Help me choose a new budget cooler

super_koza

Hi all!

Help me choose a new cooler for 1151 Coffee Lake.

My CPU is i5 8400, so no overclocking. However, keeping it cool, will help keeping the turbo boost on...

Following coolers are in play:

• be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 22€
  • Cooler Master Hyper T4 26€
  • Arctic Freezer 33 28€
  • Arctic Freezer i32 28€
  • Cooler Master Hyper 412S 30€
  • Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE 30€
  • EKL Alpenföhn Brocken ECO 31€
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 31€
  • be quiet! Pure Rock 32€
  • Scythe Kotetsu Mark II 32€
  • Arctic Freezer 33 CO 33€

If you have any of those coolers, please let me know your impressions. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: This topic is somewhat linked to:

Hyper 212 Evo is a really good choice among many. I used the Hyper T4 when building in a Cooler Master N200 as well so I'm only speaking on those two from experience. Overall, both of them are pretty good and have kept my thermals as close to ambient temperatures even under loads of gaming.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Many say that be quiet fans are really quiet, while being very good coolers as well. I myself have some bequiet pure rock fans as case fans, and they are really quiet at 1000rpm, while moving a lot of air.

Stock cooler keeps the CPU both cool and allows turbo boosting. 

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

Yeah, I've read that too.

The downside of Pure Rock is that it blocks the first RAM slot, so I would need to watch out when buying the second RAM pair...
I like the Scythe Kotetsu Mark II, but I could hardly find any reviews...

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Stock cooler keeps the CPU both cool and allows turbo boosting. 

I do not have a stock cooler, as I bought a tray CPU. It doesn't make sense to buy a stock cooler now, they cost almost 20€.

1 hour ago, super_koza said:

I do not have a stock cooler, as I bought a tray CPU. It doesn't make sense to buy a stock cooler now, they cost almost 20€.

Pure Rock Slim

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

3 hours ago, super_koza said:

Yeah, I've read that too.

The downside of Pure Rock is that it blocks the first RAM slot, so I would need to watch out when buying the second RAM pair...
I like the Scythe Kotetsu Mark II, but I could hardly find any reviews...

The fan can be installed on the other side of the heatsink in pull so that it clears the ram slots. That being said, the Kotetsu Mark II should be better than the Pure Rock even if it's a bit worse than the original Kotetsu which I doubt is the case. 

The stock cooler should be fine for keeping turbo boost on unless you have shoddy case airflow. If that's the case, The PR Slim should be plenty of cooling and is a breeze to install.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.