SpaceX to launch a satellite for Low-Cost Internet Global Internet this week

saravanak85
6 hours ago, Nicnac said:

This will especially be interesting for you net-neutrality affected US citizens ^^

I'm more interested to see how this will effect NK and China.  Granted might not change a thing there but who knows.

5 hours ago, BuckGup said:

There aren't any local monopolies there

Maybe not technical monopolies but there are plenty of monopolies setup through cross company agreements where the major telecom companies agree on where they will provide service. 

Example I live in the Hudson valley and on the West Bank of the Hudson we have purely spectrum and the east side is fios/Comcast. Though not a technical monopoly I only have one option for internet. 

its actually just parts for his death star duhh

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I mean, 75 GHz should be enough.

According to wikipedia they will be operating in the Ka- band (26.5 to 40 GHz).  That's more than I thought it would be.

Combined with the massive number of satellites planned, the connection shouldn't be that bad, but it also sounds way too ambitions to be true... Not that that's stopped Musk in the past!

23 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

According to wikipedia they will be operating in the Ka- band (26.5 to 40 GHz).  That's more than I thought it would be.

Combined with the massive number of satellites planned, the connection shouldn't be that bad, but it also sounds way too ambitions to be true... Not that that's stopped Musk in the past!

Yeah, Musk has always been that guy who tries to run before he can walk. Trouble is, that he seems to manage it more often than not...

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

43 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Dang I was tired last night when I read the Wikipedia page. You’re right; the page says >24GHz.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

This could also prove useful for people with extremely slow internet in some countries where it is deemed too costly for the ISP to expand into non-urban areas as they wouldn't make enough revenue from it.. or so they say. I actually have a nice speed, but in some surrounding villages/towns the speed is abysmal, and the 4g coverage isn't much better in terms of coverage/speed, so they don't have any good options ATM. Hopefully this will solve a few of the infrastructure problems in many places and at least get some people online and able to access resources and much needed basic things that we all take for granted now.. even stuff like access to their utility bills and such, that you have to pay extra to have a paper bill sent out nowadays and internet banking. Of course it will be even more useful for under-developed countries for school resources and such, which I think we all can agree on is the right move, and well done to space-x for this amazing idea.

Here's hoping it will spur a growth in that area, and one day we may only need a few land nodes to provide the backbone, with much of it then satellite/air based for the delivery.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 hours ago, Nicnac said:

This will especially be interesting for you net-neutrality affected US citizens ^^

Literally zero difference with or without net neutrality as far as I can tell

10 hours ago, LordTaco42 said:

I'm more interested to see how this will effect NK and China.  Granted might not change a thing there but who knows.

I can see China benefiting from this as people have access the internet even if it’s restricted by their Great Firewall but definitely not North Korea. In NK, only the supreme leader and a very few people close to the Kim family have access to the real internet. Internet in NK is just intranet which they call “Kwangmyong” and it’s only accessible by the privileged people living in Pyongyang. Majority of the people working in labor camps or rural areas don’t even know what internet is. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

17 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Satellite internet = high latency 

But if it means better internet access for low income people in rural areas and third world countries without fiber optic coverage then why not?

Chances are the low income families and the third world couldn't afford a device to use it.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Chances are the low income families and the third world couldn't afford a device to use it.

Many can’t afford it but the likes of USAID, UN, and other private charity organizations (e.g. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) fund them for free. I wouldn’t be surprised if Elon Musk do something similar which is very useful for K-12 education in many poor places. But in some rural areas like the mountainous towns and remote coastal areas where laying out fiber optic cables can be expensive, satellite internet will serve them just fine. 

19 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Actually the ping with these are super low. He quoted 60-100ms added latency.

Thats my ping for ADSL2+ :S and not to anywhere special either >:(

obviously ol Musky needs a secure communication system to contact his minions during the takeover. 

On 2/12/2018 at 8:22 AM, sazrocks said:

Actually since these are at a lower altitude I wonder if we will see more reasonable ping times. If they can limit the number of hops then I would guess 100-200ms ping times are possible.

The constellation is planned for LEO and iirc should include around 2400 satellites. The very low altitude compared to geosync and the number of satellites means that 50-65ms ping should be very possible especially with whatever advancements may come in the next few years as the system is brought online.

On 2/12/2018 at 8:35 AM, BuckGup said:

There aren't any local monopolies there

*Yet

On 2/13/2018 at 12:16 AM, hey_yo_ said:

But if it means better internet access for low income people in rural areas and third world countries without fiber optic coverage then why not?

Can you hear that sound? Its Aussies rejoicing lol 

On 2/12/2018 at 1:22 PM, LittleRedRose said:

Maybe not technical monopolies but there are plenty of monopolies setup through cross company agreements where the major telecom companies agree on where they will provide service. 

Example I live in the Hudson valley and on the West Bank of the Hudson we have purely spectrum and the east side is fios/Comcast. Though not a technical monopoly I only have one option for internet. 

They mean no monopolies in space. It is supposed to be a joke about how isps are a monopoly now.

4 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Can you hear that sound? Its Aussies rejoicing lol 

I don't think Australia is in any means poor or a third world country to need that kind of satellite internet though I think New Zealand's internet is way faster than Australia's as per Speedtest's Global Index (January 2018) for fixed broadband. http://www.speedtest.net/global-index

• Rank 21 - New Zealand
  • Rank 56 - Australia 

Though Australia's 4G is faster than NZ's.

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't think Australia is in any means poor or a third world country to need that kind of satellite internet though I think New Zealand's internet is way faster than Australia's as per Speedtest's Global Index (January 2018) for fixed broadband

A lot of rural (and some suburban) Australia are dealing with terrible speeds and limited options, having another option on the table will have a good impact on the landscape.  It sucks to live just minutes from a city center and not be able to download anything faster than 500kbps, sometimes i cant even watch a 1920x1080 YouTube clip without it stalling and turning itself down to 720p lol 

4G speeds are great but if the plans are outrageously expensive they arent really an option. $45 a month for 30 GB is insane. 

so...more ugandan princess' will be able to write me mails about sending me money?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

the video was unlisted it looks like, so if you don't want to go to there website here you go.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing