A google game console codenamed "Yeti" could take on mainstream consoles

Source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3253900/consumer-electronics/yeti-google-game-console-streaming-service.html

Codenamed "Yeti", these rumors suggest that google is taking on the gaming by developing their own game console. Its said to be a cloud based gaming service and home console which allows users to play games, directly from remote servers. A game console made by google could possibly be a big deal in the console market.

Running Games offline:

Here’s the problem with cloud gaming services in general: None of them provide enough incentive to give up playing games natively. Sure, the hardware can be less powerful—and therefore cheaper—but the downsides are higher latency and potential reliability problems. For the vast majority of people who want to play console-quality games, those are unacceptable trade-offs.

Use cloud gaming as a supplement:

Nvidia is on the right track with its GeForce now experience for PC and Mac, which turns any lightweight computer into a portal to users’ existing PC games on Steam or other PC services. Google could build something similar around its game console, allowing cloud access to any game that users have purchased locally.

Rethink multiplayer:

Like it or not, games are services now, which means any Google gaming effort will be dead on arrival without multiplayer. This is a chance for Google to leverage its existing services and reimagine how online gaming ought to work. Perhaps you could use Google Assistant to schedule online play sessions, or to find other players who are physically nearby. (The latter is a popular request among Xbox Live users.) Maybe a service like Allo could allow text chat across any device, while Google Hangouts could allow on-screen video chat with friends.

Overview:

To be honest, the odds seem long for most of these things. The more likely scenario is that Google will release a lightweight Android TV box with some supplemental gaming features, much like the Nexus player that launched in 2014. (There was talk of building “a video game console” in the lead-up to that launch as well.) The result will be underwhelming, Google’s commitment to gaming will waver, and anyone who’s skittish about investing in a game library that exists only on remote servers will wisely stay away.

Well, the way I see it, is a Android TV streaming box with gaming capabilities built into it. What I mean by this is its just a normal streaming service like the apple tv and roku, instead with gaming capabilities added to make it more competitive with other streaming services. I mean, it sounds like a good concept for consumers, but of course there are going to be limitations in the gaming segment (like you cant play a specific game that is only available on Xbox). To be honest, you might as well just buy a fully fledged console that has these functionalities (well maybe not all of the functionalities of the yeti), but something with the basic functionalities of a streaming/gaming device and then buy a chrome cast which has all of functionalities of a google device. But then again, if you were a consumer who wanted a basic UI to navigate through streaming apps and play the occasional android game, I think this device is good for those consumers. To me, its a good idea, but in a way, it looks good in terms of all of the built in functionality it has for a streaming/gaming device.

It will be good if its an extra, like the App Store on Apple TVs (I imagine its competing with that, following Apple's lead).

I don't think there is room for Google to enter the console space when Xbox, PS and Nitendo have a lot covered and have cemented themselves in the market. It will probably run an ARM processor which means most titles like CoD etc won't be able to run - which means pretty much its an Android box :(.

Oh boy, another competitor in an already crowded market who knows nothing about the industry and has nothing of any real value to offer.

Just what gaming needs.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I can't read black on black, remove formatting please?

Also no console is really worth considering outside of Nintendo and maybe PS4.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh boy, another competitor in an already crowded market who knows nothing about the industry and has nothing of any real value to offer.

Just what gaming needs.

What, you don't want another kind of Nintendo but with Google+ as the service? That sounds like a fabulous idea to me. /s

DOA

Google would have better chances if they opened up a game dev/publishing division if they want to enter the console/gaming market. There is no money to be made in the hardware front at this point, and streaming is too far ahead in in time if you consider how stuck up US ISPs are currently and for the foreseeable future.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

who knows nothing about the industry

Well tbf most of the guys in the industry have no clue what they are doing either, or at the bear minimum they are shortsighted and on a course of self destruction.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

What happens to this console when Google shuts down their servers? We can still enjoy our old 80s and 90s consoles today. I doubt you can say the same about this one in 20years?

They're not trying to directly compete, but compete by other methods. Before its launch, many wrote off the Switch's inferior specs against the PS4 and whatever the Xbox thing is these days, but that didn't matter. It offered something new. That's the key to success here. It has to be as easy to use as any other game console, and perform as well. Not everyone is dropping multiple 4 figure sums on a PCMR box, but if you could get that experience with a streaming box, it could open up higher end gaming to those who otherwise wouldn't consider it due to hardware costs. It doesn't have to replicate anything, it just needs to do what it aims to do well.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

What happens to this console when Google shuts down their servers? We can still enjoy our old 80s and 90s consoles today. I doubt you can say the same about this one in 20years?

Did you buy a console in the 80's thinking you'll have retro fun with it in 2020? You gain most of the value early on. Anything after that is a bonus.

I got a Dreamcast at the time just for House of the Dead 2. Light guns for it only work on CRT TVs, so technology has already moved on to prevent me from using that. Rather than look back, I'm looking forwards. I have VR offering me what could only be dreamt of even a decade ago. I don't expect the current incarnation of VR to last forever either, but whatever will replace it will certainly be interesting.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Looks fine to me, revenge of the normal theme users xD

Reveal hidden contents

Fixed it

Come on @leadeater, it's the 21st Century. It's not cool unless it's in night theme.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

You need high speed internet, have to deal with latency, and don't own the game or actual machine that runs the game.

Even with highspeed internet, the video quality is SH!T I tried the Playstation streaming thing, and cancelled it the first day. The quality is just garbage. Doesn't replace local use.

Yes, streaming gaming, sure. Will they provide fiber optic to my home, no? Well then. Subscription too I'm sure will be expensive. Either way wouldn't want it. Just better to own a pc by far though. So meh. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Just what gaming needs.

I mean... That's literally how Sony and Microsoft got started.

Sony: "FUCK THOSE NINTENDO FUCKS!  They think they can snub our deal ON STAGE at E3 and announce a partnership with Phillips!?  You! Ken Kuturagi!  Strap this MIPS processor to a CD ROM drive and go kill Nintendo with it!"

Microsoft: "We don't just want to be on the desktop, we want to be in the living room.  We need some kind of Living room Box that runs DirectX.. A DirectX Box if you will.. X...Box... But we'll need billions of dollars to force our way into the market, where are we going to get billions of dollars!?  Wait, we HAVE billion's of dollars!  BWA HA HA HA! :D"

(Fun fact, Microsoft lost five BILLION dollars on the classic Xbox from 2001 and that was basically part of the PLAN just to get their toe in the door.)

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

You need high speed internet, have to deal with latency, and don't own the game or actual machine that runs the game.

Yeah but if you think about it, that's already the way people are watching their movies nowadays.

Of course with games it's a little different because a bad internet connection will be more noticeable.

so, a glorified android box that can run some bad games.

Gee, thanks Google. We didn't have enough of those

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

lets hope this doesn't become another one of THOSE android gaming consoles

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

I mean... That's literally how Sony and Microsoft got started.

Sony: "FUCK THOSE NINTENDO FUCKS!  They think they can snub our deal ON STAGE at E3 and announce a partnership with Phillips!?  You! Ken Kuturagi!  Strap this MIPS processor to a CD ROM drive and go kill Nintendo with it!"

Microsoft: "We don't just want to be on the desktop, we want to be in the living room.  We need some kind of Living room Box that runs DirectX.. A DirectX Box if you will.. X...Box... But we'll need billions of dollars to force our way into the market, where are we going to get billions of dollars!?  Wait, we HAVE billion's of dollars!  BWA HA HA HA! :D"

(Fun fact, Microsoft lost five BILLION dollars on the classic Xbox from 2001 and that was basically part of the PLAN just to get their toe in the door.)

If anyone can afford 5 billion it's Google, possibly Apple.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If anyone can afford 5 billion it's Google, possibly Apple.

And that was just the five billion dollars that Microsoft willingly lost on the Xbox Project just as part of their long term plans.  Then you have to factor in the Xbox 360 'Red Ring Of Death' which was NOT planned and cost about another billion.  Though RROD asside, the Xbox 360 was a big success in terms of getting Microsoft into your living room.

Until there's much better internet service I don't see cloud gaming becoming a thing. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB