Apple Watch can detect diabetes with 85% accuracy

85% isn't quite good enough for a medical problem IMO but good that progress is being made towards that.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

That's neat, I'm not a diabetic but I do have low blood sugar which I need to be wary about. Not skip meals. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That may be but the fact remains it looks like a very chunky lump strapped to your wrist - almost any other smart watch looks better and more professional imo

The problem, as I see it, is that most of those other smartwatch brands make an incredible number of compromises just to say their device looks like a conventional watch.  "Look at how much it resembles your old watch!"  Yeah, but the battery life is typically lousy, it only fits a small amount of information on screen and it's half an inch thick.

I won't deny that the Apple Watch looks like a piece of tech on your wrist, but it can look nice with the right case/band combo.  And importantly, they're actually size-appropriate for women and anyone with thin wrists.  It's still shameful that most Android Wear/Tizen watches are these massive beasts clearly designed by men, for men... and clearly men that never have to tuck a watch under a dress shirt.  More importantly, the Apple Watch actually works well as a smartwatch.  Good battery life (on Series 3, at least), lots of info on screen, a healthy app ecosystem, plenty of fitness options, you get the idea.

On the original subject: I'd say smartwatches are best at detecting signs of short-term trouble, like heart arrhythmia and even the prelude to heart attacks.  There have been numerous instances of smartwatches saving people's lives.  While 85 percent accuracy for diabetes diagnosis is promising, that's not reliable enough for definitive action.  Hopefully there can be improvements in hardware and software to boost that rate.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

85% isn't quite good enough for a medical problem IMO but good that progress is being made towards that.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

[...]

On the original subject: I'd say smartwatches are best at detecting signs of short-term trouble, like heart arrhythmia and even the prelude to heart attacks.  There have been numerous instances of smartwatches saving people's lives.  While 85 percent accuracy for diabetes diagnosis is promising, that's not reliable enough for definitive action.  Hopefully there can be improvements in hardware and software to boost that rate.

And on that topic, apparently it's actually much worse than that.  The 85% is the number of correct diagnoses (telling you that you have diabetes and in fact, you do), but that doesn't factor in the other possibilities.  This post here explained it, but the TL;DR is the number you are probably thinking this is talking about (and rightly so) is actually more like 37%.

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Energycore said:

Reminds me of a video from Veritasium on why you have to double check stuff like this: 85% accuracy on the Apple Watch test is a lot less than you'd think.

So just because the watch says you have it, doesn't mean you have it. Go see a doctor if it does.

UDPATE: Here's the actual probability that you have diabetes if you're diagnosed by Apple Watch, and live in the US

P(D): Probability that you have Diabetes (living in the US) = 9.4%

P(D*): Prob. that you don't have Diabetes = 90.6%

P(W|D): Prob. that Apple Watch says you have Diabetes, if you do have it = 85%

P(W|D*): Prob. that Apple Watch says you have Diabetes, but you don't = 15%

The computation then goes

P(D|W)=[P(W|D)*P(D)]/[P(W|D)*P(D)+P(W|D*)*P(D*)]

Which computes to

P(D|W)=[0.85*0.094]/[0.85*0.094+0.15*0.906]=0.3702...

So, assuming these calculations are correct, and Siri on your Apple Watch goes and says "hey, be careful there's a chance that you have diabetes", then you'll actually have diabetes 37.02% the time.

On the other hard, if you go see a doctor and they conduct tests that end up positive, then you're most likely to have it.

So please folks, double check every time. It's worth it for your health.

EDIT: Had some numbers wrong

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

22 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This really does show that the Apple Watch was always geared towards fitness over being a “smart watch.” 

No, it doesn't.  It shows that people are able to take existing sensor technology and do amazing things with it.  Its the same sensors in all smart watches basically; Apple did not 'plan' or 'gear ahead' for this. 

You've already gotten owned by other people showing that this study applies to all smart watches, but I thought I'd jump in as well.

22 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This tech can can be added to Android Wear (and presumably Gear watches) as well but in my opinion their market presence makes support for those watches mostly being an after thought. 

smartwatches in off it self seem like and after thought in tech in general imo

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 hour ago, Vantage9 said:

You've already gotten owned by other people showing that this study applies to all smart watches, but I thought I'd jump in as well.

Don’t think I can get “owned” if I said that in my original post...... rather it shows people didn’t read. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

smartwatches in off it self seem like and after thought in tech in general imo

Oh, the smartwatch market is doing well -- for Apple.  It shipped about 50 percent more watches during the holidays than it did a year ago.  It's most everyone else who's floundering.  Google still has no idea how to foster Android on anything that isn't a phone, and Samsung has an update cycle that could best be described as... relaxed.

The smartwatch market right now is more like MP3 players when the iPod hit the mainstream -- it's not even so much that Apple is making the best possible product as that its rivals just don't know how to mount an effective response.

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I was at a seminar about AI where they talked about this and chances are, you're already better off following the advice of a machine rather than a doctor.

In fact, a lot of times doctors are already relying on machines.

A doctor only has their experience to go on, and a lot of times that's guesses based on indicate information.

A computer could scan through hundreds of thousands of people with similar test results as you to get a much more accurate prediction.

Not saying that you shouldn't trust doctors, but we are already at the point where doctors augmented by machines are better than just doctors, and in a few years removing the doctor completely could increase the number of successful diagnoses even further. Kind of like how future cars will be safer than human driven cars.

But with all that said, I wouldn't trust an Apple watch for diagnosing me, even a few generations from now. The machines doctors use are quite different from smartwatches still.

So long as the machines are heavily scrutinized for best analytical practice and doctors don't become lax thinking the machine will work it out. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Most Doctors can do this too.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

My eye doctor can detect it with near 100% accuracy. Not sure which is more impressive. Lol.

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don’t think I can get “owned” if I said that in my original post...... rather it shows people didn’t read. 

Funny, when i read your OP it never originally had it in there. Just accept you got caught.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 2/8/2018 at 3:00 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, okay.  That's why nobody saw it at first, and that's why your subject line is SUPER DUPER misleading.  

This is some apple fanboy crap.  We all get it.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:25 PM, Master Disaster said:

I always find it incredible how many people are willing to blindly follow the advice of a machine without consulting any kind of expert first.

Yes, rise up with me and resist our coming AI overlords!  Throw off the shackles of virtual tyranny!

On 2/8/2018 at 7:01 AM, LAwLz said:

Kind of like how future cars will be safer than human driven cars.

laugh1.jpg

On 2/8/2018 at 10:19 AM, Commodus said:

It's still shameful that most Android Wear/Tizen watches are these massive beasts

When I first glanced at this, I misread the last word.......needless to say, it didn't make much sense.  Especially when the line underneath it mentioned dress shirts.  I was rather confused for a moment.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

laugh1.jpg

Are you honestly saying that you do not believe self driving cars will ever be better drivers than humans?

46 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Are you honestly saying that you do not believe self driving cars will ever be better drivers than humans?

Depends on the driver.  Having said that, with the report showing the massive number of times human drivers have needed to intervene and take over?  I'd say that no, they're not ready for prime time (and won't be anytime soon).

7 hours ago, Vantage9 said:

Yeah, okay.  That's why nobody saw it at first, and that's why your subject line is SUPER DUPER misleading.  

This is some apple fanboy crap.  We all get it.

In fairness, it could very well have been there and 99% of people would have missed it as they read the title and then skim the post at best and skip over the post at worst.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Depends on the driver.  Having said that, with the report showing the massive number of times human drivers have needed to intervene and take over?  I'd say that no, they're not ready for prime time (and won't be anytime soon).

I don't think it's ready YET, but at the end of the day I think self-driving cars will be superior as a whole -- on an individual by individual basis you might find that a very small percentage of drivers are actually better, but certainly not a large percentage (again, once it's working well). There also needs to be more heavy integration -- like smart roads, and of course self driving cars will always be at a disadvantage when the roads are still unpredictable morons.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

But can it tell if I'm choking?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

32 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

In fairness, it could very well have been there and 99% of people would have missed it as they read the title and then skim the post at best and skip over the post at worst

Aren't all edits visible to the mods?  can't they just tell us if it was edited?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why is this thread still active

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I just read the OP again,  even now it doesn't acknowledge the study included android wear and the percentage split is unknown. In fact there is only one line concerning android and It insinuates quiet the opposite,  that there isn't anything on android but that the tech can be used buy android wear.  I guess the fact it already is used by android wear and was part of the study escaped the OP.   So regardless if it was edited or not, the OP still is very biased and is not reflective of the actual news. 

Edited by GoodBytes

Just now, mr moose said:

I just read the OP again,  even now it doesn't acknowledge the study included android wear and the percentage split is unknown. In fact there is only one line concerning android and It insinuates quiet the opposite,  that there isn't anything on android but that the tech can be used buy android wear.  I guess the fact it already is used by android wear and was part of the study escaped the OP.   So regardless if it was edited or not, the OP still is very biased and is not reflective of the actual news. 

Fitbit is very popular, and is part of the study. It is low cost, actually a sport smart watch, and has an app with a focus on sports tracking. Well reviewed, and low cost (compared to many smartwatches).

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Aren't all edits visible to the mods?  can't they just tell us if it was edited?

Based on the logs that I am seeing, DrMacintosh did not edit the original posting or title.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Based on the logs that I am seeing, DrMacintosh did not edit the original posting or title.

That settles that then.  Now people can get on with separating the facts from the fanfare.

How useful is this really though? Any doctor nurse can probably get an 85% accuracy rating by looking at you and asking what you had for lunch.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress