Russian nuclear scientists arrested for attempting to mine on a supercomputer

Ginger_
2 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Millions of dollars worth of CPU or GPU won't match an ASIC miner

What if he tried to mine the national currency of ethereum? Or any other asic resistant coins.

Thy may be scientist but that aren't smart tech wise

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

What if he tried to mine the national currency of ethereum? Or any other asic resistant coins.

wouldn't matter its a super computer and meant to be off the net at all times to prevent spying by other governments and that was a strict violation of that rule

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, Name Taken said:

Maybe Monero but that's dominated by botnets already.

It's still profitable, and depending on what hardware built this supercomputer could be super profitable. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Well at least nothing blew up...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The suspects had tried to use one of Russia's most powerful supercomputers to mine Bitcoins

but can it run Assassin's Creed: Origins?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I would be tempted to do this, not for the money but to just see what kind of hash rate it would get.

one of my teachers got to be the maintnance guy of a HUGE server bunker around where i live and just started mining, he was one of the biggest miners in the world in whatever alt coin that was and just dumped it all in his wallet. thousands of graphics cards, processor cores and so on mining away and all that went right into his wallet lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Millions of dollars worth of CPU or GPU won't match an ASIC miner.

Not necessarily, lots of crypto-currencies are ASIC resistant, so they can only be mined from a GPU or CPU.  Despite what the the artificial said I doubt they were mining bitcoin specifically.  More likely there were mining an ASIC resistant coin.

I wonder if North Korea's super computers for ballistic missile and nuclear weapons has been side lined to crypto currency mine to support these projects in the future.  

47 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Thy may be scientist but that aren't smart tech wise

They're smart tech wise, they're just not very astute

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If you are an employee and mining crypto on the supercomputer you are not paying for, if it generates a little, the employee comes out ahead despite the risk and expense to others, which includes Russian Tax payers.

I'm interested in knowing how the hell he managed to do it at all

1) Super computer designed for running a nuclear facility, not exactly going to be running Ubuntu.

2) Super computer designed to never connect to the internet so very likely to have no TCP/IP stack present in the kernel at all.

3) Super computer running a nuclear facility and they're telling us the dude was just able to take it offline and take control of its processors?

This story has more holes than a mobsters car, I wonder if the scientists weren't doing something a little more shady and this is just a believable cover story.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

1) Super computer designed for running a nuclear facility, not exactly going to be running Ubuntu.

2) Super computer designed to never connect to the internet so very likely to have no TCP/IP stack present in the kernel at all.

3) Super computer running a nuclear facility and they're telling us the dude was just able to take it offline and take control of its processors?

This story has more holes than a mobsters car, I wonder if the scientists weren't doing something a little more shady and this is just a believable cover story.

I thought about that too, and apparently most run Linux, and are variously stripped out and added on. With that it wouldn't be too hard to add the right protocols to connect to the internet, and who knows how far they got at achieving mining off of it, from the art ie it sounds like they were caught shortly after they connected to the internet. It does seem like they would have to add to any miner program to actually use all of the distributed cores so I doubt they actually did any mining, although really it depends on the OS the computer is running

https://www.google.com/amp/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/almost-all-the-worlds-fastest-supercomputers-run-linux/

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yea, this story sounds way too stupid to be true. This is coming out of Russia govt approved media so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

But can it run the Final Fantasy XV?

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Hah mine them all fast xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |