144 hz over HDMI monitor

Drowli

From extensive research through multiple resources about monitors that are capable of 144 hz over hdmi (mostly from Glenwing). My GPU only has an hdmi output otherwise I would totally use dp or dvi. I have come to the conclusion that the Viewsonic XG2401 will work however I want to know if their newer version (Viewsonic XG2402 - released last September) is capable of handling 144 hz over hdmi. I haven't been able to find any info supporting this yet, I want to know since it will save me money. TYIA!

30 minutes ago, Drowli said:

From extensive research through multiple resources about monitors that are capable of 144 hz over hdmi (mostly from Glenwing). My GPU only has an hdmi output otherwise I would totally use dp or dvi. I have come to the conclusion that the Viewsonic XG2401 will work however I want to know if their newer version (Viewsonic XG2402 - released last September) is capable of handling 144 hz over hdmi. I haven't been able to find any info supporting this yet, I want to know since it will save me money. TYIA!

i know HDMI 2.0 supports 144hz not sure about HDMI 1.0 im pretty sure it doesnt 

AOC AGON AG241QX

i run this monitor at 1440p and 144Hz over a 15m HDMI cable (you need to take into consideration res and refresh and which standrad your devices use when deciding on what cable to use)

since i was using a long run DP wouldnt be suitable for my application

my old 20m dual link DVI cable didnt cut the mustard (it could do 75 Hz max) and i had to try several HDMI (prefered option as it is easier to get the cable head under the house and through the walls) cables until i found one that could do 144Hz

this page has a nice table and lots of info to help you

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

On 2/11/2018 at 3:10 PM, faecal storm said:

my old 20m dual link DVI cable didnt cut the mustard (it could do 75 Hz max) and i had to try several HDMI (prefered option as it is easier to get the cable head under the house and through the walls) cables until i found one that could do 144Hz

A 20-meter DVI cable? o.o

I bought the monitor but the max refresh rate I could get is 120 hz over hdmi (only output I have). Rip. If anyone knows how to get this to 144 I would appreciate it, otherwise imma just deal with it lol. I think my laptop has something to do with it...

Monitor - https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2402-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort/dp/B075D1B4SV

Laptop - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-Notebook-Review.154635.0.html

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

9 minutes ago, Drowli said:

I bought the monitor but the max refresh rate I could get is 120 hz over hdmi (only output I have). Rip. If anyone knows how to get this to 144 I would appreciate it, otherwise imma just deal with it lol. I think my laptop has something to do with it...

Monitor - https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2402-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort/dp/B075D1B4SV

Laptop - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-Notebook-Review.154635.0.html

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Did you try setting a custom resolution?

Yes, i get hit with the "the custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" message.

When I tried that, I was able to get the refresh rate up to 126, but if I try any higher then it hits me with the same message. Man I really appreciate the help though. :)

5 minutes ago, Drowli said:

When I tried that, I was able to get the refresh rate up to 126, but if I try any higher then it hits me with the same message. Man I really appreciate the help though. :)

No problem :) If you have any other HDMI cables laying around, you may want to try a few different ones to see if it makes any difference.

Just an update, I can get 144 hz as I lowered the resolution (thx to that timing change) so I made the compromise to go to 1792 x 1008 at 142 hz which doesnt bother me since I game at 1600 x 900 anyways. Thanks so much Glenwing you seriously are a true life saver! 

• 3 years later...
On 2/19/2018 at 4:20 AM, Drowli said:

Just an update, I can get 144 hz as I lowered the resolution (thx to that timing change) so I made the compromise to go to 1792 x 1008 at 142 hz which doesnt bother me since I game at 1600 x 900 anyways. Thanks so much Glenwing you seriously are a true life saver! 

i have the same problem can you tell me how to get 144hz please ?