Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boyborg690

GTX 1050 Ti and GT 710 Combo

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have a GTX 1050 Ti in my PC, along with an i5 and an open PCIe 1x slot. It's 2.0 of course. I'm planning on buying a GT710 from Zotac to fill up that slot for a VGA port. I have an ancient monitor which I would love to put Task Manager or something up there along with something to monitor thermals while I'm gaming. I've already used up all 3 of my ports on the 1050 Ti and it's driving me mad to watch a Youtube video half sized with my Task Manager sitting there. So if I were to buy the card, how would I go about setting it up for that?


I have a problem with people. The only things I like are 787Bs and PCs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't you use the iGPU of your i5? You can enable it in the BIOS and use the monitor outputs from your motherboard. Doesn't cost you anything (maybe an adapter) and will work just fine.


If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Why don't you use the iGPU of your i5? You can enable it in the BIOS and use the monitor outputs from your motherboard. Doesn't cost you anything (maybe an adapter) and will work just fine.

The reason being, is because my iGPU doesn't output VGA. My ONLY monitor I have sitting around is a 4:3 VGA monitor. I also forgot to mention that it's a DVI-D and the adapters cost more than the GT 710 at my local store.


I have a problem with people. The only things I like are 787Bs and PCs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boyborg690 said:

My ONLY monitor I have sitting around is a 4:3 VGA monitor.

you could run to a local goodwill and get a digital monitor for a few bucks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boyborg690 said:

The reason being, is because my iGPU doesn't output VGA. My ONLY monitor I have sitting around is a 4:3 VGA monitor.

An active DP/HDMI to VGA adapter will be cheaper than a GT710, that's for sure.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rankie-Gold-Plated-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00ZMV7RL2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518125771&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+vga

https://www.amazon.ca/Rankie-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00Z08TZNU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518125751&sr=8-3&keywords=displayport+vga&dpID=41AlxO%2B8lQL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

 

You can't buy a GT710 for that money :P


If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Because I'm stubborn, I'm still set on a GT710. I know, you may be facepalming or something along the lines of that but I have problems with that. Our local goodwill sends all of the PC related things to the recycling depot. It sucks ass because they don't let us take cool stuff. I saw a 486 PC with a 5.25 inch floppy being taken and thrown into the scrap pile. My HDMI port doesn't work on my mobo after a clumsy family member ripped out the HDMI port while I was playing F-Zero on my emulator.


I have a problem with people. The only things I like are 787Bs and PCs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Boyborg690 said:

So I have a GTX 1050 Ti in my PC, along with an i5 and an open PCIe 1x slot. It's 2.0 of course. I'm planning on buying a GT710 from Zotac to fill up that slot for a VGA port. I have an ancient monitor which I would love to put Task Manager or something up there along with something to monitor thermals while I'm gaming. I've already used up all 3 of my ports on the 1050 Ti and it's driving me mad to watch a Youtube video half sized with my Task Manager sitting there. So if I were to buy the card, how would I go about setting it up for that?

Going on the given responses, lets completely ignore your other options and strictly go with the GT710. Simply put: should be pretty straight forward with 1 cavait. As far as I am aware, most GPU's are HHFL or bigger (Half Height Full Length), meaning they take a 16x slot. Don't worry though, you can easily convert your PCIe 1x to a 16x slot with a PCIe 1x to 16x riser card like most Cryptocurrency miners use. Obviously you wont get the 16x slot bandwidth by magic, it's still a wired 1x slot, but you stick your fullsize GPU in it.

Most risers are around $8 US or ~$10 CAD (I think).

 

Seeing your case in your profile you should have room to put the riser in your case and even jerry rig it, so it sits on a PCI bracket on the back. GT710 do not weigh a lot, so they can be held on the case with 1 screw.


Main RIG: i7 4770k ~ 4.8Ghz | Intel HD Onboard (enough for my LoL gaming) | Samsung 960 Pro 256GB NVMe | 32GB (4x 8GB) Kingston Savage 2133Mhz DDR3 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | ThermalTake FrioOCK | MS-Tech (puke) 700W | Windows 10 64Bit

Mining RIG: AMD A6-9500 | ASRock AB350 Pro | 4GB DDR4 | 500GB 2.5 Inch HDD | 2x MSI AERO GTX 1060 6GB (Core/Memory/TDP/Avg Temp +160/+800/120%/45c) | 1x Asus Strix GTX 970 (+195/+400/125%/55c) | 1x KFA2 GTX 960 (+220/+500/120%/70c) | Corsair GS800 800W | HP HSTNS-PD05 1000W | (Modded) Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4129-N Rackmount Case

Guest RIG: FX6300 | AMD HD7870 | Kingston HyperX 128GB SSD | 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz DDR3 | Some ASRock 970 Mobo | Stock Heatsink | some left over PSU  | Windows 10 64Bit

VM Server: HP Proliant DL160 G6 | 2x Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4Ghz 4c/8t (8c/16t total) | 16GB (8x 2GB) HP 1066Mhz ECC DDR3 | 2x Western Digital Black 250GB HDD | VMWare ESXI

Storage Node: 2x Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.27Ghz 4c/8t (8c/16t total) | Intel ServerBoard S5500HCV | 36GB (9x 4GB) 1333Mhz ECC DDR3 | 3x Seagate 2TB 7200RPM | 4x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×