Jump to content
xovague

Can Air Go Through Radiator?

The answer to your question is this OP. Will the air go through.. YES. Will it be hotter than usual? YES. The air flow will be significantly less because of the restriction from the radiator, however there is an answer to this. Just pick up a nice set of high static pressure fans... they will be able to move more air through the restrictive radiator.

 

Now the next problem is you will be warmer air blowing across your cpu, but as long as you are able to exhaust this air quickly you should still be ok. The biggest thing you need to make sure of is you have enough exhaust, because if you don't the warm air from the radiator will add to the head from your gpu creating a hotspot that will in return cause your gpu to be hotter than before. If you have enough air flow though then the impact of the warmer air will be minimal. 

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have the S340 Elite case and have a radiator behind the 2 front fans, would this constrict airflow from hitting my GPU or does air still pass through radiators?

Link to post
Share on other sites

um, really ? 

the fans push the air though the radiator, i dont .... ?


Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64
 

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Link to post
Share on other sites

The air passes through, its hot air, you cant do much about that, the S340 isn't really optimised for airflow, I'd recommend pull configuration for the fans, you will have way less work with de-dusting your pc.


 

My Rig:

CPU 8600K (@ 4.6 GHz)  GPU EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC ACX 2.0  Mobo ASUS PRIME Z370 A  RAM 16GB Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz  Boot SSD Samsung 960 evo 250GB  SSD Samsung 840 evo 1TB  PSU SilentiumPC Vero M1 600 Watts  Cooler Corsair H80i v2  Case Phanteks Eclipse P400

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, DnFx91 said:

um, really ? 

the fans push the air though the radiator, i dont .... ?

Does the fans just make the radiator cool down or does the air manage to fully go all the way through it, I would assume there could be constriction cause air can pass through water that’s the only reason I’m asking

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DnFx91 said:

um, really ? 

the fans push the air though the radiator, i dont .... ?

^^^^ I mean, the airflow is gonna be a bit weaker because of turbulence... but if you used high static pressure fans it should be fine, especially in such a small case... and your GPU has fans on it anyways. 


Maxwell is still awesome, and so is X58. If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

 

Current build:

CPU: Xeon X5675 at about 4.2GHz

CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula
Memory: 16GB HyperX Savage (smexy red, boyos ;)) at 1800something MHz
Storage: HyperX Fury 120GB SSD
Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD

More storage: 2TB something or other drive lying around. 
Video Card: MSI Gaming 980 Ti 6G 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620W

 

2012 MacBook Pro (Work): 2.9GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 525GB SSD. 

 

iPad Pro: magic (and you can't open it up to disprove it, as it's glued shut). Jk, it's got an A9X with 4GB RAM. I didn't need it, so I surrendered it to my Mum.  She never used it so It's mine again. 

 

iPhone 6 Plus: more magic, with an A8 and 1GB RAM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

The air passes through, its hot air, you cant do much about that, the S340 isn't really optimised for airflow, I'd recommend pull configuration for the fans, you will have way less work with de-dusting your pc.

Which case would you recommend for good airflow that is sexy as the S340 Elite?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how this looks like? Can you post a picture? I have the same case.


Use ecosia to plant trees by just browsing the internet! :x (based on bing search engine)

BTC Accepting Computer Store in Europe: caseking

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xovague said:

Which case would you recommend for good airflow that is sexy as the S340 Elite?

Usually its or airflow or looks, The corsair obsidian 450D has decent airflow for a simillar price, but it does not look that great.


 

My Rig:

CPU 8600K (@ 4.6 GHz)  GPU EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC ACX 2.0  Mobo ASUS PRIME Z370 A  RAM 16GB Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz  Boot SSD Samsung 960 evo 250GB  SSD Samsung 840 evo 1TB  PSU SilentiumPC Vero M1 600 Watts  Cooler Corsair H80i v2  Case Phanteks Eclipse P400

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Usually its or airflow or looks, The corsair obsidian 450D has decent airflow for a simillar price, but it does not look that great.

I think the only that matches both aesthetic and airflow is the Phanteks Enthoo Elite but I’m not about to spend 800$ on a case

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xovague said:

Here you go

EE61CBCA-76C5-4213-B639-9B4425371AA7.jpeg

You have a reference style blower card, your fine


 

My Rig:

CPU 8600K (@ 4.6 GHz)  GPU EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC ACX 2.0  Mobo ASUS PRIME Z370 A  RAM 16GB Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz  Boot SSD Samsung 960 evo 250GB  SSD Samsung 840 evo 1TB  PSU SilentiumPC Vero M1 600 Watts  Cooler Corsair H80i v2  Case Phanteks Eclipse P400

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

You have a reference style blower card, your fine

Okay cool just making sure yeah my 1080Ti is always hitting 84C when playing PUBG and some

other high demand graphics games

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, xovague said:

Okay cool just making sure yeah my 1080Ti is always hitting 84C when playing PUBG and some

other high demand graphics games

that's because it is an reference cooler. it really isn;t the best. if you want lower temps you should get a bracket to attach a 120mm AIO or something simmilar.

 

also, the whole point of a radiator is to have air move through it. a radiator is basically just the fins on a normal air cooler, when air moves through it take some of the heat off of the fins. but they need air moving through them to function.


Xeon E5-2670 BCLK 3.18Ghz ~ 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ~ Asrock X79 Extreme4-M  GTX Titan X (Pascal)  ~ Full Custom Watercooling ~ About 1.5Tb of mixed SSD's ~ EVGA Supernova 850 G2 ~ InWin 301

BlackMac buildlog ShoeBox 2.0 buildlog 60% Keyboard Buildlog

RIP Intel Core i7 4960X, you will never be forgotten.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe forcing air through the fins on a radiator from the front to the back inside the case is a bad design.  The radiator is preheating the air entering the chassis.  Your video card is air cooled with pre-heated air.  I have not seen any current chassis designs that cool the radiator without interacting with chassis air.  I believe Linus had a tech quickie about how old school used to run and mount the radiators to the top outside of the case with fans.  Current builds are a compromise of esthetics versus functionality.  If you could mount it on the top, you could have LED fans push and pulling.  I wonder why someone has not come up with an external radiator fan box you could mount to the top of any PC chassis?

Edited by MikeSK
added p to re-heated
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
45 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

that's because it is an reference cooler. it really isn;t the best. if you want lower temps you should get a bracket to attach a 120mm AIO or something simmilar.

 

also, the whole point of a radiator is to have air move through it. a radiator is basically just the fins on a normal air cooler, when air moves through it take some of the heat off of the fins. but they need air moving through them to function.

Gotcha do you have a 120 cooler for my Ti in mind they you can link me to? And yeah I was just trying to figure out if the air goes fully through it instead of just hitting the radiator and getting nothing out the backside 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

I believe forcing air through the fins on a radiator from the front to the back inside the case is a bad design.  The radiator is preheating the air entering the chassis.  Your video card is air cooled with pre-heated air.  I have not seen any current chassis designs that cool the radiator without interacting with chassis air.  I believe Linus had a tech quickie about how old school used to run and mount the radiators to the top outside of the case with fans.  Current builds are a compromise of esthetics versus functionality.  If you could mount it on the top, you could have LED fans push and pulling.  I wonder why someone has not come up with an external radiator fan box you could mount to the top of any PC chassis?

I agree as I stated earlier I think the only one that made a dope design and great functionality was the Enthoo Elite but pricing it at 800$ is crazy especially when you’re paying majority of it towards the case it comes in

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just run the intake and gpu fans higher when gaming. Shouldn't be an issue though not proffered.


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Gskillz Ares Ram 32Gb's, GTX 1080 SLI, OCZ  ZX Series 1000, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 3770k, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Pny ram 16Gb's, EVGA Titan Black SC SLI, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235HZ x3 5760x1080@120hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer

The answer to your question is this OP. Will the air go through.. YES. Will it be hotter than usual? YES. The air flow will be significantly less because of the restriction from the radiator, however there is an answer to this. Just pick up a nice set of high static pressure fans... they will be able to move more air through the restrictive radiator.

 

Now the next problem is you will be warmer air blowing across your cpu, but as long as you are able to exhaust this air quickly you should still be ok. The biggest thing you need to make sure of is you have enough exhaust, because if you don't the warm air from the radiator will add to the head from your gpu creating a hotspot that will in return cause your gpu to be hotter than before. If you have enough air flow though then the impact of the warmer air will be minimal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×