macOS v Windows 10 v Linux

TheCheese
Message added by Energycore

Reminder to keep topics on comparing OSs civil, no flame wars lest we lock the thread.

macOS is simply put the best OS to get work done. Be it writing a document in Pages or rendering a video in FinalCut or making a song in Logic, macOS is simply the best.

Windows is good for being a generic OS that can do everything macOS is good at, just not nearly as nicely. Windows also happens to be the best platform to play games on, period. 

Linux is, well, uhhh, nobody uses Linux because well, nobody uses Linux and simply put, all the various versions out there are inherently crap. If the OS is free it’s nit going to be great, that’s just how the world works. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 3/12/2018 at 4:35 PM, karaRobert said:

Windows 10, because it's easy to use

I do not agree, have you properly used a recent mac?

On 2/7/2018 at 6:20 PM, TheCheese said:

Which one is the best and why?

Que the flame war but personally the only thing i can see MacOS being useful for is if you're a iOS / OSX App developer anything else can be done better or the same on Windows. Linux is more of a "nerd fest" style OS. Very use for pen testing if you get Kali Linux

14 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

....Linux is more of a "nerd fest" style OS.

What? What about the people using it for school? What about people using it on lower end hardware? What about people not using it because they're a geek? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

What? What about the people using it for school? What about people using it on lower end hardware? What about people not using it because they're a geek? 

That's why i put in quotes, and i've never heard a school using Linux here in the UK, in the UK Linux is mainly used by either universities (which are different than 'schools') Business to act as web servers for example or geeks wanting to play around with it

Also i never stated it was a bad thing to be a geek or nerd. Also lower end hardware again i hear more people using Android on low end hardware rather than Linux

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

That's why i put in quotes, and i've never heard a school using Linux here in the UK, in the UK Linux is mainly used by either universities (which are different than 'schools') Business to act as web servers for example or geeks wanting to play around with it

Also i never stated it was a bad thing to be a geek or nerd. Also lower end hardware again i hear more people using Android on low end hardware rather than Linux

This is just my opinion. Linux is used everywhere here in the US from my experience. Sure, it's used on servers and stuff, but it's also put on thousands of computers given to schoolkids in my state. I'm volunteering at a place that does that tomorrow. There are some schools who use it around here, although it is mainly Windows and ChromeOS. People I know could sit down in front of something like Mint and just go to work, thinking it's just a different version of Windows. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

This is just my opinion. Linux is used everywhere here in the US from my experience. Sure, it's used on servers and stuff, but it's also put on thousands of computers given to schoolkids in my state. I'm volunteering at a place that does that tomorrow. There are some schools who use it around here, although it is mainly Windows and ChromeOS. People I know could sit down in front of something like Mint and just go to work, thinking it's just a different version of Windows. 

Here in the UK Linux is more of a niche OS and not as much time is put into Linnx as Windows, here the general way of thinking is that unless you wanna pay for training (Whether uni course or business training course) in order to get familiar with Linux you have to learn it off your own back

Not saying that our way is the best way i for one do believe in letting people experience as much "real life business tech" as possible

Case and point i studied IT at A Level (School for people aged 16 to 18) and i didn't learn anything about Routers/Switches (Did that off my own back and working for companies after graduating uni) there yet i speak to people in the Netherlands who are 16 ish and they are doing that kind of thing

OFC School courses could have changed since i went; i mean it was almost a decade ago since i did my A Levels

On 2/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, TheCheese said:

Whichever OS let's you (specifically; YOU) be most productive or get the job done faster so you can get paid faster. Personally, I'm platform agnostic. I do prefer Windows only because I was raised on it, but all OS's have ways to accomplish common day-to-day tasks. It's only when you get into specific use-cases that one starts to lean toward a certain OS for productivity or work purposes, but again, this totally depends on what programs you need to use too.

Personally, I'd be running Linux if more software developers gave it the attention it needs in order to flourish in a productive environment, but right now, it's not there yet, so I'm stuck on Windows. I'd need the Adobe CC Suite, or at least Serif Affinity Software, to be available on Linux, along with things like Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise E3 (or higher) applications, and games in order to make the switch. And yes, I know the alternatives to the above software and more - my hobby prior to working in the IT industry was researching alternative programs to common software like Word, Excel, Photoshop, FinalCut, etc. For example, I've known about Sorenson Squeeze for years before LTT first setup their video ingest server, despite it being an enterprise application.

The reality is that in the world of business consulting involving more than just delivering creative works, one must support both MacOS and Windows as much as they can, since Office and MS Exchange is still the defacto standard for business documents and hosted professional email addresses, and things like Final Cut and Sketch are defacto standards for most creative professionals, alongside other tools that either only run on MacOS, or just run better. Recreational users have more of a choice than I do as an IT Consultant, since I'm forced to remember the current plus up to last 5 versions of Windows or MacOS at any given time, so again, the best OS all boils down to what you use it for.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who used a MBP for my main work laptop, and has a nice gaming PC here are my 2 cents:

- Microsoft Office for MAC is better than the one for windows.... don't ask me why. It is more streamlined and runs well

- Photoediting with Adobe products has better functionality on OSX

- If you use an iPhone/iPad... etc they play nice with OSX

- It is darn stable* (* I did manage to brick a MacBook pro with a bad driver update for an Anker USB hub/ethernet)

That being said:

- Youre stuck with apple for OSX unless you Hackintosh

- Games run better on windows

- EndNote (citation manager) is way more stable in windows

- MS Exchange works better in windows

Honestly it depends on your workload. I enjoy OSX for my everyday use and while I'm on the road, but my Ryzen PC is my home workhorse/gaming set up.

Just look at what applications you plan on running. If it's browsing youre ok with either.

Now lets talk Linux/Ubuntu/FreeDOS... mmm yeah you need to know what youre doing with these. The user experience varies, but getting a stable Linux distro to work feels like an achievement

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a Windows fan/Mac hater, but Mac works really well too. Very intuitive design. But gaming is still better on Windows.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018. 02. 28. at 8:49 PM, JohnVHSTapes said:

macOS for anything work related. Windows for all my gaming needs.

You are absolutely right, I've been using macOS for many years for getting jobs done, but all the cases when I think about gaming, Windows is the only one OS that comes into my mind. 

i love Apple's Mac OS. ever since i got my mac book pro late last year  its been been my daily driver, i only use my pc/windows for gaming now. ive even installed OSX on my main gaming rig and dual boot windows. 

Windows is really starting to piss me off and with the latest update, ive pretty much stopped using it apart from gaming, but i just get steam to launch in big picture mode.

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

On 2/7/2018 at 1:21 PM, Dell780 said:

There have been threads about this, it depends on the workload and the computer.

Agree, depends on what one wants out of the hardware and the setup.

I worked on both Windows servers, Linux servers, client machines of both, and some Macs.  Each has their pros and cons and do well within their strong suits.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

whe could have a whole discussion about the security of all the systems, but they all have their strong points and weak points. And of course their own virusses

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davidmichaels said:

But according to online privacy tips following are the most secured operating systems, ranked accordingly.

1. Windows OS
  2. Linux
  3. Mac OS

I find this hard to believe, especially when it's considering "privacy". It's been historically proven that Apple is more privacy protecting than Microsoft, Google and Feces book. Also, there is a much larger library of exploits and malware written for Windows, so as a base OS, It's almost impossible to believe Windows would be the most secure OS from these three. I'd say:

1. Linux

2. macOS

3. Windows

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It a question of philosophy seriously, if you want to don't break your mind to much go for Windows or Apple but for Apple you will pay a lot for the app. Windows you will pay too for the apps, but you have more potential, about download some open source. Gnu/Linux you don't pay, you donate or you make a contribution, that very rarely you pay, but you will break your mind often before become a good user. Finally it depend what you need, if you are a gamer, i think windows or console is the best. You will never know if you don't try, so try it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 11:50 PM, TheCheese said:

Well TBH they have their merits and demerits 

Moreover it depends upon certain stuff 

For instance I love Linux because it's open source and more secure if you are a privacy paranoid which I guess you are not you would prefer Linux and Linux is good in it's own way for server stuff for programming and compiling.

But it has demerits like lack of software support like windows and Mac moreover even though you can run windows stuff on it still it would be kind of you know it's always better to have a native support than emulator type 

Windows is popular among community it's all rounder it got everything for gamer and content creator it's popular but you can't use it for server related stuff 

Well I never had use a Mac so I can't share any opinion regrading it ( sorry for my English I am not an native English speaker I apologise for any kind of mistake )

On 2/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, TheCheese said:

All OS's are bad at some level. They all have serious problems. The perfect OS is one you don't know that your running, the OS that runs you car for example.. you don't think about it you just drive and do your tasks and never think about it.

My ranking is..

The no.1 best OS is FreeBSD. (Other BSD's are good for niche situations)

2nd best OS is Illumos (Open sourced Solaris).

3rd best OS is Mac OS X (I'm taking about just the OS, not the applications)

4th best OS is Linux (of distros Gentoo / Gentoo based is best but bad at stability)

5th best OS is Android (iOS is basically Mac OS with a different UI)

Rolling in somewhere lower is Windows and ChromeOS.

-

This is based on ease of use for people that like computers and are not afraid to read (Windows is NOT an easy OS at all despite the fact you may think you know it it's internals are extremely confusing.) and the technological abilities of the OS being things like memory management, file systems, isolation, privacy, security, customization, licence and freedom, scheduling and network performance.

No OS is great in all categories but overall FreeBSD checks most of the boxes. Illumos shows great OS engineering but it needs to come a little further to enter main stream. (If you want to find out more about Illumos check out Open Indiana aka Oi or OmniOS) - Mac's I have to begrudgingly admit that the OS is pretty good but I hate the application stack.

This list is NOT based on games or applications because those are 3rd party and have nothing to do with how good the OS itself is in isolation. If all games are written for Illumos then Illumos would be "best" at gaming. It's an illogical argument when talking about OS's.

OS's are a hobby of mine.. I've probably used more OS's than most of you can name.

Talking about Mac vs. Linux vs. Windows is like comparing shit, piss and vomit. None are really "good" it's just a matter of less bad. ;)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law