Forza Horizon 3 is broken

Aniallation

I've been having some performance issues with Forza Horizon 3, mainly really bad stuttering. At most points the game gets a solid 60 FPS but rather frequently drops right down to zero, CPU and GPU usage both drop as well. In the process of making a video to try and illustrate these issues the whole game ended up breaking altogether. Drivers are updated and no matter what tweaks I try in the Nvidia control panel that people suggest it still does the same thing.

Does anyone know what's going on and if there is a fix for this? I've heard the game is poorly optimized for PC and I know I only have a i5-2400 and a 1050, but it should still not be this bad on 720p at the lowest possible settings. It's pretty much unplayable, which is rather annoying because it's the first game I've purchased in a while thanks to it being so fun to play when I gave it a go on my friend's Xbox.

"Rawr XD"

44 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

I've heard the game is poorly optimized for PC

Microsoft and PC Optimisation don't go hand in hand my friend, sorry. 

How much Ram? Is the game installed on a Hard Drive or SSD? What do you have running in the background?

Horizon 3 works fine for me but I do have newer hardware (Not sure if that is even the problem)

11 minutes ago, Flurpster said:

How much Ram? Is the game installed on a Hard Drive or SSD? What do you have running in the background?

Horizon 3 works fine for me but I do have newer hardware (Not sure if that is even the problem)

8GB. Installed on whichever drive MS store defaults to which I presume is my boot SSD as it also loads pretty fast. Nothing running in the background aside from AB and Chrome.

"Rawr XD"

9 hours ago, Aniallation said:

8GB. Installed on whichever drive MS store defaults to which I presume is my boot SSD as it also loads pretty fast. Nothing running in the background aside from AB and Chrome.

I had the same issue. once I upgraded to 16gb ddr3. smooth as butter

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

30 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I had the same issue. once I upgraded to 16gb ddr3. smooth as butter

I'll try taking the 8gb from my other PC and adding it in. Makes sense as a few years ago I had issues with Watch Dogs running really badly on 4GB until I upgraded to 8.

"Rawr XD"

Just now, Aniallation said:

I'll try taking the 8gb from my other PC and adding it in. Makes sense as a few years ago I had issues with Watch Dogs running really badly on 4GB until I upgraded to 8.

that should work if the ram is the same. don't mix different model ram sticks

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

1 minute ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

that should work if the ram is the same. don't mix different model ram sticks

RAM will mix no problem, they will all just run at the speed of the slowest one.

"Rawr XD"

i have the game and play it (used to, got bored, to me it's the worst of the franchise) with the PC on my signature on 1080p at medium/high mix of settings. No problems at all.

Of course the most insane fast cars get me some stuttering but that's normal on my crappy PC, but still playable.

those stutters happen when vram is being refreshed, in that case you need more ram (yes ram, in theory you need vram (you actually need vram and high gpu bandwidth but usually shared memory comes to help if you dont want to upgrade your graphics card) 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I found a tip somewhere that said to turn pre-rendered frames in the in-game settings to 1 and that seems to have fixed the stuttering issue. I'm now able to run smoothly at 1080p low-medium settings. Not beautiful but I fall below the recommended specs in pretty much every category so I can't complain 

"Rawr XD"