R9 390 lifespam

so ive done this topic to death, but i just bought an r9 390 for 200 pounds (uk), and at that price i speculate it might have been in ownership of a crypto miner. How long would a tri-fan r9 390 last? Looking for about a year and a half and im not talking about performance, but how long till it dies.

How long is a piece of string. Should be fine for a number of years, but you might be unlucky

Just now, Hugsy Malone said:

How long is a piece of string. Should be fine for a number of years, but you might be unlucky

might be but if it happens to have problems (like the hdmi not working) i would just return it. 

i dont think they have been out long enough for any of them to die yet tbh. it all depends on the components on there, and how the card has been run and so on. the caps are probably rated for 5000h at 105C, and bellow that they should last way way longer, but the silicon in the core, the memory chips and so on could die before that but because there are no lifespan stuffs for those that i know of, could be literally forever or it could die tomorrow

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont think they have been out long enough for any of them to die yet tbh. it all depends on the components on there, and how the card has been run and so on. the caps are probably rated for 5000h at 105C, and bellow that they should last way way longer, but the silicon in the core, the memory chips and so on could die before that but because there are no lifespan stuffs for those that i know of, could be literally forever or it could die tomorrow

im just looking out for it to work for like a year untill freesync compatible cards finally become cheap again.

20 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

i speculate it might have been in ownership of a crypto miner.

So? What's the point in this line of thought?

20 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Looking for about a year and a half and im not talking about performance, but how long till it dies.

GPUs usually perform exactly the same from the moment they are unpackaged up until the moment they stop working... It's not like an SSD that has a finite number or writes. It works until it doesn't. How long that takes is up to you and the environment in which it operates.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, AskingForAFriend said:

im just looking out for it to work for like a year untill freesync compatible cards finally become cheap again.

probably, mining dosent wear any more on the card than running a demanding game for that long so its probably fine for quite a while more unless its been in a cramped box with no airflow or something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

They could have physically broken a trace, nocked off a component, or possibly zapped a chip through miss handling.  Or, you could consider it as pretested and will work as you find it until it dies.   I would run all sorts of stress tests and verify the ports before deciding the cards status.  Definitely a lottery.  

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Ok so derailment removed ... Please answer the OP's question or move on.

Thanks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Im pretty sure the r9 390 is freesync compatible...am i wrong? 

Is there no way to test the card first?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

19 hours ago, MikeSK said:

They could have physically broken a trace, nocked off a component, or possibly zapped a chip through miss handling.  Or, you could consider it as pretested and will work as you find it until it dies.   I would run all sorts of stress tests and verify the ports before deciding the cards status.  Definitely a lottery.  

yes i do intend to run off stuff like furr mark for a couple of hours.