Multiple Netgear Router vulnerabilities discovered, might want to update your firmware.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/09/netgear_security_patches/

I'm surprised no one has posted about this, yet.

If you're using a Netgear router at home, it's time to get patching. The networking hardware maker has just released a tsunami of patches for a couple of dozen models of its kit.

The flaws were found by Martin Rakhmanov at infosec shop Trustwave, which has spent over a year hunting down programming gremlins in Netgear's firmware.

A group called Trustwave have been researching vulnerabilities in Netgear routers for the past year, and they've found several of them.  Multiple models are affected by various issues, ranging from password bypasses to the ability to run code with root access.

Some 17 Netgear routers have a remote authentication bypass. This means malware or miscreants that are on your network, or anyone else able to reach the device's web-based configuration interface, can gain control without having to provide a password. Just stick &genie=1 in the URL, and bingo.

Another 17 Netgear routers – with some crossover with the above issue – have a similar bug, in that the genie_restoring.cgi script, provided by the box's built-in web server, can be abused to extract files and passwords from its filesystem in flash storage – it can even be used to pull files from USB sticks plugged into the router.

Other models have less severe problems that still need patching just in case. For example, after pressing the Wi-Fi Protected Setup button, six of Netgear's routers open up a two-minute window during which an attacker can potentially execute arbitrary code on the router as root over the air.

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't have known I HAD an updated firmware for mine if not.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

My 10 year old router will probably get no update again.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Since I installed DD-WRT on mine, I'm assuming that I'm safe from any of these "netgear exclusive" vulnerabilities?
That and because it's old by now so I wouldn't expect an official update for it anyway.

Edit : Went and checked, I stand corrected, they literally released a firmware for it last week,"02/03/2018", wasn't expecting that. Some other companies would've just gave us the middle finger for such an old product, no longer being sold and way out of warranty by now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Since I installed DD-WRT on mine, I'm assuming that I'm safe from any of these "netgear exclusive" vulnerabilities?

Correct, this only applies to the original firmwares from Netgear.  Third party firmware wouldn't be affected.

Between the delay/lack of communication for mitigating KRACK, and now this, I'll definitely be going Ubiquiti in the future.

I use Google Wifi in my home, so i'm good.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15