VLC Media Player is updated to version 3.0, bringing support for HDR and 360-degree video

ProjectBox153

The popular media player software from VideoLAN has been updated to version 3.0, and it brings support for HDR content (both 10 and 12 bit color) and the playback of 360-degree video. The new version of VLC can also stream content from your computer (with the VLC update) to a Chromecast or Chromecast enabled television. VLC is an open source program, and the developers wanted it to remain that way. The reason the Chromecast implementation took so long was for the developers to reverse engineer the Chromecast support. 

Please note that Chromecast support in VLC 3.0 is fully open-source for all platforms! That’s the reason why it took us so long to ship as we completely reverse-engineered the entire thing. The closed-source component by Google can’t be used for legal reasons in VLC, isn’t compatible with Macs, Linux and Windows and supports a very limited set of codecs only. With our code, you can play basically anything VLC can decode on your Chromecast (as we transcode on-the-fly if needed).

Screen-Shot-2018-02-09-at-3_53.20-PM-800x476.png.23fa8aeb57c6447bde53ff225c3edb9e.png

The interface retains the familiar look as older versions of the program, but has many new features under the hood. Along with the 360 degree video support, VLC also has support for 3D audio, and hardware acceleration of 4K content. The update is currently supported on Windows, Macintosh, iOS, Android and Windows Phone, and the Linux version will become available soon. 

To download the latest version of VLC 3.0, visit: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/3.0.0.html

Sources:

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

This is great. I always recommend VLC because they just threw every possible codec I could think of together into one media player and made it super easy. Now they've gotten even better and continue to be my top recommendation. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I just updated mine but on the Mac especially I almost never use it. QuickTime does basically everything I would ask VLC to do, lol. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

This is great. I always recommend VLC because they just threw every possible codec I could think of together into one media player and made it super easy. Now they've gotten even better and continue to be my top recommendation. 

except for MIDI unfortunately

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

It worked with no issues on movies and shows like The Wire, Grand Tour and Supernatural. Tried watching Friends with my gf which worked great on 2.2.5 and it crashes on every episode on 3.0 just few seconds in. Tried default Win 10 player as well, no issues whatsoever.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Might try it out. Havent used it for a while since I mostly watch my shows with my chromecast using the videostream app because it allowed me to cast with subs and to create a queue of videos from different folders.

If it is properly able to display subs on the chromecast then I might use it.

Edit: Tried it out and it wont even load any of the files I've tried even after a reboot of the chromecast and of VLC. So I am definitely not going to use this at least for now until they improve it and fix issues.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

And its still my main way of playing DVD on any of my computers. Whether it be my 1997 Slot 1 desktop or my main rig.

Edit: BTW, still treat the UWP version like cancer. It can't playback DVD or Blueray.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If only they'd release an MSI installer so I could push it out via group policy...

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Is Chromecast rendering working for anyone? Mine stays in a continuous loading state. For the time being it seems I'll need to stick to Xbox casting through Windows.  (I still use VLC for local playback though)

1 hour ago, Hiitchy said:

This is great. I always recommend VLC because they just threw every possible codec I could think of together into one media player and made it super easy.

Uhm, to be clear, VLC doesn't have 'every codec possible' in it.  It basically has ONE.  It has the open source Libavcodec from the FFMPEG project at it's heart and this is also in many OTHER places.  Even YouTube uses FFMPEG as it's backend. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

It took long enough. Going to see if hardware acceleration isn't broken on my Atom pc (works with everything but VLC).

Edit: Ok, I am legitimately pretty pleased with this release. The DXVA backend is still broken for me (instead of crashing, it produces heavy artifacts now), but the DX11 backend works flawless with the stuff I've tested. 1080P, low bit rate HEVC software decode is quite on the border for my Bay Trail device as well. I'll probably use this as my default player once more.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

except for MIDI unfortunately

I learn something new every day :P

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhm, to be clear, VLC doesn't have 'every codec possible' in it.  It basically has ONE.  It has the open source Libavcodec from the FFMPEG project at it's heart and this is also in many OTHER places.  Even YouTube uses FFMPEG as it's backend. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

Thank you for the correction, I completely forgot about that :P

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 hour ago, tjcater said:

Is Chromecast rendering working for anyone? Mine stays in a continuous loading state. For the time being it seems I'll need to stick to Xbox casting through Windows.  (I still use VLC for local playback though)

Not working for me either. Seems like it still needs work.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

It can't playback DVD or Blueray

If I had a dollar for every Bluray I owned that VLC could play, I'd have $1.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Time to stop using MPC-BE then...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

18 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If I had a dollar for every Bluray I owned that VLC could play, I'd have $1.

I did have some luck with older blu rays by using a .dll and a repository of decryption keys. I'd rather just eat the space costs, and rip the blu ray, and not deal with the drm. As AACS isn't truly broken however, there is no truly comprehensive solution for playing all Blu Ray discs outside official channels. 

12 years, and we still need to rely upon leaked keys to decrypt blu ray discs. I'm rather disconcerted that there isn't a true exploit found that can decrypt the discs without the private keys.

My eyes see the past…

16 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I did have some luck with older blu rays by using a .dll and a repository of decryption keys. I'd rather just eat the space costs, and rip the blu ray, and not deal with the drm. As AACS isn't truly broken however, there is no truly comprehensive solution for playing all Blu Ray discs outside official channels. 

12 years, and we still need to rely upon leaked keys to decrypt blu ray discs. I'm rather disconcerted that there isn't a true exploit found that can decrypt the discs without the private keys.

Too much work, would rather spend my time building AR15 uppers or digging around under my truck's hood.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

i haven't used VLC since i changed to windows 10, simply no need for it anymore with the installed player that came with it.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There's no perfect solution, but I've had great luck with AnyDVD HD.  Though, admittedly I don't have very many Blu-Ray discs.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Too much work, would rather spend my time building AR15 uppers or digging around under my truck's hood.

Jeez, you and my father would get along grandly.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

There's no perfect solution, but I've had great luck with AnyDVD HD.  Though, admittedly I don't have very many Blu-Ray discs.

I've picked up an external BD drive a few years ago when my anime blu ray set came in. It sees seldom use, though I'm very glad I picked it up when I do actually need it. I use MakeMKV. It would make no sense to buy AnyDVD just for ripping the (maybe) 3 or so blu rays I get a year.

My eyes see the past…

But does it solve the TONS of issues I’ve had with audio playback?

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Well I do not own any device capable of HDR playback so this doesnt affect me that much but that's cool

I still use AIMP for mp3 and FLAC playback, I mean you can't beat this a e s t h e t i c interface :

image.thumb.png.f80678be8634164aaf60aa22cf7ad6bc.png

nice, VLC getting even better :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Only me that don't use VLC?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking