Which storage would you prefer?

I'll be upgrading to a new motherboard/cpu combo soon, and after swapping out those parts I'll have enough spare parts to put together a 2nd pc except for a form of storage.

I'll be buying a brand new drive to complete the old computer (Really don't want to skimp a few dollars and buy a used drive that could be potentially end of life)

If you were buying a computer, which would you be more likely to buy?

One with a 500gb Solid State Hard drive (SSHD) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179112&cm_re=500gb_sshd-_-22-179-112-_-Product

Or one with a regular 1TB HDD https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339&cm_re=1tb_hdd-_-22-236-339-_-Product

Both cost roughly the same, and $50 is about as much as I'm willing to spend on a part that I'm just going to putting into something to sell.

And I'm aware you can get a 120gb SSD for the same price, but that's not even worth considering without having a 2nd drive to compensate for the lack of storage.

On the one hand the extra speed is nice of a SSHD (I have the 1tb version of that model linked) but Craigslist browsers might see the 500gb capacity and be turned away from it. Just the same, they might see the fact that the 1tb drive is a slow mechanical and get turned away just the same. Which would you choose? 

Regular one

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I'd just get the standard 1TB hdd, SSHD aren't really worth it in my opinion.

I mostly agree. Although it is pretty close to regular SSD speeds for the most frequented games you play. If you only play like 3 games, those get cached to the faster portion of the drive - but if you have a lot, then at that point you're better off with mechanical for sure. Though boot times are appreciably better. The only thing that I'm really considering is the psychological aspect of it. Seeing the word Solid State is just such a hypetrain word these days, that I question if it would make someone more likely to buy something. Especially considering that if they're looking for an entire computer on Craigslist, it's probably not someone comfortable enough to build their own and those hype words might have a bigger impact on them. Kind of like people being convinced that gold plated HDMi is substantially better than non. 

I've had good results with SSHDs in the past, especially with slower hardware (old netbooks for example). I was running one in my desktop for a while (as my steam library, pointless, but it was there so I used it).

If you aren't planning on upgrading, I'd consider the SSHD, if there is going to be budget later on, go the standard HDD and save some spare change for a SSD later on (or check the used market for one).

Aurora | Built April '22
CPU: Intel i7 11700K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 | GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB), Corsair MP400 (1TB) | PSU: Corsair RM1000

Moonlight | Built March '17
CPU: Intel i7 6900K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 | GPU: NVidia GTX 750Ti Storage: Intel 600P (512GB), WD Red (4TB) | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Cooling: Corsair H105 | Setup post >here<|

1TB HDD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016