Nvidia Rumour: GTX 2080 & 2070 using Ampere (GA104) and will launch in April, GP102 is EOL

Master Disaster
On 2018/2/13 at 8:22 PM, VegetableStu said:

so now there's...

where did reuters get that? (don't get me wrong, I love that Turing is getting a spot in Nvidia's naming scheme)

possibly in a conference or something like that. :/

Wouldn't it be 1180 instead of 2080?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

12 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Wouldn't it be 1180 instead of 2080?

theyll call it whatever they feel like everyones just guessing what they think it will be called.  Could be GTX anything or not even include GTX

On 14-2-2018 at 7:01 AM, DoctorWho1975 said:

Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!

GTX9000!!!!! FTW!

The price to pay for? Over 9000 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Honestly can't wait till the miners hike up the prices on these ones, excited to pay £500 for a non-ref GTX 2060 with a sticker bundled on

13 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

Honestly can't wait till the miners hike up the prices on these ones, excited to pay £500 for a non-ref GTX 2060 with a sticker bundled on

Image result for office no gif

even though it's 100% going to happen.

I want my damn upgrade at msrp.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

On 2/14/2018 at 5:41 PM, YamiYukiSenpai said:

11080?

GTX eleven hundred and eighty?

Eleventy *

That's an F in the profile pic

Considering the crazy pricing in GPUs could it possibly be worth it to pre-order a founders card? If you can actually get it at MSRP it might be worth it.... I really don’t like spending that kind of money without the reviews or getting the trash cooler but hell, WHEN miners go crazy for it will be sold out/way above MSRP anyway for the board partners...

Expect prices of the new cards to be a bit higher than current tier prices, no competition, the increased cost in ram, its going to happen, they will go up around 50 bucks a tier.  nV is going to ensure they keep their margins, and there AIB's are going to charge more for the increased cost of the vram.

GP102 and 104 are all EOL, not just the GP102.

This next gen chip is based off of Volta, just SMX counts, cache amounts per SMX, cores per SMX are different hence the different code name.  Of course DP units and Tensor cores are reduced/gone too.

At the moment Volta is not great at mining, its ok, just above Pascal, this mainly has to do with mining software though so until that software is updated to CUDA 9 and optimized for it mining won't be a big issue with supply.

What we see in Eth mining hash rates which is very much higher even on the current mining software, I don't think that will come across to next gen mining cards because of the use of GDDR6, GDDR6 specs show its latency is around GDDR5x so Eth mining is going to be limited by that latency amount.  While doing compute tasks its very hard to hide memory latency in memory bound scenarios.  Compression doesn't work on these compute tasks to alleviate the memory bandwidth bottleneck. I expect top end next gen graphics cards to do a bit better than the 1080ti or Titan Xp but not much higher.  The kicker here is though, I do expect while doing the same hashrates its power consumption is going to be half that today's cards at stock.  But I don't know or do I expect them to get half the power consumption compared to undervolted and power limited Pascal cards....  maybe a bit lower on the power consumption but not much (I could be a completely wrong here too on being around an undervolted, power limited Pascal power consumption, it will definitely be lower just by how much, don't know enough about the 12nm node or if its even using that node nor the GPU architecture yet to make draw a good conclusion)

Once mining software for the other Alt coins are updated though, expect those coins to mine like a mother F'er, they are not memory bound, just pure compute horsepower.  Volta did show this it can push hash rates on those coins from 50% to 100% higher than a 1080ti ion usable mining software.  Good thing is though that is a limited market, setting up those miners is a bit harder, and price fluctuations on those coins are crazy.  Nicehash doesn't work with Volta yet, as its miner, excavator is built on a lower version of CUDA than what Volta supports.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:25 AM, Almostbauws said:

Isn't it supposed to be called gtx 1180 and 1170 or am i missing something?

Personally, I think we have gotten a little complacent and NVidia should really change things up. Something really arcane like:

1180 should be L12iEX

1180TI should be L12i

1170 should be 927cEX

1170TI should be 927c (by now you should have noticed that the NON-TI cards have the EX suffix).

Additionally, the Titan should be renamed Fred.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

26 minutes ago, gcubed said:

Personally, I think we have gotten a little complacent and NVidia should really change things up. Something really arcane like:

1180 should be L12iEX

1180TI should be L12i

1170 should be 927cEX

1170TI should be 927c (by now you should have noticed that the NON-TI cards have the EX suffix).

Additionally, the Titan should be renamed Fred.

Your profile picture really goes well with your naming scheme. It seems that this is how you came up with those names,