Ryzen 5 2400G & Ryzen 3 2200G APU (with Vega GPUs) review kits are being sent out

Master Disaster
24 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

There's a reason Intel denoted 8th gen CPU's with an 8 at the beginning of the SKUs... It's because it's easier for the general consumer to understand. And I guarantee you people will mix Zen 2 with Ryzen+ SKU's...

When the Nvidia GTX 1080 launched, there were people who thought it was specifically for 1080p gaming. 

General consumers aren't aware of microarchitectures. So Ryzen is all they see. They know 2000 is bigger than 1000. That's enough to make a decision.

It's as confusing as Intel's bridges, wells and lakes are. They denote series with 1000s just the same. They denote generation of products. Arguably Raven Ridge is a lot closer to Pinnacle Ridge than Summit Ridge. The big difference is really the node but they're otherwise fairly close according to the information that is public.

I'm not going to comment on the Nvidia thing. Conflating numbers like that means you need to consult a sales rep before purchasing. Like with any other purchase where you're clearly channeling Jon Snow.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

General consumers aren't aware of microarchitectures. So Ryzen is all they see. *relevant info*

I guess thats fair.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I've continued to hope that the very, very large APUs seen in even base PS4 and Xbox One would trickle down but it keeps not happening. :(  The 2400G is only a bit short of the 'fat' Xbox One but I still have continued to hope to see 'Console Par' APUs that would be pretty nice in SFF builds and such.  Oh well.

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I've continued to hope that the very, very large APUs seen in even base PS4 and Xbox One would trickle down but it keeps not happening. :(  The 2400G is only a bit short of the 'fat' Xbox One but I still have continued to hope to see 'Console Par' APUs that would be pretty nice in SFF builds and such.  Oh well.

The 2400g is faster then the Xbox one APU, it might have 1 less CU but it has a 1250Mhz clock over the 914Mhz in the xbox one.

The PS4 is 18CU at 800Mhz which edges out the 2400g a little bit, but a OC would fix that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

The 2400g is faster then the Xbox one APU, it might have 1 less CU but it has a 1250Mhz clock over the 914Mhz in the xbox one.

You have a point though I guess in that case it's hard to determine which is really 'faster', in that which trade off is worth more in the end.

Even then, the Xbox One isn't exactly powerful.  I just wish for a 'fat' APU someday.  It'd make for a killer NUC like system. :P  But I also get that such a product could potentially cannibalize discrete sales.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You have a point though I guess in that case it's hard to determine which is really 'faster', in that which trade off is worth more in the end.

Even then, the Xbox One isn't exactly powerful.  I just wish for a 'fat' APU someday.  It'd make for a killer NUC like system. :P  But I also get that such a product could potentially cannibalize discrete sales.

also the consoles have better GPU ram, but the 2400g should be really good. It also uses a lot less power.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well seeing how now even the 1050 might get affected (Probably not due to mining but so many people buying the one and only option) it would be just about the best time for AMD to take such venture.

Though I am supremely skeptical they could afford that without MS/Sony levels of bank to back the endevour.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

As @Energycore pointed out in a status, what's REALLY missing is a Ryzen 5 2600G, which would be a six core 12 thread APU

We discussed it and it seems like the Vega GPU uses the space of a whole CCX so no 6-core APU at least on the consumer sockec.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

15 minutes ago, Energycore said:

We discussed it and it seems like the Vega GPU uses the space of a whole CCX so no 6-core APU at least on the consumer sockec.

If it doesnt fit, you're just not pushing hard enough ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

These will be nice. 

Probably also only way to get Vega for people haha... yeah... 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Granted no Vega 8 or Vega 11 cards exist I wonder if it'd be possible for them to do what APUs of years past were able to do and run a crossfire like thing between the iGPU and a similar dGPU.

So like I wonder if a 460 or 550/560 would be able to run in that sort of mode.

Certainly nice to see something to help people with smaller budgets that couldn't get a GPU before they jumped in price.

I got my RX 470 last year, sometime around March with income tax money I believe... It was on sale at best buy for $182, now used it seems that they're going for almost double or more than what they're actually worth.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

Well, what I heard is that the Ryzen 3 2200g is  sort of around slightly less than RX 550 or GT 1030 in performance, and the Ryzen 5 2400g is between RX 550 and RX 560 in performance, or a bit faster than GT 1030.

So... Still better than my GTX 560Ti. LOL

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Crossfire is no longer supported by AMD, in the sense that DirectX 12 has multi GPU support and game developers are supposed to be using that to spread their game engines across multiple video cards (ex use primary card for something, use second card for physics or whatever, or use parts of both for rendering frames)

So basically with DirectX 12 or Vulkan you can basically install any second card and the games could in theory use those other cards.

It is however something more difficult to do and something new, and it's not backwards supported in DX 11 and other versions.

Just something that caught my eye, I haven't seen any news of a 6 or 8-core Ryzen APU. From what I can tell, these chips are basically a 1200/1300x and a 1400/1500x with slightly better microarchitecture and an iGPU. Based on that, I'm really interested in seeing how they perform against their previous generation Zen counterparts.

I'm also interested in seeing how they compare to the A-series Zen based APUs. Last-gen APUs were pretty crap from what I recall(from reviews and personal experience), but I haven't kept up with the A-series Zen chips.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 hours ago, Agost said:

DDR4-2933 as an official ram clock? Is it legit?

Probably misplaced "1" with "9" for some apparent reason. ^^'

2 minutes ago, Zubkover said:

Probably misplaced "1" with "9" for some apparent reason. ^^'

dont think so, amd stated very clearly that this new apu have better memory support and a easier time reaching 3200mhz.

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just something that caught my eye, I haven't seen any news of a 6 or 8-core Ryzen APU. From what I can tell, these chips are basically a 1200/1300x and a 1400/1500x with slightly better microarchitecture and an iGPU. Based on that, I'm really interested in seeing how they perform against their previous generation Zen counterparts.

I'm also interested in seeing how they compare to the A-series Zen based APUs. Last-gen APUs were pretty crap from what I recall(from reviews and personal experience), but I haven't kept up with the A-series Zen chips.

These APUs are 1 CCX (so 4 cores) and then 11 Vega CUs in place of the other CCX. There won't be any 8c APUs this generation. Zen2-based ones, in late 2019, is a very different issue.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

These APUs are 1 CCX (so 4 cores) and then 11 Vega CUs in place of the other CCX. There won't be any 8c APUs this generation. Zen2-based ones, in late 2019, is a very different issue.

6 core apu then probably, with a good sized gpu

52 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Probably. Summit Ridge is 200~ mm2 and Raven Ridge is 210~ mm2. If we assume Zen2 cores don't increase in size and cache also stays similar, they might use the added space on a 200ish 7nm die to add 2 extra cores and some extra CUs with corresponding cache. But that would probably also mean they move the CCX to a 6 core configuration unless they do major changes to the microarchitecture to change how CCXs work. I'm not sure they could actually push 8 cores onto the die without changing the die size because I'm certain they'd also want the GPU to follow suit. I'm sure they could do 8 cores if they keep the GPU size the same though but I think most would rather want the GPU than the CPU horsepower but maybe I'm wrong here. In any case: I don't think AMD wants to go up in size if they can avoid it. Not even something like 250 mm2.

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

dont think so, amd stated very clearly that this new apu have better memory support and a easier time reaching 3200mhz.

Yeah, it's official. It's not some rumor. AMD also shipped 3200 MHz kits to reviewers. And the quoted MHz is just the official support before overclocking. It should overclock better than Summit Ridge but we obviously don't know that for sure other than what AMD tells us which are obviously best case scenarios.

So one question I haven't seen answered yet, anyone know when embargo ends on these puppies?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

12th of February I believe (that's the date they go on sale).

Damn, was hoping they'd let reviews go live a few days before release.

I'm going to be watching WAN show tomorrow knowing Linus has these chips in stock, probably has them in a board on a test bench and probably has PC Mark running while he's doing WAN and also knowing that he won't acknowledge this thread or the existence of these chips because of embargo.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

31 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

If AMD does only 1 die for mobile with Zen2, I'd expect a 8c (so 2 CCX) and ~20 CUs. If they do two dies, I'd expect a 4c w/ ~12 CU plus the 8c model.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If AMD does only 1 die for mobile with Zen2, I'd expect a 8c (so 2 CCX) and ~20 CUs. If they do two dies, I'd expect a 4c w/ ~12 CU plus the 8c model.

So it's a product that would make very little sense I know but is there a possibility of a Threadripper APU?

So 2 2400Gs glued together, maybe even with XFire on the GPUs?

Yeah it's dumb as all hell but theoretically could it be done?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Damn, was hoping they'd let reviews go live a few days before release.

I'm going to be watching WAN show tomorrow knowing Linus has these chips in stock, probably has them in a board on a test bench and probably has PC Mark running while he's doing WAN and also knowing that he won't acknowledge this thread or the existence of these chips because of embargo.

Yeah, the unboxing I've seen were just that. They said they already begun testing it but won't even say if it's good (even though that'd be in AMD's favor to do so). So Linus might say he has it on the bench and even show the box but he won't be able to talk about benchmarks at all.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You really think they could fit 8 croes and 20 CUs without significantly increasing die size even on 7nm?