Can Air Go Through Radiator?

Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,

The answer to your question is this OP. Will the air go through.. YES. Will it be hotter than usual? YES. The air flow will be significantly less because of the restriction from the radiator, however there is an answer to this. Just pick up a nice set of high static pressure fans... they will be able to move more air through the restrictive radiator.

Now the next problem is you will be warmer air blowing across your cpu, but as long as you are able to exhaust this air quickly you should still be ok. The biggest thing you need to make sure of is you have enough exhaust, because if you don't the warm air from the radiator will add to the head from your gpu creating a hotspot that will in return cause your gpu to be hotter than before. If you have enough air flow though then the impact of the warmer air will be minimal. 

I have the S340 Elite case and have a radiator behind the 2 front fans, would this constrict airflow from hitting my GPU or does air still pass through radiators?

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

um, really ? 

the fans push the air though the radiator, i dont .... ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

The air passes through, its hot air, you cant do much about that, the S340 isn't really optimised for airflow, I'd recommend pull configuration for the fans, you will have way less work with de-dusting your pc.

Just now, DnFx91 said:

um, really ? 

Does the fans just make the radiator cool down or does the air manage to fully go all the way through it, I would assume there could be constriction cause air can pass through water that’s the only reason I’m asking

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

Just now, DnFx91 said:

um, really ? 

^^^^ I mean, the airflow is gonna be a bit weaker because of turbulence... but if you used high static pressure fans it should be fine, especially in such a small case... and your GPU has fans on it anyways. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

The air passes through, its hot air, you cant do much about that, the S340 isn't really optimised for airflow, I'd recommend pull configuration for the fans, you will have way less work with de-dusting your pc.

Which case would you recommend for good airflow that is sexy as the S340 Elite?

I wonder how this looks like? Can you post a picture? I have the same case.

Just now, xovague said:

Which case would you recommend for good airflow that is sexy as the S340 Elite?

Usually its or airflow or looks, The corsair obsidian 450D has decent airflow for a simillar price, but it does not look that great.

4 minutes ago, Hip said:

I wonder how this looks like? Can you post a picture? I have the same case.

Here you go

EE61CBCA-76C5-4213-B639-9B4425371AA7.jpeg

ECB41B5F-D3AE-4B95-9095-459A116E2B75.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Usually its or airflow or looks, The corsair obsidian 450D has decent airflow for a simillar price, but it does not look that great.

I think the only that matches both aesthetic and airflow is the Phanteks Enthoo Elite but I’m not about to spend 800$ on a case

2 minutes ago, xovague said:

Here you go

EE61CBCA-76C5-4213-B639-9B4425371AA7.jpeg

You have a reference style blower card, your fine

Just now, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

You have a reference style blower card, your fine

Okay cool just making sure yeah my 1080Ti is always hitting 84C when playing PUBG and some

other high demand graphics games

7 minutes ago, xovague said:

Okay cool just making sure yeah my 1080Ti is always hitting 84C when playing PUBG and some

that's because it is an reference cooler. it really isn;t the best. if you want lower temps you should get a bracket to attach a 120mm AIO or something simmilar.

also, the whole point of a radiator is to have air move through it. a radiator is basically just the fins on a normal air cooler, when air moves through it take some of the heat off of the fins. but they need air moving through them to function.

9 minutes ago, xovague said:

That is normal for a reference design.

I believe forcing air through the fins on a radiator from the front to the back inside the case is a bad design.  The radiator is preheating the air entering the chassis.  Your video card is air cooled with pre-heated air.  I have not seen any current chassis designs that cool the radiator without interacting with chassis air.  I believe Linus had a tech quickie about how old school used to run and mount the radiators to the top outside of the case with fans.  Current builds are a compromise of esthetics versus functionality.  If you could mount it on the top, you could have LED fans push and pulling.  I wonder why someone has not come up with an external radiator fan box you could mount to the top of any PC chassis?

Edited by MikeSK
added p to re-heated

45 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

that's because it is an reference cooler. it really isn;t the best. if you want lower temps you should get a bracket to attach a 120mm AIO or something simmilar.

also, the whole point of a radiator is to have air move through it. a radiator is basically just the fins on a normal air cooler, when air moves through it take some of the heat off of the fins. but they need air moving through them to function.

Gotcha do you have a 120 cooler for my Ti in mind they you can link me to? And yeah I was just trying to figure out if the air goes fully through it instead of just hitting the radiator and getting nothing out the backside 

19 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

I believe forcing air through the fins on a radiator from the front to the back inside the case is a bad design.  The radiator is preheating the air entering the chassis.  Your video card is air cooled with pre-heated air.  I have not seen any current chassis designs that cool the radiator without interacting with chassis air.  I believe Linus had a tech quickie about how old school used to run and mount the radiators to the top outside of the case with fans.  Current builds are a compromise of esthetics versus functionality.  If you could mount it on the top, you could have LED fans push and pulling.  I wonder why someone has not come up with an external radiator fan box you could mount to the top of any PC chassis?

I agree as I stated earlier I think the only one that made a dope design and great functionality was the Enthoo Elite but pricing it at 800$ is crazy especially when you’re paying majority of it towards the case it comes in

Just run the intake and gpu fans higher when gaming. Shouldn't be an issue though not proffered.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

The answer to your question is this OP. Will the air go through.. YES. Will it be hotter than usual? YES. The air flow will be significantly less because of the restriction from the radiator, however there is an answer to this. Just pick up a nice set of high static pressure fans... they will be able to move more air through the restrictive radiator.

Now the next problem is you will be warmer air blowing across your cpu, but as long as you are able to exhaust this air quickly you should still be ok. The biggest thing you need to make sure of is you have enough exhaust, because if you don't the warm air from the radiator will add to the head from your gpu creating a hotspot that will in return cause your gpu to be hotter than before. If you have enough air flow though then the impact of the warmer air will be minimal.