Youtube monetization

Techicolors

i heard that creators do not get ad money if you do not view the ad completely (such as clicking 'skip ad'). is that true? if so, is it any different from using an adblocker anyways? 

3 hours ago, Wikiforce said:

Not true, they do get money for the ad displayed doesn't matter if it's not completely viewed but not as much as with unskipped full length. I am not sure where you heard that,  it doesn't work like that. Otherwise, youtube earning would very low.

If you go to create a ad on youtube it says that you only pay if a person watches 30 sec or longer your ad, if it is over a minute long. That is why many people create those 10 hour adds, because no one is gonna watch any second of those. If you create  a 10 sec unskippable ad, then you have to pay more, and have to pay 100% of the time. Atleast it was like that a year ago...

4 hours ago, Wikiforce said:

Not true, they do get money for the ad displayed doesn't matter if it's not completely viewed but not as much as with unskipped full length. I am not sure where you heard that,  it doesn't work like that. Otherwise, youtube earning would very low.

Source on it not being true?

Here are a few sources which claims that it is true:

Business Insider:

TrueView ads on YouTube allow advertisers to only pay for ads that are watched to completion.

InfluencerMarketingHub:

Skippable video ads (ads at the start of a video that a viewer can skip after five seconds) - you get paid if a viewer watches the whole ad (or at least 30 seconds if it’s longer). These are the most common type of YouTube ad.

-snip-

Midroll ads (ads in the middle of a longer video) - payment depends, but usually, a viewer has to watch an entire ad for at least 30 seconds)

Apparently Hank Green has also said it but I can't find that specific video.

Edit:
I also found this from the old Google support forum. It has since then been changed so I am not sure how actual the data is:

trueview.PNG.cd67617472b73003dd7c54de9efaa7f5.PNG

I guess it depends on whether or not the ad is trueview or not

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

15 hours ago, Technicolors said:

i heard that creators do not get ad money if you do not view the ad completely (such as clicking 'skip ad'). is that true? if so, is it any different from using an adblocker anyways? 

They get paid if you watch the ad in it's entirety, or you hit skip after 30 seconds of ad has played. If the ad is less than 30 seconds long, you have to watch the entire ad for the channel to get paid.

@LAwLz has the exact part quoted.

Now, has this changed? Maybe. But Google/YouTube has always been very vague about this and hidden the information. They've not been transparent at all.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)