Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Noctua_Boy said:

Negative nellys like yourself dont make the world go round , if what up to you we would still be stuck on 2d gaming.

"3D Graphics? that technology from the military flying simulators? it costs millions of dollars , it would never make it to consoles" ... Somehow it did.

 

You're the one stuck in the past with your slow capped internet connection.

 

Also you don't seem to understand that they only way companies will change their business practices is by consumer demand dictating it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Do you think that people living in those shitholes that have bad Internet connection have the money to buy a 4k TV??

You cant judge people based on bad infrastructure+laws :( i have a nice apartment and high end 4k HDR tv but my internet sucks, i have to have a HD Netflix subscription because 4k content wont stream fast enough, i'd have to pause for 5 mins while it buffers, enjoy a few mins then pause again its total BS.  We don't have net neutrality here so its not that my lines cant handle it, if i download a game from Steam for some reason that comes in a 8-9MBPS but a torrent, Netflix stream or YouTube is slowed down to around 900kbps-1.1MBPS.  

 

I wish i could make my ISP treat all of my data equally but i cant :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

You cant judge people based on bad infrastructure+laws :( i have a nice apartment and high end 4k HDR tv but my internet sucks, i have to have a HD Netflix subscription because 4k content wont stream fast enough, i'd have to pause for 5 mins while it buffers, enjoy a few mins then pause again its total BS.  We don't have net neutrality here so its not that my lines cant handle it, if i download a game from Steam for some reason that comes in a 8-9MBPS but a torrent, Netflix stream or YouTube is slowed down to around 900kbps-1.1MBPS.  

 

I wish i could make my ISP treat all of my data equally but i cant :( 

Agreed. @Stefan Payne someone having bad Internet has no relation to whether they are wealthy or poor. Many rural areas have terrible internet, and small caps, but residents can be well off otherwise.

 

Plus 4K TV's aren't exactly hugely expensive anymore. You can get a 4K HDR TV for as low as like $500 (or less) in some cases. Sure a good one will still run you $1000, but lots of people will still buy the cheaper ones.


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

 

 

Plus 4K TV's aren't exactly hugely expensive anymore. You can get a 4K HDR TV for as low as like $500 (or less) in some cases. Sure a good one will still run you $1000, but lots of people will still buy the cheaper ones.

 

I actually got mine (a Samsung) for about $700 with HDR and it was a pretty bang for buck TV.  Though I would generally avoid Insignia, Hisense, and TCL. They didn't seem horrible but even at their price points they just didn't seem worth it.


Just your everyday PC and Nintendo gaming nerd and collector

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

 

I actually got mine (a Samsung) for about $700 with HDR and it was a pretty bang for buck TV.  Though I would generally avoid Insignia, Hisense, and TCL. They didn't seem horrible but even at their price points they just didn't seem worth it.

Brands like those are "okay". They shouldn't drop dead on you, but the image quality and long term longevity of them will be less than a good Samsung, LG, Sony, etc.


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/22/2018 at 8:46 AM, ImpulseRez said:

You're the one stuck in the past with your slow capped internet connection.

 

Also you don't seem to understand that they only way companies will change their business practices is by consumer demand dictating it.

What does my connection has to do with this? I understand that very well , all my points are based on it , not that you took the time to read between the lines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2018 at 3:01 AM, dalekphalm said:

Furthermore, if NAND becomes cheap enough to have large enough cartridges for games (And since 4K and higher quality are both things that the PS5/XB2 would aim for, most likely 64GB is going to be too small), then it would make more sense to have NAND flash on the console itself - whether this is an actual SSD, or some form of cache.

Cartridges aren't using the same kind of flash that you find in an SSD or even a SD card. It's read only memory and it's therefore cheaper so that equation doesn't necessarily add up. And in any case, if NAND flash gets to the point where it's so cheap you can replace the HDD with an SSD? We better still not be using discs also. Optical media is far closer to death by cheaper cartridges than the HDD is from cheaper SSDs.

On 22/02/2018 at 4:26 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Do you think that people living in those shitholes that have bad Internet connection have the money to buy a 4k TV??

Australia. Economically about on par with Canada in terms of cost of living, income etc but with half the average internet speed. We're most definitely buying 4K TVs and then streaming sub-HD Netflix to it.

On 22/02/2018 at 4:46 PM, ImpulseRez said:

You're the one stuck in the past with your slow capped internet connection. Also you don't seem to understand that they only way companies will change their business practices is by consumer demand dictating it.

Yeah, we'll just take our business to that other service which is also running past our houses. Oh wait, I forgot, most people only have one service option available to them. It's almost like telecommunications infrastructure is a natural monopoly like water, gas, power, sewage, roads. Voting with your wallet doesn't work when there's only one option on the ballot.


Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 3:26 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Do you think that people living in those shitholes that have bad Internet connection have the money to buy a 4k TV??


I doubt that. If you have the money for that, you usually also have the money to move to a location with good internet connection.

This post seems kinda ignorant.

 

Firstly, for a lot of TVs, they only COME in 4K now and it's not that expenesive.  Even my 65" 4K Samsung was only $1499 CAD a year and a half ago.

 

More over you seem to be assuming that people live in 'shitholes' purely due to poor economic standing.  There are are great many people who live in more rural areas not because 'they can't afford to move to the city' but because that's where their JOBS are.  They can easily have goods shipped by Amazon or shop at a reasonable accessible 'Big Box' retailer and purchase consumer electronic, but internet connectivity can be spotty.  I mean, geez, most of the Blockbuster video stores that remain in the United States are in ALASKA.  Why?  The terrain and spread out population is not really conductive to strong availibility of broadband internet.  The median income in Alaska is $69,000 USD or so, BTW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This post seems kinda ignorant.

 

Firstly, for a lot of TVs, they only COME in 4K now and it's not that expenesive.  Even my 65" 4K Samsung was only $1499 CAD a year and a half ago.

 

More over you seem to be assuming that people live in 'shitholes' purely due to poor economic standing.  There are are great many people who live in more rural areas not because 'they can't afford to move to the city' but because that's where their JOBS are.  They can easily have goods shipped by Amazon or shop at a reasonable accessible 'Big Box' retailer and purchase consumer electronic, but internet connectivity can be spotty.  I mean, geez, most of the Blockbuster video stores that remain in the United States are in ALASKA.  Why?  The terrain and spread out population is not really conductive to strong availibility of broadband internet.  The median income in Alaska is $69,000 USD or so, BTW.

Just for context to those who might not know, $69,000 USD is roughly $87,000 CAD - that's considered a damn good Salary. Damn good. (Granted, in a place like Vancouver or Toronto, $87K goes a lot less than say, London, Ontario).


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

More over you seem to be assuming that people live in 'shitholes' purely due to poor economic standing. 

First:
I live in one of those shitholes. Literally.

Can't do shit in Winter, many stores/Shops and so on are closed.

And you don't want to leave the house in Summer because there are just too many people for the infrastructure and stores...

The queue before the cashiers is from front to back of the stores - literally...

 

However I am lucky and am able to get 25MBit Down - most people here around me are limited to up to 6MBit down for most of them, if they are lucky they might even get 16MBit. 

 

 

 

And I also lived once in a real shithole that only had DSL Lite (384kbit down) - and a couple of kilometres in either direction and you'd get something between 25 and 100MBit.

 

Quote

There are are great many people who live in more rural areas not because 'they can't afford to move to the city' but because that's where their JOBS are. 

Yes and you can look at the Internet speed before you move and sign the rental agreement...

 

And sometimes its just a couple of Metres between great Internet and shit - if at all working. Louis Rossman (Apple Repair Guy in New York) mentions something like that also. 

 

According to him the Internets across the streets is better than what he can get on his side...

 

Quote

They can easily have goods shipped by Amazon or shop at a reasonable accessible 'Big Box' retailer and purchase consumer electronic, but internet connectivity can be spotty.

Some people afe so fucked they can't even order in some online shops because those shops can't find the address of that person due to some other fuckups (ie: you have like 4 or those streets with the same postal code).

 

I know I am one of those...

 

Anyway, if you have the money, you can move to a location with better internet.

If you don't have the money you are stuck at where you are...

 

Well there is also the possibility that you might inherit a house in a location that can't even get a landline connection....


Oh and this posting does not contain any sarcasm or irony....


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Anyway, if you have the money, you can move to a location with better internet.

If you don't have the money you are stuck at where you are...

Yup... Pretty sure you didn't comprehend my post in the slightest. o.O

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yup... Pretty sure you didn't comprehend my post in the slightest. o.O

Neither did you.


There might be exceptions to the rule. But we don't usually make rules for the exceptions, do we?

Well, OK; Canada does...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Neither did you.


There might be exceptions to the rule. But we don't usually make rules for the exceptions, do we?

Well, OK; Canada does...

You are apparently attempting to declare your own personal circumstance to be 'the rule'. o.O

 

Meanwhile I was able to point out an entire America state as just one example with one of the strongest median incomes in the country (7th if going by household median income) yet where internet access is limited that the mostly defunt idea of the video rental store maintains a strong foothold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Anyway, if you have the money, you can move to a location with better internet.

 

Life is rarely this simple, you'd be better off just saying that you misspoke and distance yourself from earlier remarks rather than defending them :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

You are apparently attempting to declare your own personal circumstance to be 'the rule'. o.O

 

Meanwhile I was able to point out an entire America state as just one example with one of the strongest median incomes in the country (7th if going by household median income) yet where internet access is limited that the mostly defunt idea of the video rental store maintains a strong foothold.

Most European Counties have internet that is faster than the averange USA connection by tenfolds. We are talking about 100mbs+ being regular speeds even on poor countries , simply because its brand new infrastucture.

Does it mean the USA is a shithole ?

Sarcasm Vol 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×