Have I F*cked up my Motherboard?

Hello, thank you for clicking on my post. I am busy building a pc and I do not have all the parts yet. I installed my motherboard into my case because I have my Motherboard, Case and Power Supply Unit already and I am still waiting on my other parts. Now I just installed the motherboard because I thought ''Hey why not, there's nothing wrong with installing a motherboard in a case for no reason? Right?'' So... I installed the motherboard, without any stand off's... so I literally took the screws included in the case and screwed the motherboard straight to the case without installing the little stand off things so the back of the motherboard doesn't touch the case, well... I didn't install those stand off things and the motherboard was touching the back off the case for a good week, I still haven't gotten all my stuff yet so I don't know if i have short circuited it or not? Please tell my that there is some sort of god and that my 150 Dollar Motherboard is going to be okay?

Please...?

Here is a video showing my mistake - 54023561426__9A68EA3F-D267-4358-BE5B-6A1D87A9B4FF.MOV

Since you do not have your CPU and RAM I am assuming you didn't connect the motherboard to the PSU, or even if you did, you didn't power it on.

So it should be fine.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

It's probably still fine. I have built systems on carpets before and dropped motherboards, they still work to this day. :D

As long as you didn’t power it up it should be fine still. Take it out and install the stand offs, do a test post of the system when you have all the components before putting it inside the case. 

If no power was applied to the PSU (not plugged into the wall) its fine.

Make sure you only install stand offs where the MB has a hole.  Do not just install all of the stand offs.

Most likely it hasn't short circuited if there was no power ever on the motherboard. Plus the only thing that could have a chance of shorting it would be static shocks from the case which is probably unlikely unless you touch the case

Maybe something's cool down here?

System specs are in profile

Just an average guy looking around the forums for something intresting...

Enjoy your memes. ^_^

You should be fine.. assuming your case is painted and isn't bare metal, and assuming you didn't try and turn the pc on.
If all you did is screw it isn and leave it, then you should be fine.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

If no power was applied to the PSU (not plugged into the wall) its fine.

Make sure you only install stand offs where the MB has a hole.  Do not just install all of the stand offs.

Wait what do you mean? 

Just now, Hugsy Malone said:

You should be fine.. assuming your case is painted and isn't bare metal, and assuming you didn't try and turn the pc on.
If all you did is screw it isn and leave it, then you should be fine.

Thank you, I did not give the motherboard any power.

Hmm

If the board was screwed down tight the board itself may be damages.  There are ceramic capacitors on the back side of the PCB, which can crack or otherwise be damaged if you put pressure on them.

1 minute ago, WiViW said:

Most likely it hasn't short circuited if there was no power ever on the motherboard. Plus the only thing that could have a chance of shorting it would be static shocks from the case which is probably unlikely unless you touch the case

Thanks man, I did not give power to the motherboard so things should be fine.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Hmm

If the board was screwed down tight the board itself may be damages.  There are ceramic capacitors on the back side of the PCB, which can crack or otherwise be damaged if you put pressure on them.

I did not bend the board, I just screwed it to the case with equal pressure on each side, just without putting the stand offs on...

1 minute ago, Jordan Rage said:

Wait what do you mean? 

MB may have 6-9 holes, case may have 13+ for different MB layouts.

If you put stand offs where they do not line up with a hole in the board you will short something out when you power on.

12 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

MB may have 6-9 holes, case may have 13+ for different MB layouts.

If you put stand offs where they do not line up with a hole in the board you will short something out when you power on.

I have 9 holes on the board and i aqupide all of them with stand offs and screws as you see in the video.

• Don't power incomplete systems
  • Don't build incomplete systems 
  • Always 'test' the system out of the case (do it on your motherboard box if you like) as to not waste your time incase of fault finding
  • Most people will ignore bullet point 3 even though its a damn good idea (experienced builders I know still do this)

Future reference as it's your first build I know people are keen to buy parts when they have more money but this is a bad idea if your motherboard is dead on arrival and sits on your shelf for several months, a short circuit is caused by a fault connection being bridged and you didn't say you had a cpu installed? it won't post or boot or do anything without one and you motherboard won't short circuit unpowered on itself installed incorrectly as far as I'm aware.

If you must build your system into the case reseat the board with the correct setup and screw in, stop being over excited close the case and leave it alone till the other parts are available.

6 hours ago, Jordan Rage said:

Hello, thank you for clicking on my post. I am busy building a pc and I do not have all the parts yet. I installed my motherboard into my case because I have my Motherboard, Case and Power Supply Unit already and I am still waiting on my other parts. Now I just installed the motherboard because I thought ''Hey why not, there's nothing wrong with installing a motherboard in a case for no reason? Right?'' So... I installed the motherboard, without any stand off's... so I literally took the screws included in the case and screwed the motherboard straight to the case without installing the little stand off things so the back of the motherboard doesn't touch the case, well... I didn't install those stand off things and the motherboard was touching the back off the case for a good week, I still haven't gotten all my stuff yet so I don't know if i have short circuited it or not? Please tell my that there is some sort of god and that my 150 Dollar Motherboard is going to be okay?

Please...?

Here is a video showing my mistake - 54023561426__9A68EA3F-D267-4358-BE5B-6A1D87A9B4FF.MOV

10 points for the first line