Doubts regarding platform change

So, sorry if i'm making too many threads (like 3 in the past 2 weeks) but after deciding what i'm going to buy, i have a couple of questions.

After changing my cpu, motherboard and ram, is the system just gonna boot up normally? should i update the bios? Do i install drivers manually or do they update automatically? Do i need to configure anything from the bios beforehand? Anything else i should expect? Thanks in advance

CPU: Core i3 8100 @ 3,6GHz 

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B360M-DS3H

RAM: 8GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 2400mHz

Storage: 2TB WD 7200RPM HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Case: Deepcool Dukase V3

PSU: Corsair CX450

Keyboard: Cougar Core

Mouse: Logitech G502

Headset: HyperX Cloud Stinger

How drastic of a change is this? RAM can be swapped in or out with no problems caused. CPUs generally can too. Where things get hairy is the motherboard. Sometimes you can just drop a new board in and it works right away, others it refuses to work and you have to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. I like to do drive wipes and reinstalls anyway to clean up the leftover drivers from the old board, but plenty here never do and Windows figures the drivers out for itself.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

If you're doing a platform change, you should always do a clean install of Windows. It'll save a lot of hassle and headache. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

If you're doing a platform change, you should always do a clean install of Windows. It'll save a lot of hassle and headache. 

Wiping the drive is a total headache. I have around a terabyte of games to download on a 3mb/s connection. I did see an option the other day that was to clean install windows without losing any of my files, which is how i actually upgraded from win7 to win10 and kept every single game/file. Btw, what would happen if i don't clean install?

1 minute ago, Askingcarpet said:

Btw, what would happen if i don't clean install?

Don't know. It may work fine, it may implode upon itself and fail to boot ever again, you never really know. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Askingcarpet said:

Btw, what would happen if i don't clean install?

drivers can get pretty messy, especially a board swap and things may not work quite right.

or nothing could go wrong.  you never know.

the main problem is that it may cause issues later on, that you wont be able to diagnose very easily. its generally the cause of the "weird issues" that people sometimes have that end up being fixed by a clean install.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 minutes ago, Askingcarpet said:

Wiping the drive is a total headache. I have around a terabyte of games to download on a 3mb/s connection. I did see an option the other day that was to clean install windows without losing any of my files, which is how i actually upgraded from win7 to win10 and kept every single game/file. Btw, what would happen if i don't clean install?

partiton the drive put your games on the partition and wipe only the windows install 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

7 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

partiton the drive put your games on the partition and wipe only the windows install 

Again, isn't it possible to clean install without losing personal files? I remember doing just that while first installing, but i don't really know how to do it

47 minutes ago, Askingcarpet said:

So, sorry if i'm making too many threads (like 3 in the past 2 weeks) but after deciding what i'm going to buy, i have a couple of questions.

1. After changing my cpu, motherboard and ram, is the system just gonna boot up normally?
  2. should i update the bios?
  3. Do i install drivers manually or do they update automatically?
  4. Do i need to configure anything from the bios beforehand?
  5. Anything else i should expect?

Thanks in advance

1. possibly, depends on what platform you have currently and what you are going to.
  2. kinda big debate, but i always keep the BIOS/UEFI up-to-date with no ills.
  3. use the manufacturers drivers. OS drivers can be generic and cause issues thought to be hardware rather than generic drivers.
  4. usually on first boot (UEFI) using the default settings and setting drive preference is easy enough.
  5. prolly, but lots of unknowns right now.
24 minutes ago, Askingcarpet said:

Again, isn't it possible to clean install without losing personal files? I remember doing just that while first installing, but i don't really know how to do it

nope, best to use another (new/use) HDD and use the original as a backup (old files). too easy to mess up the install and unforgettably format/partition old drive and lose all your written data.

17 hours ago, airdeano said:
  1. possibly, depends on what platform you have currently and what you are going to.
  2. kinda big debate, but i always keep the BIOS/UEFI up-to-date with no ills.
  3. use the manufacturers drivers. OS drivers can be generic and cause issues thought to be hardware rather than generic drivers.
  4. usually on first boot (UEFI) using the default settings and setting drive preference is easy enough.
  5. prolly, but lots of unknowns right now.

nope, best to use another (new/use) HDD and use the original as a backup (old files). too easy to mess up the install and unforgettably format/partition old drive and lose all your written data.

I literally don't have any other hdd i could use and i would have to buy a new 2tb drive just for that which i'm definitely not doing because i can't afford to.