Need a Monitor recommendation

Go to solution Solved by Shiruxriu,

Alright so it's looking like the Asus PG279Q is a solid recommendation and looking to be my weapon of choice unless someone can suggest a similarly spec'ed or otherwise a 1080p version with much of the same technology.

Don't get me wrong this isn't the final monitor I want but it is the current best option someone has given me, and in my own research. And in truth I am somewhat disappointed by display technology. But for a daily driver monitor for what I do, I am sure it'll serve me well.

I'm gonna keep my options open until thursday midnight PST after which I intend to commit to a single monitor.

Put plain and simple, I am shopping for a new monitor because my current one an 11 year old ViewSonic TV that can clock in about 75hz, can't really play many if any of the games I currently wish to and used to enjoy. Now I know asking for monitor suggestions can be a flood gate so let me give some context. First my rig is below;

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F87qq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F87qq4/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  (Purchased For $171.75) 
Motherboard: Asus - SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $240.94) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (Purchased For $72.99) 
Storage: PNY - CS2030 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $203.99) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $264.99) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $109.99) 
Other: Silverstone Dual Monitor Mount ($210.40)
Total: $1445.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-13 22:12 EST-0500

Now I'm not hoping for anything insane in terms of monitors but two things I will not back down on are 1080p and 144hz gaming. I don't have any real graphical fidelity preferences besides the fact that I'd like it's color accuracy to be in line with at least a VA Panel if possible. Refresh rate is above picture quality so I don't mind turning down the quality settings of games if I have to but my Rig will not be like this forever and I cannot keep using my current monitor. As stated once again, MY CURRENT RIG WILL NOT BE THE END RIG RUNNING THE MONITOR, but I can't rationalize buying a new PC when my current monitor can't even play games like League of Legends without crashing directx11. If I did it would be a waste of hardware.

So with all of that, what monitor can people recommend I buy?

My budget is $700 and G-Sync is welcome and preferable. I look forward to suggestions but need to finalize by Thursday at midnight.

For 700, you can get an Asus PG278Q. 2560x1440, 144Hz, G-Sync panel. It is also a bit outdated, but cheaper than its replacement PG279Q. It's a pretty good monitor, I was planning on getting one once I had the budget(and before the PG279Q came out).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Shiruxriu said:

Put plain and simple, I am shopping for a new monitor because my current one an 11 year old ViewSonic TV that can clock in about 75hz, can't really play many if any of the games I currently wish to and used to enjoy. Now I know asking for monitor suggestions can be a flood gate so let me give some context. First my rig is below;

Hide contents

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F87qq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F87qq4/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  (Purchased For $171.75) 
Motherboard: Asus - SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $240.94) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (Purchased For $72.99) 
Storage: PNY - CS2030 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $203.99) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $264.99) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $109.99) 
Other: Silverstone Dual Monitor Mount ($210.40)
Total: $1445.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-13 22:12 EST-0500

Now I'm not hoping for anything insane in terms of monitors but two things I will not back down on are 1080p and 144hz gaming. I don't have any real graphical fidelity preferences besides the fact that I'd like it's color accuracy to be in line with at least a VA Panel if possible. Refresh rate is above picture quality so I don't mind turning down the quality settings of games if I have to but my Rig will not be like this forever and I cannot keep using my current monitor. As stated once again, MY CURRENT RIG WILL NOT BE THE END RIG RUNNING THE MONITOR, but I can't rationalize buying a new PC when my current monitor can't even play games like League of Legends without crashing directx11. If I did it would be a waste of hardware.

So with all of that, what monitor can people recommend I buy?

My budget is $700 and G-Sync is welcome and preferable. I look forward to suggestions but need to finalize by Thursday at midnight.

You should get a new CPU/ MoBo/ RAM with that kind of cash. For a cheap 1440p monitor I reccommend the Acer G247HYU.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

For 700, you can get an Asus PG278Q. 2560x1440, 144Hz, G-Sync panel. It is also a bit outdated, but cheaper than its replacement PG279Q. It's a pretty good monitor, I was planning on getting one once I had the budget(and before the PG279Q came out).

How would both the PG278Q and it's newer younger brother the PG279Q fair with a 1060 6GB? That'll be the GPU driving them and their G-Sync functionality.

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

You should get a new CPU/ MoBo/ RAM with that kind of cash. For a cheap 1440p monitor I reccommend the Acer G247HYU.

I already mentioned that a new rig would be a waste for the money in my current monitor situation. Also how is the quality on the Acer monitor you mentioned above, do you have personal experience using it?

2 minutes ago, Shiruxriu said:

How would both the PG278Q and it's newer younger brother the PG279Q fair with a 1060 6GB? That'll be the GPU driving them and their G-Sync functionality.

It might struggle a bit with the 1440p resolution, but if you turn settings down it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Linus said in his late 2017 GPU roundup that the 1060 6Gb can dip into 1440p at lower settings. Although you could run it at 1080p

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It might struggle a bit with the 1440p resolution, but if you turn settings down it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Linus said in his late 2017 GPU roundup that the 1060 6Gb can dip into 1440p at lower settings. Although you could run it at 1080p

To be fair in terms of future graphical quality is going with a 2560x1440 monitor better than trying to stick with a 1080p monitor to this day? Despite all the research I try to do I'm a little bit out of the loop in terms of technology, especially in the realm of display technology.

1 minute ago, Shiruxriu said:

To be fair in terms of future graphical quality is going with a 2560x1440 monitor better than trying to stick with a 1080p monitor to this day? Despite all the research I try to do I'm a little bit out of the loop in terms of technology, especially in the realm of display technology.

1080p is still the gaming standard(for some reason, it's been that way for a few years). In terms of overall quality, a lot of the people I've talked to can never go back to 1080p after playing at 1440p, the quality goes up that much. I would recommend getting a 1440p monitor if it'll fit in your budget and running it at 1080p(going to lose some quality doing that) until you have hardware that can take better advantage of the 1440p resolution.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

1080p is still the gaming standard(for some reason, it's been that way for a few years). In terms of overall quality, a lot of the people I've talked to can never go back to 1080p after playing at 1440p, the quality goes up that much. I would recommend getting a 1440p monitor if it'll fit in your budget and running it at 1080p(going to lose some quality doing that) until you have hardware that can take better advantage of the 1440p resolution.

Alrighty, that doesn't sound too bad of an option, so say I splurge past my budget and go for the younger brother the PG279Q would that be perfect for the kind of gaming environment I mentioned in my original post with say a 1080Ti down the road?

30 minutes ago, Shiruxriu said:

I already mentioned that a new rig would be a waste for the money in my current monitor situation. Also how is the quality on the Acer monitor you mentioned above, do you have personal experience using it?

Yes, quite good. Its 24 Inches and its $189 usually, there´s a 25 inch version too, going for $250, however if you are really aiming for nice long term 1440p I would reccommend this one:

Its nicer, has a better panel and is bigger. However, do you have speakers/headset?

https://www.acer.com/ac/es/ES/content/model/UM.HH7EE.018 Its 27 inches.

H277HU, my current monitor (upgraded from the one above)

just change the language to English

NAd you are right a new Rig is stupid ATM, Ryzen Gen 2 is coming out shortly, RAM prices will lower and new GPUs

There are 2 versions, the standard one and a nbewer one with a tweaked panel and IO updates, HDMI 2.0 DP 1.4 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 and USB 3.0 They are classified as the same so be careful with that

4 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Yes, quite good. Its 24 Inches and its $189 usually, there´s a 25 inch version too, going for $250, however if you are really aiming for nice long term 1440p I would reccommend this one:

Its nicer, has a better panel and is bigger. However, do you have speakers/headset?

https://www.acer.com/ac/es/ES/content/model/UM.HH7EE.018 Its 27 inches.

H277HU, my current monitor (upgraded from the one above)

just change the language to English

NAd you are right a new Rig is stupid ATM, Ryzen Gen 2 is coming out shortly, RAM prices will lower and new GPUs

So other than 60Hz I agree with the summation that the Acer monitor you mentioned is better, the newer 1440p link you sent but in answer, yes I do although I am also running tv through my viewsonic occasionally. It's unimportant and if needed I'll find a workaround so audio should not be a concern.

If you want preety much the same but in Black I would reccommend the ASUS MX 25AQ (25 inch) or the ASUS MX27A (27inch). Both are 1440p and have nearly the same design, but in Black, they are a bit overpriced though.

2 minutes ago, Shiruxriu said:

So other than 60Hz I agree with the summation that the Acer monitor you mentioned is better, the newer 1440p link you sent but in answer, yes I do although I am also running tv through my viewsonic occasionally. It's unimportant and if needed I'll find a workaround so audio should not be a concern.

Both are actually are preety good, but the one I sent the link its like an "update"/upgrade with better color IO and stand. Also its bigger, but is a bit more expensive. That first one I sent you (the one I used to use) is the cheapest and best 1440p Monitor around for price/quality. But that one I have now, damn a beast. Also 60Hz shouldnt be a concern if you run 1440p, your card will be within Margin.

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

If you want preety much the same but in Black I would reccommend the ASUS MX 25AQ (25 inch) or the ASUS MX27A (27inch). Both are 1440p and have nearly the same design, but in Black, they are a bit overpriced though.

Alrighty, then I guess another concern more with the brand of monitor is such; have you had to deal with Acer support staff, and if so, how was the experience? I only ask because in so many reviews of Acer monitors that aren't video reviews, I end up reading detailed accounts from as recently as January 20th of this year, that Acer hasn't exactly been top notch in customer support for their monitors, have you had a different experience?

Alright so it's looking like the Asus PG279Q is a solid recommendation and looking to be my weapon of choice unless someone can suggest a similarly spec'ed or otherwise a 1080p version with much of the same technology.

Don't get me wrong this isn't the final monitor I want but it is the current best option someone has given me, and in my own research. And in truth I am somewhat disappointed by display technology. But for a daily driver monitor for what I do, I am sure it'll serve me well.

I'm gonna keep my options open until thursday midnight PST after which I intend to commit to a single monitor.