Dear Toyota, Why Did You Make This Car a Camry?

Max_Settings
Just now, dalekphalm said:

The Camry the OP linked isn't exactly "lower-end". Sure it's not a $100K performance saloon, but it's solidly fully loaded mid-range full size sedan.

I think the Camry counts as a mid size sedan. It's bigger than something like the Civic or Corolla, but not as big as something like an Avalon or Ford Taurus.

Toyota are getting nicer and nicer.

>Auto

*pukes*

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

There's a lot more to a sport sedan than just how it looks. The most critical aspect is how it drives-- does it wilt or does it rise to the challenge when hustled? Are the brakes confidence inspiring? Does the suspension let you guide the car, or is it fighting you? Does the steering have life and response or is it dead and artificial? Does the traction and stability control go OFF or 'off', and either way, is the car communicative at or near its limits? Where are those limits? Etc etc etc. Looks are the least relevant aspect.

Previous Camrys have been as engaging to drive spiritedly as a wet noodle. I'll reserve judgement on this one until I get a chance to drive it, because it sure does look nice...but who am I kidding. FWD? No manual trans? Nope, no interest whatsoever.

[/sport sedan aficionado's opinion]

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

There's a lot more to a sport sedan than just how it looks. The most critical aspect is how it drives-- does it wilt or does it rise to the challenge when hustled? Are the brakes confidence inspiring? Does the suspension let you guide the car, or is it fighting you? Does the steering have life and response or is it dead and artificial? Does the traction and stability control go OFF or 'off', and either way, is the car communicative at or near its limits? Where are those limits? Etc etc etc. Looks are the least relevant aspect.

Previous Camrys have been as engaging to drive spiritedly as a wet noodle. I'll reserve judgement on this one until I get a chance to drive it, because it sure does look nice...but who am I kidding. No manual trans no interest.

I never said it was a true sports sedan, it just has the styling elements like the front diffuser, rear spoiler, and rear splitter. And then it had the power, 301 HP. But yeah I'm sure handling is garbage compared to an actual sports sedan.

13 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I think the Camry counts as a mid size sedan. It's bigger than something like the Civic or Corolla, but not as big as something like an Avalon or Ford Taurus.

Sure, marginally, but it's not a huge difference. I would put it borderline between mid-size and full size. Personally I quite like the look of the Venza, which is essentially an SUV built on the Camry platform w/ leftover parts lol. Slightly jank? Sure. But it's visually appealing to me in a clean way.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Max_Settings said:

I never said it was a true sports sedan, it just has the styling elements like the front diffuser, rear spoiler, and rear splitter. And then it had the power, 301 HP. But yeah I'm sure handling is garbage compared to an actual sports sedan.

Power doesn't make a sports sedan (or sports car) either-- see BRZ and Miata for gutless and slow yet insanely fun and grin-inducing cars.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Sure, marginally, but it's not a huge difference. I would put it borderline between mid-size and full size. Personally I quite like the look of the Venza, which is essentially an SUV built on the Camry platform w/ leftover parts lol. Slightly jank? Sure. But it's visually appealing to me in a clean way.

They don't make the Venza anymore.

Just now, bimmerman said:

Power doesn't make a sports sedan (or sports car) either-- see BRZ and Miata for gutless and slow yet insanely fun and grin-inducing cars.

I know, I'm just saying that is one aspect that it has. I know it's not a true sports sedan.

meanwhile, in the Philippines, Camry's are already considered a luxury car.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

They don't make the Venza anymore.

I know - it's sad. 2016 was the last year. Apparently it didn't sell very well.

Though that's not to say they won't revamp and re-release it later. Wouldn't be the first time they did that with an unsuccessful model.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

21 hours ago, Technicolors said:

i see more and more of the 2018 Camry on the road now. actually getting to like the whole face change.

i wonder about the notorious Camry dent though 

Yep, I already seen several of them.  The look really stands out so easy to spot them.

I think Toyota is in a whole revamp the looks of their vehicles mood at the moment.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

It's a good looking car, very aggressive.  I would probably opt for the new Accord though.  I don't like it as much looks wise but it's the better car platform wise.

5 minutes ago, ShredBird said:

It's a good looking car, very aggressive.  I would probably opt for the new Accord though.  I don't like it as much looks wise but it's the better car platform wise.

I hate the new Accord. Ugly and much slower. 192 HP compared to 301 HP

10 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I hate the new Accord. Ugly and much slower. 192 HP compared to 301 HP

You have the wrong numbers where are you getting 192?  The old V6 was about 290 HP and the new turbo inline 4 is in the 280s (It's a detuned K20C from the Type R).  Raw horsepower numbers does not a car make.  The new Accord creates max torque at a much lower RPM thanks to the turbo and it has a faster 0-60 time than the old model.

EDIT:  The hybrid accord has 192 HP inline 4.  The outgoing model used a 278 HP NA V6.  The new model has a 252 HP Turbo inline 4.  The new model is faster thanks to improved torque band.

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Ugly and much slower. 192 HP compared to 301 HP

Horsepower translates more into top speed, but alone is also nearly a meaningless metric. My 350HP Ram 2500 can't go faster than my 245HP Dakota, due to differences in the trannies and the weight of each vehicle. 130MPH for the 2500, 135MPH for the Dakota, provided one disabled the firmware limitation that wants to lock both at 99.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Horsepower translates more into top speed, but alone is also nearly a meaningless metric. My 350HP Ram 2500 can't go faster than my 245HP Dakota, due to differences in the trannies and the weight of each vehicle. 130MPH for the 2500, 135MPH for the Dakota, provided one disabled the firmware limitation that wants to lock both at 99.

Yep, it is a meaningless metric. Most of the time it's just peaky horsepower rather than continuous anyways. Yay for marketing. Torque is probably a more relevant metric for consumers because that's what gets you going from a standstill. That being said... the average joe wouldn't notice most of the time anyways. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

18 hours ago, ShredBird said:

You have the wrong numbers where are you getting 192?  The old V6 was about 290 HP and the new turbo inline 4 is in the 280s (It's a detuned K20C from the Type R).  Raw horsepower numbers does not a car make.  The new Accord creates max torque at a much lower RPM thanks to the turbo and it has a faster 0-60 time than the old model.

EDIT:  The hybrid accord has 192 HP inline 4.  The outgoing model used a 278 HP NA V6.  The new model has a 252 HP Turbo inline 4.  The new model is faster thanks to improved torque band.

V6 to me was better bc you could rev the nuts off of them and still make power. Turbo motors typically die up high in the rpm range. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

V6 to me was better bc you could rev the nuts off of them and still make power. Turbo motors typically die up high in the rpm range. 

The K20C has a pretty linear power band from 2500 to 6000 RPMs, plus VTEC, so from what I hear it's a screamer all the way to redline.