Laptop doesn't shut down completely

djdelarosa25

Hi there!

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7447. A few weeks ago, I noticed something strange. Whenever I would turn on my laptop, the battery indicator would show as charging, which is really weird since I never use my laptop unplugged from the outlet. I just unplug it every night for safety concerns (but the laptop is turned off).

I did some observations and found that after shutting it down, the exhaust vent would still blow out hot air, meaning that it wasn't COMPLETELY turned off.

I already tried disabling fast startup via Power Options in the Control Panel but the problem still persists. For now, there is a workaround - I have to hold down the power button for five seconds after the screen goes blank. However, being the OCD guy that I am (I freak out when something isn't normal with my gadgets), it continues to bug me. This has only started happening recently.

Please help and thank you in advance!

First this is spam  - you made the same thread yesterday.

Second why are you using this laptop plugged all the time? For how long you have been doing that ? Don't you think that with this abuse, more or less, you overheated/melted/destroyed components?  I understand if you have faulty battery but at least use it with no battery at all - it will be better since, if you have noticed, when charged batteries heat up, sometimes a lot.

As for why is it glowing as charging - easy af!

You say its still spinning the fan after shut down? - what does that mean? Answer it uses power from the battery! Which means? - Answer the battery is not gonna be at 100% and start charging when you plug it back again!

Also from the ModulesLFS post is clear that you haven't taken the time to even google your problem before posting here, twice...

32 minutes ago, komar said:

First this is spam  - you made the same thread yesterday.

Second why are you using this laptop plugged all the time? For how long you have been doing that ? Don't you think that with this abuse, more or less, you overheated/melted/destroyed components?  I understand if you have faulty battery but at least use it with no battery at all - it will be better since, if you have noticed, when charged batteries heat up, sometimes a lot.

As for why is it glowing as charging - easy af!

You say its still spinning the fan after shut down? - what does that mean? Answer it uses power from the battery! Which means? - Answer the battery is not gonna be at 100% and start charging when you plug it back again!

Also from the ModulesLFS post is clear that you haven't taken the time to even google your problem before posting here, twice...

You completely failed to see my point and just made random assumptions.

First, my laptop is freakin power hungry. Look it the TDP of my processor. This thing lasts an an hour or so outside of the charger.

Second, I play CS:GO on this thing. What kind of a doofus plays on a laptop on battery power?

Your "easy af" statement killed me. This issue did not exist before. Before, when I shut my system down, everything turns off, the fans, the HDD, etc. And whenever I would turn my system on, it wouldn't show as charging as no power was being wasted. Now, it the fans spin and blow out hot air until the laptop's battery goes to 0%, meaning that the thing is STILL RUNNING EVEN AFTER I SHUT IT DOWN. When I boot this thing up, the battery charges from 0%, meaning that the battery has been drained from the system RUNNING even though I already shut it down.

Fourth, no one in my previous thread provided concrete answers. That is why I deleted it and started a new one. And btw, do you even know what spam is?

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? Use your brain next time

Do you fold the display lid or leave it open? Ive had problems with laptops when shutting down and closing th lid they would never actually turn off, so when shutting down a laptop it is important to not close the display.

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

Do you fold the display lid or leave it open? Ive had problems with laptops when shutting down and closing th lid they would never actually turn off, so when shutting down a laptop it is important to not close the display.

Tried with both the lid open and closed, same results. Also tried it plugged in and out, still, the problem is there.

Just now, djdelarosa25 said:

Tried with both the lid open and closed, same results. Also tried it plugged in and out, still, the problem is there.

Alright, try the @ModuleLFS fixes and see if they help.

@ModuleLFS, I just tried the fixes in the link that you sent me. So far, it's been working. I will be reporting in a few days time if the problem returns. Who would have thought that it had something to do with the graphics drivers? LOL

Thanks a lot, man! :)