AskingForAFriend

R9 390 lifespam

Posted · Original PosterOP

so ive done this topic to death, but i just bought an r9 390 for 200 pounds (uk), and at that price i speculate it might have been in ownership of a crypto miner. How long would a tri-fan r9 390 last? Looking for about a year and a half and im not talking about performance, but how long till it dies.

Just now, Hugsy Malone said:

How long is a piece of string. Should be fine for a number of years, but you might be unlucky

might be but if it happens to have problems (like the hdmi not working) i would just return it. 

i dont think they have been out long enough for any of them to die yet tbh. it all depends on the components on there, and how the card has been run and so on. the caps are probably rated for 5000h at 105C, and bellow that they should last way way longer, but the silicon in the core, the memory chips and so on could die before that but because there are no lifespan stuffs for those that i know of, could be literally forever or it could die tomorrow

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play Paladins & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The LAN PC 5.0

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont think they have been out long enough for any of them to die yet tbh. it all depends on the components on there, and how the card has been run and so on. the caps are probably rated for 5000h at 105C, and bellow that they should last way way longer, but the silicon in the core, the memory chips and so on could die before that but because there are no lifespan stuffs for those that i know of, could be literally forever or it could die tomorrow

im just looking out for it to work for like a year untill freesync compatible cards finally become cheap again.

20 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

i speculate it might have been in ownership of a crypto miner.

So? What's the point in this line of thought?

20 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Looking for about a year and a half and im not talking about performance, but how long till it dies.

GPUs usually perform exactly the same from the moment they are unpackaged up until the moment they stop working... It's not like an SSD that has a finite number or writes. It works until it doesn't. How long that takes is up to you and the environment in which it operates.

R7 1700X 3.9 GHz | Asus X370 Pro | SeaSonic SS660 | 2x8GB Cosair RGB 3466 (3200MHz) | H115i AIO | Phanteks P400S | GTX 1080ti FE | Crucial MX300

Just now, AskingForAFriend said:

im just looking out for it to work for like a year untill freesync compatible cards finally become cheap again.

probably, mining dosent wear any more on the card than running a demanding game for that long so its probably fine for quite a while more unless its been in a cramped box with no airflow or something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play Paladins & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The LAN PC 5.0

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

They could have physically broken a trace, nocked off a component, or possibly zapped a chip through miss handling.  Or, you could consider it as pretested and will work as you find it until it dies.   I would run all sorts of stress tests and verify the ports before deciding the cards status.  Definitely a lottery.  

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Ok so derailment removed ... Please answer the OP's question or move on.

Thanks.

News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing. ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates.

About Myself: https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Im pretty sure the r9 390 is freesync compatible...am i wrong? 

Is there no way to test the card first?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 with BeQuiet Dark Rock Slim // RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB DDR3 1600mhz CL9 // GPU: Gigabyte Gaming RX 580 4GB// Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-B75m-D3H Rev 1.1 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 2 X 1TB Western Digital Blue | 128 GB Mushkin SSD | Asus DVD/CD optical drive // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz 5ms // Peripherals: Logitech MK270 | Linksys AC1200 USB wifi | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

19 hours ago, MikeSK said:

They could have physically broken a trace, nocked off a component, or possibly zapped a chip through miss handling.  Or, you could consider it as pretested and will work as you find it until it dies.   I would run all sorts of stress tests and verify the ports before deciding the cards status.  Definitely a lottery.  

yes i do intend to run off stuff like furr mark for a couple of hours.