Monitoring temperatures on AMD Athlon X4 880k

DragonRider

Hello.

I am havng trouble monitoring temperatures on my AMD Athlon X4 880k CPU. Every program shows different readings (when idling):

Bios: 37°C

HWiNFO64: 56°C (fixed typo, i wrote 42°C)

Speccy: 50°C

CAM: 57-64°C (fluctuates constantly)

AIDA64 doesnt show total CPU temp, instead every core is 3°C

AMD Overdrive shows "thermal limit" 61-68°C

I reticently got this CPU and a Mobo. Are these readings normal for these chips? Could the CPU or mobo be faulty?

Full specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

AMD Athlon X4 880k Stock Cooler

Asus A68HM-PLUS 

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz (11-11-11-30)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)

223GB KINGSTON SUV400 SSD

931GB Seagate ST1000DM HDD

520W Cooler Master PSU

Something I was taught when I first got into computers was that the temp you should probably trust the most is the reading from the BIOS. If you need to read temps from within the OS I've trusted RealTempGT and HWiNFO. Speccy has always been really meh... for me. I would always see significantly higher temps using it versus any other monitoring software.

9 minutes ago, DragonRider said:

HWiNFO64: 42°C

Idle using what I'll presume is the included stock cooler these are fine temperatures. Last I recall older AMD chips preferred to stay under 50C at load. Might want to test that and see where it goes.

16 minutes ago, DragonRider said:

Hello.

I am havng trouble monitoring temperatures on my AMD Athlon X4 880k CPU. Every program shows different readings (when idling):

HWiNFO64: 42°C

Speccy: 50°C

CAM: 57-64°C (fluctuates constantly)

AIDA64 doesnt show total CPU temp, instead every core is 3°C

AMD Overdrive shows "thermal limit" 61-68°C

I reticently got this CPU and a Mobo. Are these readings normal for these chips? Could the CPU or mobo be faulty?

Full specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

AMD Athlon X4 880k

Asus A68HM-PLUS 

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz (11-11-11-30)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)

223GB KINGSTON SUV400 SSD

931GB Seagate ST1000DM HDD

A12 9800 APU FTW!!! (When it comes to low cost Bulldozer Based)

15 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Something I was taught when I first got into computers was that the temp you should probably trust the most is the reading from the BIOS. If you need to read temps from within the OS I've trusted RealTempGT and HWiNFO. Speccy has always been really meh... for me. I would always see significantly higher temps using it versus any other monitoring software.

Idle using what I'll presume is the included stock cooler these are fine temperatures. Last I recall older AMD chips preferred to stay under 50C at load. Might want to test that and see where it goes.

I also trust the BIOS temp as well. I was trying to compare those temps with the in OS temps but I couldn't do consistent results. I'm using the stock cooler.

Also mistake in OP: HWiNFO64 temps had a -12°C modifier (was doing some testing, a friend told me that -20 is the actual temp). So actually that would be 54-56°C idling. But even that feels wrong because stress testing the CPU makes HWiNFO64 read 82°C! Surely that can't be real, given AMD states the max temp should be 72°C.

I tried making the CPU temp in HWiNFO64 go as high as it can (84°C), then quickly went into bios and checked the temp - 40°C. But surely the CPU would have cooled itself before I got into the bios.

Any ideas how to set HWiNFO64 to read accurite temps? Or how to do tests?

3 minutes ago, DragonRider said:

I also trust the BIOS temp as well. I was trying to compare those temps with the in OS temps but I couldn't do consistent results. I'm using the stock cooler.

Also mistake in OP: HWiNFO64 temps had a -12°C modifier (was doing some testing, a friend told me that -20 is the actual temp). So actually that would be 54-56°C idling. But even that feels wrong because stress testing the CPU makes HWiNFO64 read 82°C! Surely that can't be real, given AMD states the max temp should be 72°C.

I tried making the CPU temp in HWiNFO64 go as high as it can (84°C), then quickly went into bios and checked the temp - 40°C. But surely the CPU would have cooled itself before I got into the bios.

Any ideas how to set HWiNFO64 to read accurite temps? Or how to do tests?

I cannot give proper testing advice because I have none. Unless you have a temp monitoring meter with a wire that you can insert in between the die/IHS and the cooler itself to see what the real temp is then calibrate realtemp accordingly. Even then that's not a perfect testing method.

36 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

i used to believe the same thing, until i learned that the bios does not run the proc much. when you start windows, the chips has to work some.

what cooler are you running with the 880k? you gotta remember that is a 95w chip and its clocked at 4.0. so with a stock cooler your idle temps will be around 42-45.  i own a x4 845 and had to change to a copper base with pipes cooler.

3 minutes ago, agello24 said:

i used to believe the same thing, until i learned that the bios does not run the proc much. when you start windows, the chips has to work some.

True. I always expect the temp to go up once windows boots. However certain platforms it's the oppose. While in BIOS the CPU will run full clock & full voltage (high BIOS temp) but once in windows it will underclock and under volt itself (low OS temp) until a load is detected.

In the end is this kind of wonky temp readings "normal"?

Is there something not working as intended on the hardware side?

1 hour ago, DragonRider said:

In the end is this kind of wonky temp readings "normal"?

Is there something not working as intended on the hardware side?

i think its working fine. my personal rule is. if its running fine at 60-65 full load, then dont worry. BUT thats only for chips 95 watts and lower for me.  what cooler are you running with it?

17 minutes ago, agello24 said:

i think its working fine. my personal rule is. if its running fine at 60-65 full load, then dont worry. BUT thats only for chips 95 watts and lower for me.  what cooler are you running with it?

Stock

XvZ5A96.jpg

it would be the cooler in my opinion.  i has a similar cooler on my fx 8310 and had to change to a better cooler. ended up getting the the deepcool BETA 400 ST. which worked better than the stock cooler.  when i built my daughters the x4 845, i replaced the new red stock cooler with this BETA 400 ST. i was getting temps around 67 with stock and now with the BETA 400 ST, its stable around 55-57 at full load.  HOWEVER the stock cooler you have should be controlled by the asus utility software. AI Suite 3 v3.00.13. that usually controls the fan in an ok manner. so in all, just get a CM evo 212 or an enermax cooler.

4 minutes ago, agello24 said:

it would be the cooler in my opinion.  i has a similar cooler on my fx 8310 and had to change to a better cooler. ended up getting the the deepcool BETA 400 ST. which worked better than the stock cooler.  when i built my daughters the x4 845, i replaced the new red stock cooler with this BETA 400 ST. i was getting temps around 67 with stock and now with the BETA 400 ST, its stable around 55-57 at full load.  HOWEVER the stock cooler you have should be controlled by the asus utility software. AI Suite 3 v3.00.13. that usually controls the fan in an ok manner. so in all, just get a CM evo 212 or an enermax cooler.

Thank you for the info and I really don't want o sound rude but I originally wanted to know how to monitor the temps. I am not worrying about the temps being too high or anything, just for info. You telling me that I should be fine at X degrees doesn't help me much when I cant measure that. Again, not trying to sound rude. I appreciate your help.

9 minutes ago, DragonRider said:

Thank you for the info and I really don't want o sound rude but I originally wanted to know how to monitor the temps. I am not worrying about the temps being too high or anything, just for info. You telling me that I should be fine at X degrees doesn't help me much when I cant measure that. Again, not trying to sound rude. I appreciate your help.

nope your not rude at all. its my fault for misreading the post.  each software you mentioned reads a different probe. the only two i go with are speedfan and the one that comes with the asus software.

15 hours ago, agello24 said:

nope your not rude at all. its my fault for misreading the post.  each software you mentioned reads a different probe. the only two i go with are speedfan and the one that comes with the asus software.

What is this "asus software" you mentioned?

Ok I found a solution.

Both Speedfan and Asus AI Suite 3 show consistent temperatures like those in the bios.

Thanks for everyone for the help!

On 2/10/2018 at 4:14 AM, DragonRider said:

Ok I found a solution.

Both Speedfan and Asus AI Suite 3 show consistent temperatures like those in the bios.

Thanks for everyone for the help!

those are the two that i use.