engine anyway so......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)