Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gas_Mask_

SD Slowdown/Immediate Degredation?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have two SanDisk SD cards that have recently slowed down in write speed considerable. I shoot with a Canon 70D, photos and video. It started with one, then the other followed shortly: slowing down to the point that my camera's cache fills up and the amount of burst shots I can take about halves, and videos stop recording after a minute or two due to cache overflow.

They worked fine for months, and then one did this a couple months ago, with the other starting to get bad last week.  One is a SanDisk Ultra 64gb, the other SanDisk Ultra PLUS 32gb (from what I've read they're about identical; they look almost the same too).

I had kept photos and videos on them for months at a time before offloading and formatting periodically. Could that have been a contributing factor somehow? I figure these are pretty much bad, and have already accepted that they'll only be used for picture taking in the future. But I wanted to know if there was anything else I might try to restore them (I've tried reformatting them in every way imaginable, trying all different cluster sizes, complete overwrites, and even resorted to trying the official SD Formatter utility. If there's no hope, if anyone could offer an idea of what might have caused this so it could be avoided in the future that would be much appreciated.

--Gas_Mask_

*bump*

I use Magic Lantern as well. I've never abused the cards, they've been strictly for photo/video work. When I ran some speed benchmarks with ML the card that went bad first was 10 to 20 MB/s slower, now they're both like that.

No constant reads/writes, no stress tests, I haven't "pushed" these cards in any irregular way. Again, like I said earlier, I did leave data on them for months at a time in multiple stints. I realize all flash memory degrades eventually, but one shouldn't see something this drastic within the normal lifespan of a card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

--Gas_Mask_

*bump*

I know that most companies shamelessly use recycled and mismatched flash chips, so maybe that has something to do with it? Or could it be just enough bad sectors?

--Gas_Mask_