Computer that SELF-DESTRUCTS if it’s HACKED!

I came for an exploding computer, not something that wipes its own hard drive.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

idk why, this reminds me of this from Top Gear about Jeremy's potentially suicidal Mercedes CLK.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm sure there would be some safety concerns around that *cough note 7 cough*

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

sure is a nice looking paperweght, but over 2k is a bit much for a paperweight, seriously not even able to upgrade the SSD without frying the whole thing.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm sure there would be some safety concerns around that *cough note 7 cough*

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

i'm here for the name of the disassembly music, anyone got a clue ?

I see no indication that they ship it with Coreboot and take efforts to neuter and disable Intel ME, like the Librem folks are starting to do with their laptops. So...check your threat model I guess?

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

click bait is LMG fortay

Also why so many new people at LMG, who left or is everyone staying.

I miss muscles, I hope he's doing well at Pinkbike.com

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Also why so many new people at LMG, who left or is everyone staying.

I miss muscles, I hope he's doing well at Pinkbike.com

Nicky V left(Rest In Peace), but other than him I don't know if anyone else did.

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Nicky V left(Rest In Peace), but other than him I don't know if anyone else did.

Yeah I call him muscles, he had to try to smile and he tried too hard to look casual.

34 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yeah I call him muscles, he had to try to smile and he tried too hard to look casual.

Liftin' tips wit ya boi Nicky V

For tamper resistant hardware (e.g., security card terminals), they often have switches that will be released once the system is opened, as well as light  sensors, and contacts around the case.

Though some people are able to still get around the physical security by first reverse engineering the physical security of the credit card terminal and then devising ways to bypass them without triggering a wiping of the NAND.

The overall goal of the tamper resistance is to make it so that an in-service system cannot be physically tampered with in a manner that will not be visually noticeable, as the case will have to be heavily mangled to bypass all of the security.

The second  level of security is then to avoid keeping sensitive information on the device, thus limiting a physical attack to compromising the software running.

6 hours ago, uLoop said:

I see no indication that they ship it with Coreboot and take efforts to neuter and disable Intel ME, like the Librem folks are starting to do with their laptops. So...check your threat model I guess?

You raise a completely valid point - a system is only as secure as its' weakest point, so if the boot firmware cannot be replaced with an open source alternative to whatever crap ships on it from AMI / Award BIOS, or worse, Intel, then you should assume it's insecure by design.

5 hours ago, geo3 said:

And how is it protected from standard over the network attacks while it's on and unlocked?

It's not - if the operating system is not fully 100% open source, you should assume its' insecure. Same goes for the firmware and BIOS boot code.

The most concerning bit for me is whether or not ORWL has a free recycling program in-place for proper disposal and recycling of these throwaway PC's, or if this is just the prototype and retail models will have user upgradable RAM and CPUs. You know, since we only have 1 earth, might as well make products that keep waste out of our landfills...

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Nicky V may leave LTT but he will never leave our hearts. RIP Nicky V :'(

For hardware that wipes itself once it's tampered with, I can't see any other reason why I'd want to invest in something like this.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

11 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

For hardware that wipes itself once it's tampered with, I can't see any other reason why I'd want to invest in something like this.

I really like the idea but they need a laptop version which would be much more suitable.