Matias' P2 - Dan A4-sfx v1 build and case mod

Not bad for a temporary solution :)

I'll try your idea later :) IMG_0646.jpg.675e769fe6059f88c1a5d1e0c19d307a.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg.4afd056896a68bf092c12cef11f56f84.jpg

9 minutes ago, Selder said:

Not bad for a temporary solution :)

I'll try your idea later :) IMG_0646.jpg.675e769fe6059f88c1a5d1e0c19d307a.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg.4afd056896a68bf092c12cef11f56f84.jpg

You're right... That's actually suprisingly clean for a temporary solution...Are those metal rods or just painted chopsticks? Can you please tell me, did you have to buy the screws for moutning the noctua fan to the AIO or did they come with the fan or the AIO?

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

The screws that came with the AIO are too long, using them will leave a too big gap between the fan and the radiator.  I used these screws: DIN912 M3X20 Black (the ones on the right, the left ones are too short.

IMG_0534.thumb.jpg.bdf44e9f6ae21fe63c996b55fab43e71.jpg

1 minute ago, Selder said:

The screws that came with the AIO are too long, using them will leave a too big gap between the fan and the radiator.  I used these screws: DIN912 M3X20 Black (the ones on the right, the left ones are too short.

IMG_0534.thumb.jpg.bdf44e9f6ae21fe63c996b55fab43e71.jpg

Ok, so the AIO came with screws? If it did, great! I'll just cut them down... thanks very much for your time, also!

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

No problem, happy to help :) 

and yes, aluminium 2mm rods, I have sawn them to the correct length, now I only need to find a way to attach them, I’m thinking with a very short M2 screw, or a plastic cap 

On 13/2/2018 at 10:54 AM, DJ46 said:

What made you switch to the A4 from your custom case? It looked really good.

Also, great work on those mods! I love SFF rigs and fitting custom cable covers and panels into an A4 is something I never thought I'd see.

Well, some things you can't see on pictures, but is was wobbily and really just not of any particular quality and then there were all of the small things like the front being the worst fingerprint magnet I've ever experienced and the I/O Shield sitting a bit too much to the left so some of the usb ports weren't accesible, and then I saw the Dan A4-sfx on the Danish equivalent of craigslist for a reasonable price and then I just decided after a nice couple of days of dialog between the seller and I to buy it... Thanks tho! I think the panels look super clean myself! ;)

On 13/2/2018 at 12:46 PM, Alikhanizadeh said:

Love how clean it looks now. The panels you added really make a difference. 

Thanks to you too!

15 minutes ago, Selder said:

No problem, happy to help :) 

and yes, aluminium 2mm rods, I have sawn them to the correct length, now I only need to find a way to attach them, I’m thinking with a very short M2 screw, or a plastic cap 

Well, if you have access to a 3d printer you could print some brackets with 2 mm holes in them and secure them the the top with the alu rods only being the length from the top to the bottom of the fan as it sits now. If you don't have access to a 3d printer, you can also just make some youself... Could make a CAD model for you if you want as a thank you for the help!

That’s a great plan! Only measuring those things will be very difficult, but I’ll give it a try. There are a lot of commercial 3D printing companies here that let you upload STL files, so that’s no problem.

1 hour ago, Selder said:

That’s a great plan! Only measuring those things will be very difficult, but I’ll give it a try. There are a lot of commercial 3D printing companies here that let you upload STL files, so that’s no problem.

Well if you have a Cad program, you can just download a model of the a4... That's what I did while planning this build!

I didn't know you could download a model of the A4-SFX?  Where did you get it from?

I'd like to create my own plexi-glass for the window kit, but I'll need a DWG or DXF file of the plexi, I'm trying to get in touch with Dan, but so far he hasn't replied to any comment on any forum or replied to e-mail, I don't think he'll ever send those files...

3 hours ago, Selder said:

I didn't know you could download a model of the A4-SFX?  Where did you get it from?

I'd like to create my own plexi-glass for the window kit, but I'll need a DWG or DXF file of the plexi, I'm trying to get in touch with Dan, but so far he hasn't replied to any comment on any forum or replied to e-mail, I don't think he'll ever send those files...

Well, I just searched up "Dan a4-sfx CAD" and some guy out there had made a model!

https://grabcad.com/library/a4-sfx-1

It isn't perfect, but it's close enough to be pretty damn useful! I'd advice that you check the measurements before trusting it! I havn't... Btw, if you're new to CAD, I can whole heartely recommend Autodesk fusion 360! It's free for hobbyists...

Oh btw, @Selder do you think that I could make this USB port fit with the with the Asetek 545lc installed? If I end up using it, I'm probably going to trim off that sticking out piece of plastic so I can bend the cable even tighter... And also, I just measured the a4-sfx model. It's not the right measurements... :(

IMG_20180215_123333__01.jpg

mmmmm... difficult to say but I'm leaning towards "that'll fit".  Or we'll have to wait for v3, it'll have a new rizer (all black!) and an updated USB mount that is compatible with the Asetek.

8 minutes ago, Selder said:

mmmmm... difficult to say but I'm leaning towards "that'll fit".  Or we'll have to wait for v3, it'll have a new rizer (all black!) and an updated USB mount that is compatible with the Asetek.

We'll see I guess... If it does fit, that would be pretty slick... I don't think that I'm going to be paying that much money for a new version of the same case tho, so modding It'll be! ?

That's why I left my current v2 as original as possible, and have handled it with the most care to keep the resell value as high as possible.

Also, I have a Louqe Ghost S1 incoming somewhere after April ;) 

Just now, Selder said:

That's why I left my current v2 as original as possible, and have handled it with the most care to keep the resell value as high as possible.

Also, I have a Louqe Ghost S1 incoming somewhere after April ;) 

Uuh nice! I'm really looking forward to seeing the S1 builds once they start popping up around the forums! On the danish used market, things like the Dan A4 are really rare, so if the modifications are well done and not too many, it will basically sell for a price close to MSRP... I bought mine for 1700 dkk (over MSRP) because it isn't in stock on sfflab and you have to pay about 1700 dkk in the end if you buy it from new because of the super high danish tax and such anyway... I once sold a GTX 980 ti to a guy and that card was modded to the moon and back, but I managed to sell it for the same price as all other un-modded gtx 980 ti's...

UPDATE:

Just bought a Samsung 950 pro 512 gb and an EK m.2 cooler in black! Really looking forward to getting that! :)

My cable sleeving just arrived, so I got right to it! It has already cost me blod, but so far so good!

0_IMG_20180220_165040__01.jpg

0_IMG_20180220_165906.jpg

0_IMG_20180220_165708.jpg

0_IMG_20180220_170007.jpg

0_IMG_20180220_194404.jpg

0_IMG_20180221_201427.jpg

Done! :)

IMG_20180222_194713__01__01.thumb.jpg.1c34e9bb8ee30bcae36c39737e52d9f5.jpg

And also, my "new" m.2 SSD arrived!

IMG_20180222_202451_01__01.thumb.jpg.e7ba91f7aadf930e1305ded802f9a5aa.jpg

Hup hup, clear your appointments for today and get building :)

I've updated the cooling solution for my M.2 SSD, see here: 

8 hours ago, Selder said:

Hup hup, clear your appointments for today and get building :)

I've updated the cooling solution for my M.2 SSD, see here: 

Will do! And wow... Uhm... Innovative! Well done I must say!

Sneakpeak ;)

IMG_20180223_204044.jpg

IMG_20180223_204115.jpg

IMG_20180223_204536__01.jpg

Just modded the intel stock cooler with a Noctua fan... Hope the Asetek 545lc arrives soon! And oh yeah, I'm not really sure what I managed to do there on the bottom... Seems to work tho!

0_IMG_20180224_145738.jpg

0_IMG_20180224_145939.jpg

0_IMG_20180224_150019.jpg

0_IMG_20180224_154155.jpg

0_IMG_20180224_154127.jpg

IMG_20180225_084632__01.jpg

Haha, those zipties, I wouldn't attach them to the PCI Riser, that thing breaks easily...