Noctua NH-D15 - cold heatsink?

Lapsio
Go to solution Solved by tomoki,

That seems normal to me haha. I'm using a Dark Rock Pro 3 and it's pretty cool to the touch even when my computer is at full load around 79C

I recently bought NH-D15 for old i7-2600K not overclocked. Temperature on core in stress is around 50 deg and I'm a bit worried that cooler is mount improperly because heatsink is cold. After like 15 min of stress heatsink remains cold and core reaches 50 deg. And I don't mean warm or something - it's really quite chilly if I touch it like cold feel of metal. After migrating from some ultra shitty CM budget cooler which could change its temperature before pc even booted up it's quite odd to me and I'm not sure if it's okay. It was my first time mounting cooler (previous system has been assembled by shop). I put this much paste: <attachment> and tried to tighten screws but not too hard as I was afraid to damage mobo/socket.

Is it normal for bigger heatsinks to be that cool? 50 deg sounds quite hot comparing to literally cold heatsink. As of now after over 30 min of running heatsink is still cold.

P_20171226_001911_p.jpg

That seems normal to me haha. I'm using a Dark Rock Pro 3 and it's pretty cool to the touch even when my computer is at full load around 79C

50Cº on stressing is a desirable temperature every thing seems to be functioning well, the heatsink being cold is a god signal if it was hot that'd mean the CPU was on 100Cº and then you'd have an actual issue.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

That sounds to me like quite bad conductivity but if it's normal then okay I guess O_o...

4 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

That sounds to me like quite bad conductivity but if it's normal then okay I guess O_o...

It means that the heatsink and fans are efficient enough to move the heat away before the tower even gets warm.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

30 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

Is it normal for bigger heatsinks to be that cool? 50 deg sounds quite hot comparing to literally cold heatsink. As of now after over 30 min of running heatsink is still cold.

You're spreading that heat over a much larger surface and volume, so the surface heat will never be close to the reported temperature of a CPU (if your fans are running ;) ). ESPECAILLY on the NH-D15, that thing has so much mass to it...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I like my CPU cooler hot, when it's cold in my room I can reach my hands between that and the graphics card backplate to warm them up. Don't do this at home.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

CPU temp sensor is much better indicator than your hand.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv