Ryzen 5 2400G & Ryzen 3 2200G APU (with Vega GPUs) review kits are being sent out

Master Disaster

banana.png

Due to be on general sale next week the first review samples for Ryzen 2 APUs are starting to arrive on doorsteps, looking at the package size it's a fair assumption the review kits contain both chips.

The AMD Ryzen with Vega graphics are set to launch next week and it looks like the first reviewer kits are making their way out to reviewers right now!  I’ve seen pictures of what appears to be the reviewer kit, thanks to the banana for scale.   So it’s likely that this is similar to the earlier Ryzen launches and with two models, the Ryzen 3 2200G and the Ryzen 5 2400G, they should be loaded with enough hardware to help the reviewers work through all the performance metrics.

This will be the first APU from AMD to pair a modern CPU & GPU into a single package, no definite word on performance of these things yet though but the GPU is said to be close to a GTX1030/RX550

The Ryzen with Vega graphics chips have been more exciting than the last round of APU launches from AMD since it’ll be the first time that we’ll have Ryzen CPU cores with modern GPU cores from the Vega architecture.  Looks like Raven Ridge is finally here in desktop form, and it should be far ahead of what Bristol Ridge was able to offer.  That is something we’re anxious to show when we can get our hands on one of these chips ourselves, just how much of a leap has the newer architecture really taken over the old.

Not only that, with the cryptocurrency mining boom taking even the entry level graphics cards to ridiculous prices and gaming performance of the APUs to be on par with GT 1030 and RX 550 graphics cards this should be exciting.  For those curious of how out of hand prices have gotten I took this pic today, just a few hours ago from publishing, at a local best buy where the RX 550 is going for MORE than the upper tier Ryzen 5 2400G.

gRzOlEL.png

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-vega-graphics-reviewer-kits-start-showing-ryzen-5-2400g-ryzen-3-2200g/

So next week things get interesting in the budget gaming world. The RX550 currently costs more than the R5 will sell for.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

DDR4-2933 as an official ram clock? Is it legit?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 minute ago, Agost said:

Nice spot, I'm actually not sure where they got that info from so don't know if it's legit, a mistake or just WCCF being WCCF.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I like the comparison to the Intel product in the picture.

What's most interesting - look at the pricing when compared to current Ryzen CPU offerings.

R3 2200G's MSRP is 99$, an R3 1200 is 104-109$... And the APU has the same clock speeds as the R3 1300X (MSRP of 129$)! A killer deal if you ask me, especially considering the power of the iGPU inside.
R5 2400G is pretty much the same story. It has higher clock speeds than even an R5 1500X (3,5/3,7GHz) and it's still cheaper than a 1500X by 5$, despite recent Ryzen price cuts, and it's coming with an even faster iGPU.

I'm very curious about the final reviews of those products.

Edited by Morgan MLGman

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What's most interesting - look at the pricing.

R3 2200G's MSRP is 99$, an R3 1200 is 104-109$... And the APU has the same clock speeds as the R3 1300X (MSRP of 129$)! A killer deal if you ask me, especially considering the power of the iGPU inside.
R5 2400G is pretty much the same story. It has higher clock speeds than even an R5 1500X (3,5/3,7GHz) and it's still cheaper than a 1500X by 5$, despite recent Ryzen price cuts, and it's coming with an even faster iGPU.

Yeah it's mentioned in the article, the Ryzen 5s GPU is competing with the GTX1030/RX550 in terms of performance yet the entire APU will cost less that either card currently does.

Of course as the mining fad starts to die down that will change but right now these are VERY compelling for users looking to game on a budget.

I can't help but think AMD left the launch a little to late. If they'd launched just 3 weeks ago the cost of GPUS at that time would have made these things so popular I honestly don't think AMD could have made them quickly enough. Unfortunately the mining fad is coming to an end and prices are normalising.

Well, what I heard is that the Ryzen 3 2200g is  sort of around slightly less than RX 550 or GT 1030 in performance, and the Ryzen 5 2400g is between RX 550 and RX 560 in performance, or a bit faster than GT 1030.

Also worth pointing out that these are 65w TDP parts and they can be overclocked, both the cpu side AND the gpu side, and I think the leaked estimations were with 2667 Mhz DDR4 or something like that. For sure using 3000-3200 Mhz memory and overclocking the chip to get it within a 95w TDP will probably boost the graphics performance a bit.

27 minutes ago, Agost said:

Pretty sure AMD said that when they talked about it back at CES.

13 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What's most interesting - look at the pricing.

The G-series parts are revised Zen cores, so they've got a bunch of tweaks and should perform slightly better than the previous 1000 series parts. Realistically, they should be faster than the 1500X with a dGPU.  Minus putting a Titan V in there.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Pretty sure AMD said that when they talked about it back at CES.

The G-series parts are revised Zen cores, so they've got a bunch of tweaks and should perform slightly better than the previous 1000 series parts. Realistically, they should be faster than the 1500X with a dGPU.  Minus putting a Titan V in there.

OK so just to be super clear, these are Ryzen 1 2000s rather than Ryzen 2s?

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well, what I heard is that the Ryzen 3 2200g is  sort of around slightly less than RX 550 or GT 1030 in performance, and the Ryzen 5 2400g is between RX 550 and RX 560 in performance, or a bit faster than GT 1030.

Also worth pointing out that these are 65w TDP parts and they can be overclocked, both the cpu side AND the gpu side, and I think the leaked estimations were with 2667 Mhz DDR4 or something like that. For sure using 3000-3200 Mhz memory and overclocking the chip to get it within a 95w TDP will probably boost the graphics performance a bit.

If RAM prices were reasonable, the 2200G with a B450 (is that what they're calling it?) would be a great Budget Gaming PC. It would also provide a really solid upgrade path: add a dGPU later, and then upgrade the CPU down the line.

The APUs, with AMD finally having a great core design behind them, is what the Bulldozer era was supposed to be like. These APUs will be really useful parts, let's just hope RAM prices go down finally.

Just now, mariushm said:

They're Ryzen 1 with tweaked memory controller (reduce latencies, some timings, more compatibility, higher maximum "official" frequencies).

It's not Ryzen+ or Ryzen 2.

I figured as much but just wanted to make sure.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

OK so just to be super clear, these are Ryzen 1 2000s rather than Ryzen 2s?

It's a little complicated.

The 2200G & 2400G are on the same Production Node as Ryzen 1000 series, however they have the same improvements to the Zen Cores as the upcoming Ryzen 2000 series. However, the Ryzen 2000, beyond the G-models, is on a better Production Node.

<sniperella dingdong>

Edited by Noyu
deleted to avoid more confusion

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Maybe the best way to think about it: The G-series is the 6-month upgrade to Zen, while the upcoming 2000 series is the 1-year upgrade. It's something Intel does all of the time, which is the reason why the "8th Gen" has parts across 3 separate production nodes for them.

1 minute ago, Noyu said:

These

whuuuuuuut. I thought they were officially Zen+ (there's no such thing as Ryzen+ btw) which is also Ryzen 2

not to be confused with Zen 2

Does it really matter what people call it? You knew what I meant so the post had the desired effect.

4 minutes ago, Noyu said:

whuuuuuuut. I thought they were officially Zen+ (there's no such thing as Ryzen+ btw) which is also Ryzen 2

not to be confused with Zen 2

The way I know it, is that Ryzen 1 and these Ryzen with integrated graphics are made on the 14nm process.

They planned to have Ryzen+  (Ryzen 1 with minor improvements, slightly higher frequencies, better memory support etc but same IPC and all that) made on 12nm process, a "revised" 14nm process.

Ryzen 2 was supposed to be in a year or two, with more substantial improvements.

Now, I don't know if AMD changed their minds and decided to call Ryzen 2 what was originally referred as Ryzen+.

<snippitysnip>

Edited by Noyu
deleted to avoid more confusion

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

--snip---

I can't help but think AMD left the launch a little to late. If they'd launched just 3 weeks ago the cost of GPUS at that time would have made these things so popular I honestly don't think AMD could have made them quickly enough. Unfortunately the mining fad is coming to an end and prices are normalising

I think it could have been earlier, but since the mining graze isnt intirely over yet id exprct prices normalizing in 2-3 month time if it continues to drop at this rate. Second hand gpu's hits the market in about a month as miner hold out in hope for a rise in crypto prices. This all assumes it continues to drop, which it by no means is guaranteed to do. I think these APU's are gonna be really popular even after zen+ comes out this year. They are atm the best budget option with a promising upgrade path.

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Does it really matter what people call it? You knew what I meant so the post had the desired effect.

MY BAD UPON MORE GOOGLE-FU YOU WERE RIGHT!!

Zen (14nm) = Ryzen 1 and the Ryzen APUs  (2200G and 2400G)

Zen+ (12nm) = Ryzen 2

Zen 2 (7nm)

Karamo

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I have a feeling these APU's are going to be a favorite among budget pc's today and in the future the new "add a gpu" second hand PCs

Though crossfire implementations would be non existent, since AMD does seem to be having troubles producing enough Vega GPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Though crossfire implementations would be non existent, since AMD does seem to be having troubles producing enough Vega GPU.

Im thinking of all the cheap dell and hp pc's that will pop up. Crossfire and sli is slowly dying anyway

17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It's more like they're limited by the amount of HBM memory production, and the fact that they made contracts with Apple (their Apple Pro machines) and probably Intel to give them priority to the chips with HBM memory, so there's less quantity available for regular gaming cards (the Vega cards)

And even if they'd have enough quantity, they'd be snatched quickly to be used for mining since they're great for mining Monero or whatnot.