Is this the proper way to clean a gpu? I'm asking for a friend!

remo

If you think so, please try it.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

If by cleaning, you mean killing, then yes, absolutely, certainly will that method clean your graphics card :D

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

Just water and soap. Quite safe unless youre new to this.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

If by cleaning, you mean killing, then yes, absolutely, certainly will that method clean your graphics card :D

Actually that's a pretty interesting point.

Theoretically, if there's no residual power in the card then there's nothing to conduct and short out. Following that, if you properly dry the GPU out so there's no water or soap left on the card, it should be fine.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

add a tide pod for extra cleaning

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Actually that's a pretty interesting point.

Theoretically, if there's no residual power in the card then there's nothing to conduct and short out. Following that, if you properly dry the GPU out so there's no water or soap left on the card, it should be fine.

Interesting. What about the capacitors though, could they get damaged by the water?

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

add a tide pod for extra cleaning

Nah, save that for (not) snack!

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

ive done this to multiple graphics cards but it was disassembled.... and they all work fine to this day. 

Edit: stripped card that was completely dead of power, straight in the sink with soap, gave it a through rinse, on a radiator for a couple of days... worked perfect....

the only reason i did this was because it was an older card that was pulled from a system, and a friend managed to spill a cup of tea on it. At the same time a motherboard was also cleaned and still works perfectly to this day. 

Edited by Hatchlius

If some of u old farts didn't know I was being sarcastic but thank you for the feedback ????

1 hour ago, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

Interesting. What about the capacitors though, could they get damaged by the water?

They could be, but it's a risk worth taking!

14 minutes ago, remo said:

If some of u old farts didn't know I was being sarcastic but thank you for the feedback ????

Going by the feedback, I'd say most of us were being sarcastic too haha

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Hatchlius said:

ive done this to multiple graphics cards but it was disassembled.... and they all work fine to this day. 

Edit: stripped card that was completely dead of power, straight in the sink with soap, gave it a through rinse, on a radiator for a couple of days... worked perfect....

the only reason i did this was because it was an older card that was pulled from a system, and a friend managed to spill a cup of tea on it. At the same time a motherboard was also cleaned and still works perfectly to this day. 

soap is mainly to dissolve fats/ oil. Why would there be oil on PC components? if there are, they may be lubricant which its better to let them stay.

however i have seen some people recommend wd40 like products, so perhaps there isnt oil on PC comp...

3 hours ago, Hatchlius said:

Tea is mostly just water, so just having it dry out after you spill tea should be enough. Unless there was milk and / or sugar in the tea.

On topic: As long as you dry the card before using it again, I dont think this would really cause any damage. Unless you are scrubbing the thermal paste from under the heatsink, or scrubbing so hard it damages the components on the PCB.

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Tea is mostly just water, so just having it dry out after you spill tea should be enough. Unless there was milk and / or sugar in the tea.

On topic: As long as you dry the card before using it again, I dont think this would really cause any damage. Unless you are scrubbing the thermal paste from under the heatsink, or scrubbing so hard it damages the components on the PCB.

yeah im from the UK so... loads of full fat milk and a couple of sugars,

soapy water with a paint brush to loosen dirt