Ryzen 5 2400G & Ryzen 3 2200G APU (with Vega GPUs) review kits are being sent out

Master Disaster
28 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

there is one problem though, these cpus seem to only have 8 pcie for gpu meaning you can only have up to 8 gpus and i dont think there are mining motherboards for ryzen 

The cpu has 64 pci-e lanes.

Those 64 lanes are split into x4 going to chipset and 60 "general purpose" and motherboard makers usually use 3 x4 for up to 3 m.2 , and the rest for slots , so you typically have 48 lanes split across 6-8 slots. With 6 slots, you have 6 x8 slots, for a total of 48 lanes + 12 lanes for m.2 + 4 lanes to chipset = 64 lanes.

Also the beauty of Threadripper systems is that each x16 can be divided in up to 8 devices, combinations of x1 , x4 and x8 devices, so it should be fairly easy to split the x16 in

Think those Asus HYPER cards which plug into a x16 slot and create 4 x4 m.2 connectors, those don't have any bridge chip, they just split the x16 slot into 4x4 directly, the motherboards and cpu have to support it, and threadripper does...

Here's the card https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/overview/

and a video to see the insides.

So I'm sure there would be some chinese people ready to replace the m.2 connectors with x1 connectors or x4 connectors to go to video cards. You get 3 x16 slots in your threadripper board and you get 12 x4 links to video cards, and you'll still have loads of lanes... use m.2 to pci-e adapters/risers, maybe board comes with slots that have lanes coming from chipset...

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The cpu has 64 pci-e lanes.

we are talking about the apu bro

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

we are talking about the apu bro

Ah, sorry, I thought it was about Threadripper, got this mixed with the mining thread, thought it was talking about threadripper and mining monero on it.  My bad.

Yes, the APU only gives out 8 pci-e 3.0 lanes for the video card, 4 to m.2 and 4 to chipset but that's really enough for a video card. There's minimal performance difference going to pci-e v3.0 x16.

Still...  b350 chipsets create 6 pci-e v2.0 lanes and the x370 chipses create 8 lanes.

Motherboards will use maybe one or two of those lanes to connect internal things like onboard sound card and network cards, but on ATX boards, you would still have at least a pci-e x4 and 2-3 pci-e x1 slots, so you'd have maybe 4-5 pci-e slots in which to plug video cards if you want to mine, or even just to have two video cards in a mGPU configuration (one directly to APU and one plugged in pci-e x4 slot from chipset)

https://videocardz.com/74961/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-synthetic-and-gaming-benchmarks-emerge

First drop of reviews. Helpful if you can translate some of the Chinese, haha.

Seems like stock settings and 2933 RAM. Results in line with what we could expect, and that's pretty dang good. I really hope AMD can get these in the OEM channels. This is exactly the type of CPU most people need in a "home computer" these days.

On 09/02/2018 at 2:39 AM, GoldenLag said:

Well at that point they might aswell make a 8 core 16 thread Ryzen 7 2700G/2800G. Since you need 2 four core cluster tl make that doable, abd at this point there is only 1 four core cluster

Threadripper APU with VEGA Frontier.

12 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Threadripper APU with VEGA Frontier.

Such a chip would probably pass the 500 mm^2 mark even on 7nm and would require HBM. That's one expensive chip with poor yields. With EMIB, it would be pretty straight forward though. Really show cases how much AMD is fucked without proper interconnect technology. Fucked in the sense their strategy can't truly come to fruition without.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Such a chip would probably pass the 500 mm^2 mark even on 7nm and would require HBM. That's one expensive chip with poor yields. With EMIB, it would be pretty straight forward though. Really show cases how much AMD is fucked without proper interconnect technology. Fucked in the sense their strategy can't truly come to fruition without.

actually it would not, the vega die would be around 270mm^2 (or smaller) plus the cpu part which would be much smaller so in die size it would work, now the interposer would increase price but possible, and lisa did confirm that they are working on improving interposer tech which shouldn't be too hard to do, as emib is at its core a smaller interposer embedded into a pcb, 

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

Ah, sorry, I thought it was about Threadripper, got this mixed with the mining thread, thought it was talking about threadripper and mining monero on it.  My bad.

This happens to me a lot.  Recently we seem to be having a lot of threads where the discussion overlaps are so prolific that it's hard to remember exactly who was claiming what.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

actually it would not, the vega die would be around 270mm^2 (or smaller) plus the cpu part which would be much smaller so in die size it would work, now the interposer would increase price but possible, and lisa did confirm that they are working on improving interposer tech which shouldn't be too hard to do, as emib is at its core a smaller interposer embedded into a pcb, 

It adds up. Let's assume 50% reduced area. Vega 10 is 484 mm^2 and Zeppelin being 213 mm^2. If you wanted 16 cores it's times two. Sure there might be redundancies that could be eliminated in a single die design all things considered. I don't think you could get it under 400 no matter what you did unless there is something I'm not seeing

It would be a nightmare to make in its complexity and size. The interposer is possible, of course, but the price would be passed on to the consumer and then some. Who would want that? It's expensive enough as it is. Yes, Lisa said that but it was so vague that it's inconsequential. Nothing concrete and may as well lead nowhere or be half a decade in the making.

13 hours ago, Juggar said:

Obviously mining Ethereum would be out of the question but coins based on the cryptonight algo are not memory intensive. I dont think you understand how lucrative this really is, people build mining rigs generally use a $50 celeron CPU. That CPU will never ROI itself and will never do anything for you beyond run your rig. 

With these, and the readily available mining motherboards for only $80, it would make an excellent base CPU for a mining rig if it were actually able to pull some weight. A much better alternative to the classic celeron people use, and much more powerful as well. Basically the chip would be like have an extra GPU in your system, and would pay itself off and then be all profit after about 3 months. 

You're probably right. Electricity costs are absurdly high where I live so it's simply not feasible for me.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |