macOS v Windows 10 v Linux

TheCheese
Message added by Energycore

Reminder to keep topics on comparing OSs civil, no flame wars lest we lock the thread.

There have been threads about this, it depends on the workload and the computer.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Lets say for each category of computer

Server -

Workhorse - 

Thin n Light

Gaming Laptop etc

I personally prefer Windows to everything else I've tried. I can do everything including all my gaming on it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, TheCheese said:

What do you mean "each category"? You need to be specific.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

There have been threads about this, it depends on the workload and the computer.

pretty much as jamiec said

Personally Windows is best for me for uses like gaming etc as it is just easier without needing to deal with incompatability, as for storage I find linux is the better choice as there is linux distros designed for it. MacOS I am sure has it's uses but persoanlly I don't have one and if I did  it would be a hackintosh as I wouldn't pay the "apple tax"

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What do you mean "each category"? You need to be specific.

I edited this to include categories 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I personally prefer Windows to everything else I've tried. I can do everything including all my gaming on it.

Windows isn't great for stuff like file servers, like it's possible to do it with it, but just having a linux distro designed for it is just easier

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

Windows isn't great for stuff like file servers, like it's possible to do it with it, but just having a linux distro designed for it is just easier

Well for me, Windows is king. I didn't say it's the best overall. Like @Jamiec1130 said, it depends on system and workload.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, TheCheese said:

Server -

Workhorse - 

Thin n Light

Gaming Laptop etc

Server: Windows Server (Linux a close second)

Workhorse- Windows (insert version of windows here) PRO/ULTIMATE/ENTERPRISE

Thin n Light- Windows Pro/Home

Gaming Laptop etc- Windows Pro/Home

10 minutes ago, TheCheese said:

Server -

Workhorse - 

Thin n Light

Gaming Laptop etc

I think the question is too black & white but if I had to choose:

Server: Linux/*NIX

Workhorse: Windows (Just because of the amount of software developer support)

Thin n Light: As in laptop or easy to run on low-end hardware? Either way I like Linux. (I'm typing this on Ubuntu right now)

Gaming Laptop: Again Windows just because of the shear level of software support. (You need some background knowledge of Linux to do much of anything like when installing games, applications, and drivers. Windows just kind of does it all for you. You just have to keep clicking Next.

If MacOS had all the games that Windows does via at least Steam, it would be my pick for everything other than Server, where Windows or Linux would be the winners.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I think the question is too black & white

I think it's the other way around, the question is so general that it really depends on preferences ... apart from gaming where there's no real alternatives (not talking about consoles, and other OS don't have the catalog Windows have).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

I think it's the other way around, the question is so general that it really depends on preferences ... apart from gaming where there's no real alternatives (not talking about consoles, and other OS don't have the catalog Windows have).

When I said "black and white" that's what I meant. That the question was too basic/general and that the reality of it is more complicated and not easily explained in that fashion. I suppose I should have made that more clear.

Different kinds of cars, clothes, beer, games, houses, apartments, politics and operating systems (you name it) exists because a certain kind of thing does not fit everyone! xD

For your 4 categories, the simple answers are:

Server - Linux

Workhorse - OS X 1)

Thin n Light - Linux 2)

Gaming Laptop - Windows 3)

But long answers:

1) Depends on "Workhorse", which is a very vague concept. Say you are a media editor / content creator (with not a great degree of computer literacy), those users are often accustomed to OS X. But CPU/GPU heavy computing? Mining? Depending on the details, any of the three could be a good choice...

2) Some minimalistic Linux is the best choice for low-end hardware, for notebook usage etc.

3) For serious gaming and getting everything working on the laptop easily and OOTB, stay away from Linux. Only sensible solution is Windows. But if you feel adventurous, YMMV....

Server - Windows (I am DONE with spending 3 days configuring Linux just to end up in a corner crying)

Workstation - Windows/Linux dual boot

Thin n Light - OS X/Windows dual boot, mostly because I like MacBook aesthetics and they're pretty damn thin n light

Gaming Laptop - Windows, but I wouldn't buy a gaming laptop

Mobility laptop for school/work/travel - Windows/Linux dual boot

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I use Windows for my gaming PC, Linux for my work PC (SSD firmware development), and a Macbook Air for browsing from the couch. They all are great (and not so great) in their own ways.

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

On 2/8/2018 at 4:20 AM, TheCheese said:

Which one is the best and why?

here is a table on things about windows, macOSX (what it is called not masOS, that is for PowerPC macs and under) and linux, with pros, cons and my opinions

(my opinions are mine, you can try and argue but i will ignore you as people have the right to a opinion)

OS

Windows

MacOSX

Linux Distros

Pros

·Commonly used everywhere, no problem finding help for it

·Good if you like using the OS and apple proprietary hardware and software

· Free and a lot of distributions (different versions) to choose from

Cons

·Bugs, glitches and crashes in the OS, really not that great

·Really inflexible, also core OS changes happen so older software may not work at all (not even a compatibility mode... shame…)

·Incompatible with most software and requires a bit of time to learn how the OS works (not to mention that with each distribution is changed slightly to suit the user’s needs)

Great for

·Most things you want to do on a computer

·If you like apple and what to stay in the ecosystem for the foreseeable future

·Servers and things that other OS’s can’t do

Useless for

·Anything that requires custom workloads (e.g server render farm, there isn’t a app that can do this to my knowledge)

·A lot of things due to the OS architecture

(the way it’s designed)

·Running proprietary closed-source software

Recommended for

·Most people

·People who are in the apple ecosystem

·Tinkers and people who want to learn other OS’s

My opinion

·Does what it need to do, it’s an ass sometimes but it gets the job done

·Useless, highly annoying and limited. VERY LIMITED.

·Useful, very flexible and customisable, kind of annoying to get used to but still fun it use

edit: fixed some errors

Edited by Salv8 (sam)
fixed some errors

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

On 2/7/2018 at 1:27 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Well for me, Windows is king. I didn't say it's the best overall. Like @Jamiec1130 said, it depends on system and workload.

It is the best of you want the best possible  odds of catching malwares and viruses. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

It is the best of you want the best possible  odds of catching malwares and viruses. 

Common sense keeps me safe online, I don't visit sketchy websites or click on sketchy links. Beyond that, I haven't needed anything more than Windows Defender on Windows 10. I prefer Windows to any other operating system I've tried.

I use Linux for programming and school work. The main reason is that desktop is so much more responsive than windows. I can alt tap between different tasks so fluidly. This is awesome for multitasking.

ironically, I had been sticking to Linux for gaming as well. I did not use it for gaming initially but now I have bunch of macOS friends on my steam list and I can only play with them multiplayer on Linux or Mac.(the game is company of heroes 2 and it has no cross platform support) That prevents me from switching back to windows.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Same as wasab except that I create a Windows 10 KVM with GPU pass-through on my machine, so basically, I don't have to reboot into Windows to use Windows specific software when running on Linux. Linux is just overall much easier to be made secure than Windows when you configure Mandatory Access Control policy on Linux (SELinux) as opposed to Windows (Mandatory Integrity Control.)

Linux is just so much saner when it come to programming, basically all of the headers file you need are just sitting in /usr/include while Windows have it all over the place. With Nix Package Manager, you basically have a rollback feature built in so that whenever software update goes wrong, you just roll it all back while on Windows when one of the update make critical error, you're out of luck and have to restore from backup if you have one.

Least to be said, I am not a fan of Windows and I can see myself stop using Windows in the next 2 years thanks to cross-platform technologies that are being developed to make it easy to port applications across platforms with less testings especially with LLVM/Clang.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, TheCheese said:

Which one is the best and why?

I've used all three (OSX/macOS and windows more extensively than Linux) but it really depends on the workload. For gaming Windows all the way. I actually switched my MBP to windows exclusively so I could play some less intense games on the go. For productivity, macOS is the way to go. The UI is clean and it works great on Apple hardware. Personally, I've found video encodes to go faster on macOS than windows but it might be other factors. I love macOS but it just needs better compatibility.

macOS for anything work related. Windows for all my gaming needs.

Your's Truly