Benq XL2540 Ghosting?

Dofyy

Hey,

So I recently purchased a 240hz Benq XL2540, and I've noticed that if I go to scroll down when looking at the next it almost has a 'white shadow' of the text and lines until I stop the scroll, if I hold the scroll it stays. However on me previous monitor which is 60hz it does not seem to do this, I also notice it on CS:GO when throwing nades, is this faulty or is there a setting that I need to change?

TIA

You are experiencing LCD overdrive.  Your monitor has to apply a voltage to the crystals to get them to move to change their brightness.  To make them move faster, it applies more voltage than it should.  As a side effect it overshoots its value and has to back up and you perceive this as ghosting, but it still settles on its final value faster.  Think of this as driving your car full throttle to a stop sign.  You may slam on the brakes and overshoot and have to back up.  You might still get to the intersection faster than if you drove at reasonable pace and slowed down at a smooth pace.

This is not a flaw, it's simply an engineering trade off and it's there intentionally by design.  Some companies are better at giving you control over this than others.  For example, my monitor has "normal" and "fast" modes.  Normal has almost zero ghosting and fast has noticeable ghosting.  Fast mode is better for FPS games at 144 fps and maintains clarity in motion better so I like having the option.  It's pretty hard or impossible to drive any LCD panel to 144 Hz or beyond (240) in your case without overdrive.  Without it there would simply be too much blur.

Look in your monitor menu for "overdrive."  If it's there, decreasing will help with ghosting but you'll experience more blurring so it's best to find a compromise that works for you.